Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That's me priced out of a Models S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not on rock star wages but had calculated around 5 months ago that I could afford the payments on a 70D and was looking forward to taking the plunge in a couple of months time when finances aligned for me.
Since I first looked, the price has risen about £6700.
Yes the PICG has gone down by £500 and the exchange rate has dropped at the end of the year but not to that extent.

The recent price rise can only be for the facelift, but sorry, it's not worth a £4200 rise.
If TESLA wanted to distance the S from the 3, then maybe the premium pack should have been added as standard and account for a price rise.

For now, I'm just going to have to stick with my A6 and see what develops over the next couple of years.

I'm out too!! Not just because of the price rise, but that was the final nail in the coffin.

It's a nice car, but for me it doesn't justify the price tag when I compare what else I can get for the money (and £90,000 gets you a very nice motor, even allowing for having to pay for fuel!)

I understand the attraction, the technology, the fact that it's a different approach to driving, but not at the current cost.

I have issues too with resale values, charger infrastructure and of the interior quality and materials used in the car. I know it's a new venture and I'm amazed how well they've done so far. Maybe I'll be back in a few years and see where they're at.

Good luck to current and future owners.

I hear what you're saying J1mbo. It's not that I can't afford the car, it's that in my opinion it doesn't represent value for money.

Other's will disagree of course, but for £90,000 I want more a more luxurious environment in which to drive. For that sort of money I can get in a nicely specified Porsche Macan (for example) with all the luxury and toys I want. I accept it doesn't have Autopilot and I have to put fuel into it and it won't do 0-60 in 4 seconds or park itself in my garage etc. Horses for courses I suppose and I guess it's just as well we all want different things, else the roads would be full of Tesla's and Porsche Macans...... and nothing else (in my world of course!!)

The other issue is the price differential of our RHD cars. It's unjustifiably high, even allowing for transportation costs, exchange rates, RHD economies of scale etc. I lived in the US for a few years and I'm still staggered by how much we pay for consumer goods in the UK; even in comparison to Europe in some cases.

Anyway, enough waffle. I will still smile when I pass a Tesla on the road and maybe in a year or two might be persuaded to purchase one. But not at the moment.

On the price differential, that'll be the VAT and delivery cost. (The USD price shown online is ex-tax).

Tesla are one of a small number of companies who do not indulge in "local market" pricing.

As for price: £90k will get a fully loaded 90D - thought you were looking at a 70D?

Vital:

Very true. In essence it's almost impossible to compare EV with ICE. The value you put on new technology or not polluting the planet is hard to quantify. As I said, I hope to be persuaded in time and even happy to pay a premium to do so. But not at the current price differential.

J1mbo:

No it wasn't me that was interested in a 70D, that was the OP (Altaa) You're exactly right, I was looking at a loaded 90D.

I'm just pleased to have ordered when I did back in December.
For a like-for-like spec, albeit mine being an 85D vs a 90D (but what's 20 odd miles between friends), the cost on the configurator today is £10k more than my final invoice value!
Prices certainly do appear to have ramped up exponentially.

It sucks for the UK, but at least half of the change in the last year can be put down to exchange rate changes; it's gone down from nearly $1.6 to just over $1.4 to £1 in the last year or so.

GB devaluation is due to Brexit vote so Tesla should go down in price in 2Q16 if your EU neighbours give you enough hugs.

If your going to buy an ICE car such as a Porsche then just bear in mind in 4 or 5 years time its going to look very "old" technology. Values for those types of cars go down rapidily in normal times, let alone on the verge of a electric car revolution.

If your going to buy an ICE car such as a Porsche then just bear in mind in 4 or 5 years time its going to look very "old" technology. Values for those types of cars go down rapidily in normal times, let alone on the verge of a electric car revolution.

I don't think electric adoption will be that fast, we're enthusiastic, general public will take 15 years to switch in droves I think

It is a shame that the prices have gone up so much; it's a nature of exchange rates moving so much in a short amount of time. My guess is that once the Brexit issues is resolved - my hunch is that the vote will be to stay in the EU - then the rates will shift back in the favour of the pound against the dollar, and prices should drop.

For this reason I'm holding off on considering a MS.

I don't think electric adoption will be that fast, we're enthusiastic, general public will take 15 years to switch in droves I think

Lawtq

Maybe 9 years?

Will Norway ban gas & diesel cars by 2025? - 100% renewable - Renewables International

Will Norway ban gas & diesel cars by 2025?
German bloggers report that the Norwegians are looking into adopting a National Transport Plan with 100 percent electric cars, buses, and small trucks by 2025 for new vehicles. There seems to have been no news at all about this in English even though the plans are quite advanced and could soon become law.

The plan itself is available as a PDF, but only in Norwegian – and I cannot read it (the thing has 334 pages). But according to one German blogger, Norway plans to ban sales of new cars that are not electric within 10 years. The only exceptions would be larger vehicles – but even 75 percent of coaches and half of heavy trucks would still have to be electric by 2030.

The plan was published at the end of February and is now waiting for approval in Norwegian Parliament. More than a fifth of new cars sold in Norway are already electric.

Another German blogger explains that Norway aims to spend 1 billion euros on bike paths from 2018 to 2029, the timeframe for the National Transport Plan.

Given the length of the PDF, one wonders why this has not been reported on more widely. Apparently, the plan is quite detailed and specific and only needs adopting in Parliament.

Norway itself is reliant upon offshore oil and gas production for much of its income, but this source of revenue is being squeezed out from two directions: production itself is dropping, and prices have plummeted over roughly the past year. The country may well be looking for ways to protect itself from a market that made it rich – but is now coming to an end.

Let’s see what news we get in the next few weeks, and if you know of anything yourself do drop us a comment below.

Lawtq

Maybe 9 years?

Will Norway ban gas & diesel cars by 2025? - 100% renewable - Renewables International

Will Norway ban gas & diesel cars by 2025?
German bloggers report that the Norwegians are looking into adopting a National Transport Plan with 100 percent electric cars, buses, and small trucks by 2025 for new vehicles. There seems to have been no news at all about this in English even though the plans are quite advanced and could soon become law.

The plan itself is available as a PDF, but only in Norwegian – and I cannot read it (the thing has 334 pages). But according to one German blogger, Norway plans to ban sales of new cars that are not electric within 10 years. The only exceptions would be larger vehicles – but even 75 percent of coaches and half of heavy trucks would still have to be electric by 2030.

The plan was published at the end of February and is now waiting for approval in Norwegian Parliament. More than a fifth of new cars sold in Norway are already electric.

Another German blogger explains that Norway aims to spend 1 billion euros on bike paths from 2018 to 2029, the timeframe for the National Transport Plan.

Given the length of the PDF, one wonders why this has not been reported on more widely. Apparently, the plan is quite detailed and specific and only needs adopting in Parliament.

Norway itself is reliant upon offshore oil and gas production for much of its income, but this source of revenue is being squeezed out from two directions: production itself is dropping, and prices have plummeted over roughly the past year. The country may well be looking for ways to protect itself from a market that made it rich – but is now coming to an end.

Let’s see what news we get in the next few weeks, and if you know of anything yourself do drop us a comment below.

Wow