Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The «Full» in Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Owners Club‏ @Model3Owners 19h19 hours ago

Model 3 Owners Club Retweeted Elon Musk

Just in case there’s any doubt, every purchase of FSD includes the upgrade to the AP HW3 computer. Prices are going back up on Monday. I’d suggest you jump in now for the discount.

Model 3 Owners Club added,

Elon MuskVerified account @elonmusk
Replying to @TonyTesla4Life @tesla_truth and 5 others
Correct
50 replies 26 retweets 217 likes

Lies! My friend ordered FSD and still doesn't have HW3. Included? my shiny metal bottom!
</sarcasm>
:)

• Funny
Reactions: wcorey and Axael
Translation: Demand lever.

Depending how you look at it, it can serve a different purpose also.
If a person who bought a car under the old FSD wording buys FSD under the new wording-pricing, then that removes the cloud of liability for the other features (for that group of people).

With FSD defined by existing, or soon to exist, features, Tesla can also claim the FSD option price on the bottom line instead of tracking the implemented features in the liabilities section.

Depending how you look at it, it can serve a different purpose also.
If a person who bought a car under the old FSD wording buys FSD under the new wording-pricing, then that removes the cloud of liability for the other features (for that group of people).

With FSD defined by existing, or soon to exist, features, Tesla can also claim the FSD option price on the bottom line instead of tracking the implemented features in the liabilities section.

All those scenarios would mean it is a demand lever, though.

verygreen - you could very, very well be 100% correct. I don't have a crystal ball, and you have a lot of behind the scenes expertise that I certainly don't... But I think you should change your tag line from 'Curious member' to 'Jaded'. :)

Not jaded; skeptical. And unlike many here (including me) with detailed understanding. I’m ok with skepticism.

I am not discrediting the hw3 upgrade, I am just showing another thing that Musk said that is not really true unless you want to read his words really narrowly as "you can plug the new computer in under 30 minutes, but the car would be undriveable after that until you perform another 30+ minutes software mating procedure".
Are you referring to calibration? Yeah, I'd guess it took me about 30 mins for that. The car was 100% drivable though. EAP didn't work for that period of time. Once it said calibration complete, I pulled over into the breakdown lane either stopped the car and restarted or put it in park then back in drive to enable EAP. That was in a Model 3, I cannot attest to other models. I think I may have done the former but subsequently discovered I could have done the latter. I was only 30 mins in to having possession of the car at that point.

Are you referring to calibration? Yeah, I'd guess it took me about 30 mins for that. The car was 100% drivable though. EAP didn't work for that period of time. Once it said calibration complete, I pulled over into the breakdown lane either stopped the car and restarted or put it in park then back in drive to enable EAP. That was in a Model 3, I cannot attest to other models. I think I may have done the former but subsequently discovered I could have done the latter. I was only 30 mins in to having possession of the car at that point.

He is not referring to recalibration, he is referring to software mating of the in-car components after component replacement. The car is undriveable during this process.

Think of it this way: Mobile service tech drives in, swaps the computer, starts mating and then leaves... what if the mating fails or is interrupted... the car is undriveable with no tech around...

Yeah, the 30 minutes from Elon — especially together with Tesla’s goal of moving more and more to mobile techs who can’t just move onto the next car within the same premises usually — sounds unrealistic.

No, if you replace HW you need to redeploy / register all the hw bits, this takes 30min - 60min very similiar to a firmware update.

HW2 and AP2.0 cars are getting FSD. Mar 29, 2019 7pm

Full thread. 'FSD computer (HW3)' to AP 2.0 vehicles.

Mkl7zRC.jpg