Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That's why I am in favour of pre-collision automatic systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on speed. If the speed is simply too high, it cannot be avoided. It can only optimize short reaction time and max braking, thus lower impact speed.

IMO an automatic pre-collision system could also turn the steer and do one thing that a human person in a panic situation couln't do. Then if the accident couldn't be avoided it could at least be mitigated.
The system could also warn the driver that in that particular situation he is driving too fast.

IMO an automatic pre-collision system could also turn the steer and do one thing that a human person in a panic situation couln't do. Then if the accident couldn't be avoided it could at least be mitigated.
The system could also warn the driver that in that particular situation he is driving too fast.

Adding steering to the mix is at least three orders of magnitude more complex. Jumps the curb, hits a pedestrian isn't going to cut it.

Adding steering to the mix is at least three orders of magnitude more complex.

That's right. But the pre-collision system could be designed to implement this function anyway. Google is going to implement full automatic driving systems (which in my opinion wouldn't add any features of safety), so I think that a semi-automatic system able to steer at least in emergency situations could be implemented.

Last edited: