Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The “Tesla” wave. Is there such a thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was a Corvette owner, there was such a thing as the “Vette Wave”. It was nothing more than and acknowledgement, a nod or a wave to a fell Vette owner regardless of generation or year. Is there any form such as this within the Tesla communities around the world?
No there was none 8 years ago. So please don't wave at me cause I won't wave back. Buy a Jeep if ya want to wave.

In my town in the deep South (USA), there are just a handful of Teslas. So, yes, we actually wave at each other when we pass. And grin, because we appreciate that we're driving a car which is rarely seen in these parts.

Then again, in our town, we wave at lots of other folks, too. We're a rather friendly community. We even have Jeep owners, who wave a lot. ;)

Now, when I make my bi-monthly trip to the west coast (Bay Area), there's a Tesla every block; so there's no novelty out there like there is here. Plus, folks there just aren't the waving type, anyway!

Same here, so many here you'd be driving around like this...

kermit-the-frog-muppet.gif

No. I sold my Corvettes after 8 years of ownership because I couldn't stand every boomer thinking I was their friend, I don't need it in the Tesla. I feel there's a post every day in the various tesla groups with someone whining they didn't get waved at like they need validated by someone else in a similar car. *end rant*

• Disagree
Reactions: Tessie2020
I see a dozen Teslas every time I head down the valley, and I give a wave to them all. What does it hurt? I'm acknowledging that we belong to a special group of people smart enough to drive the best car on the road. As to waving at Jeeps, my relative bought a Jeep and was giving me a "ride" where we had to turn off the pavement and drive over the water filled ditch and into a field. For why?? I suspect it was the only chance he had to drive off road. I can go everywhere on pavement, or at least gravel roads, and it's frankly stupid to pretend you MUST have high clearance 4WD to make it to the store. The Jeeps I've been in are drafty and noisy, and ride rough. Not at all like driving a Tesla.

A couple years ago my wifey and I were out in the wilds of another state on a curving road. There were two Jeeps that figured that since they had four wheel drive they could go fast on an icy wet road. We caught up to them a few miles later, both off the road, upside down, interior contents flung all over the landscape. Didn't stop to see the damage as a semi driver had already pulled over and was on his phone. If a Jeep makes people so confident in their traction as to defy physics then I don't want one, and if they attract stupid drivers, I don't want to be around one.

I see a dozen Teslas every time I head down the valley, and I give a wave to them all. What does it hurt? I'm acknowledging that we belong to a special group of people smart enough to drive the best car on the road. As to waving at Jeeps, my relative bought a Jeep and was giving me a "ride" where we had to turn off the pavement and drive over the water filled ditch and into a field. For why?? I suspect it was the only chance he had to drive off road. I can go everywhere on pavement, or at least gravel roads, and it's frankly stupid to pretend you MUST have high clearance 4WD to make it to the store. The Jeeps I've been in are drafty and noisy, and ride rough. Not at all like driving a Tesla.

A couple years ago my wifey and I were out in the wilds of another state on a curving road. There were two Jeeps that figured that since they had four wheel drive they could go fast on an icy wet road. We caught up to them a few miles later, both off the road, upside down, interior contents flung all over the landscape. Didn't stop to see the damage as a semi driver had already pulled over and was on his phone. If a Jeep makes people so confident in their traction as to defy physics then I don't want one, and if they attract stupid drivers, I don't want to be around one.
Did you just compare the driving comfort of a tesla to a jeep??? Of course the jeep is going to be drafty.... The people you refer to in your post are what's called mall crawlers. A select few of us jeepers have purpose built rigs for overlanding or rock crawling and just happen to daily it at the same time

When I was a Corvette owner, there was such a thing as the “Vette Wave”. It was nothing more than and acknowledgement, a nod or a wave to a fell Vette owner regardless of generation or year. Is there any form such as this within the Tesla communities around the world?
I’ll wave at you if I ever drive through Canada. I’m a former Jeep owner. Nobody waves in the Bay Area but people seem to be less friendly in general here. I bet I’d get waves in SoCal!

Reactions: Carolina Karl
There's another TM3 owner I see around here all the time, mostly on the main road going to/from the grocery, I kept waving, finally she gave in, waved back.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled up near a TMS, jumped out, the driver was in the car (leaving), I gave him double finger guns, PEW PEW, he laughed and kind of gave me a salute.

My doctor says if I continue with this sort of behavior, he might have to up my dosages ...

I bet I’d get waves in SoCal!

Not really, although I will wave at some on occasion. Usually, I will give a thumbs up or something when you can tell the person "did something" to the car, like ones with nice aftermarket wheels, or a nice wrap (change of color or even a matte full body wrap), or something else where I can tell the person was excited about the car.

Teslas are common here (very, about as common as nor cal, we just have a lot more geography down here), depending on where you live, they are just as common as any other car in this particular class, and certainly not special.

The "wave" thing normally happens when people are feeling like they are "in a club" or part of a niche market or something.

Not really, although I will wave at some on occasion. Usually, I will give a thumbs up or something when you can tell the person "did something" to the car, like ones with nice aftermarket wheels, or a nice wrap (change of color or even a matte full body wrap), or something else where I can tell the person was excited about the car.

Teslas are common here (very, about as common as nor cal, we just have a lot more geography down here), depending on where you live, they are just as common as any other car in this particular class, and certainly not special.

The "wave" thing normally happens when people are feeling like they are "in a club" or part of a niche market or something.
I used to live in Hermosa Beach. I know they’re common down there. More just commenting on how grumpy everyone up north always seems to be. Must be the fog.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tessie2020