TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

That's a different way to mount the front plate

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tizio, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tizio

tizio Member

Parked next to another X that had a unique solution to the mandatory front plate rule in WA. It's a sticker that is an excellent reproduction of the normal metal plate. Seems counterproductive if your goal is to not modify the number, but I suppose that wasn't their plan.

Anyone else seen this? IMG_20170714_144349.jpg

2. McManX

McManX Member

I think someone posted about doing this before.

Might work to deter getting pulled over but you'd still get a ticket once they see it's a sticker

3. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

Seen people cut out everything but numbers on the front of their X. Would consider doing it to my new X but will keep without plate until the po-po catch me:cool:

• Like x 1
  4. tizio

tizio Member

Meant to say "modify the bumper" not "modify the number"

5. Nosken

Nosken Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Pretty

Pretty Member

I haven't seen it like this before, but are you sure it doesn't violate the traffic rules?

7. modamoda

modamoda Member

well.. he even doesn't need to do this. According to WA law - if car is manufactured without front license plate mount, owner can request exception. I saw many cars without front license plate

RCW 46.16A.200: License plates.

8. brd7

brd7 New Member

I really like this idea.. I am not looking forward to installing the mount when my plates finally show up in a couple weeks.

Even if you can have an exception, I wonder how many cops wouldn't know that it is OK and give you a ticket that you would have to fight..

9. modamoda

modamoda Member

"Exception" does not mean hard to be approved. In fact, cars without front plate are pretty common in WA.

10. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

Exceptions are very difficult with the WSP. They basically define it as any car that cannot get a plate mounted for some extenuating circumstance. The model x and s per their definition can have plates mounted. They don’t care that holes need to be drilled. They will call Tesla and ask if a plate can be mounted or if a mount is provided. An argument for aesthetics, efficiency or parking sensors will be ignored.

The sticker does not count as a plate. Like someone mentioned it might prevent a pull over but is not considered legal.

Some people use the LAW plate holder for the x, I don’t care for it as a slight bump from another car will crack your grill (where it’s attached).

11. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

EEFDF2E5-B003-4193-84B8-CC0C0456EF2A.jpeg My rejection in WA state.

• Informative x 1
  12. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

Also forgot to mention, would have been courteous for you to blur the plate number. Not sure how many people want plate numbers floating around especially if it’s not considered 100% cush with the WSP.

13. NorthofYYZ

NorthofYYZ New Member

This thread got me thinking about this, and some quick Googling led me to this: licenceplate.ca

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, other than that I'm thinking about ordering one from them for my X. There is an option on the site for US plates.

14. Xtek

Xtek Member

I've been driving in WA (Downtown Seattle, Kirkland, Bothell areas) for over 4 years with no front plates on my very loud V8 Audi S6 and my Model X with no issues. Technically in WA parking enforcement can give you a ticket as well. In those 4 years I've unofficially been given 4 speeding tickets, in none of the stops did I receive an infraction for it. Even if I did I would consider it a beauty tax. Ain't doin' that to the Model X.

• Like x 1
  15. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

Same here..

16. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Interesting. I don’t see anywhere on the site where they make any statements / claims about whether this is legal in Ontario. Living in Ontario, my experience is that the police seem to be pretty “rigid” about these types of things - never seen this before but looks very interesting.