Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The ‘Weight’ of EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 RWD yesterday but went in wanting the LR, but I couldn’t get over how heavy the LR felt to drive? Yes it was fast in a straight line, but I really felt the weight in the corners, it was like driving a boat, I didn’t like it at all, that got me worried but then I jumped in the RWD and that was way better, a lot lighter and nimble and the front end felt more sorted and direct, I loved it, and I don’t know why some people say it’s slow? It’s definitely fast enough, but I’m surprised nobody talks about the weight of EVs? I’ve seen heaps of reviews but it’s hardly mentioned? It’s kind of important lol, maybe it’s because I’ve driven hot hatches all my life is why I notice it so much? Anyway hopefully in years to come batteries get a bit lighter?

Reactions: BMW740iL
Strange that you found the RWD that much lighter.

With the heavier and less dense LFP batteries the weights are pretty close these days - 1750kg v 1820kg (whereas a 2019/20 SR+ is 1610kg). The big difference to other cars is the CoG is much lower which helps cornering.

Tesla takes out weight in other places to compensate for the battery (eg. A petrol BMW 3 series is about the same weight)

With the heavier and less dense LFP batteries the weights are pretty close these days - 1750kg v 1820kg (whereas a 2019/20 SR+ is 1610kg). The big difference to other cars is the CoG is much lower which helps cornering.

Tesla takes out weight in other places to compensate for the battery (eg. A petrol BMW 3 series is about the same weight)
Yeh I know it’s strange but I drove them back to back and the RWD just felt a lot lighter too me for some reason?

You're confusing awd feel with rwd feel. You confused the more planted awd with the more lively rear wheel drive and assumed the differnce was weight, rather than the front wheels having more resistance because they are also drive wheels. Both cars are within a passenger weight of each other and both cars are lighter than the equivalent Mercedes C class.

I‘ve had a RWD model S and AWD model S. The AWD definatelyhandled better than the RWD, but both I notice the weight around roundabouts and corners. I prefer smaller nimble 2 door cars however since having an EV, I now prefer an EV and that has become a non negotiable criteria. You also need to check the steering weight settings are the same in both variants. You can adjust them on the centre screen.

I‘ve had a RWD model S and AWD model S. The AWD definatelyhandled better than the RWD, but both I notice the weight around roundabouts and corners. I prefer smaller nimble 2 door cars however since having an EV, I now prefer an EV and that has become a non negotiable criteria. You also need to check the steering weight settings are the same in both variants. You can adjust them on the centre screen.
I think you're confusing traction with handling. There's no way a Model S out handles a Model 3 (I've had a lot of seat time in both). The Model S doesn't handle badly for a big sedan, but it's a lot heavier than a Model 3 and it shows it when it comes to handling. The new Palladiums might be different, but no one has one of those in Australia yet.

I think you're confusing traction with handling. There's no way a Model S out handles a Model 3 (I've had a lot of seat time in both). The Model S doesn't handle badly for a big sedan, but it's a lot heavier than a Model 3 and it shows it when it comes to handling. The new Palladiums might be different, but no one has one of those in Australia yet.
I was not comparing S to 3. my comment was comparing handling not traction between two types of S. I didnt even mention model 3.

I have an LR RWD that weighs ~3800 lbs and have driven both the perf 3 at 4000+ lbs and a SR which is supposed to be 3600 odd lbs. I could not tell the difference significantly between them. I am an enthusiast who loves to drive nimble and fast cars, and I was frankly surprised by my observations.

In fact, the AWD perf 3 I thought was a bit better balanced than my RWD while not feeling noticeably heavier.

The RWD SR 3 felt identical to my LR.

Compare that to the S. I drove a RWD S60 and AWD S85D back to back on the same road near my house long back when it was still new. There was an immediate difference. S60 felt lively, while 85D felt a bit confining and you felt the weight when changing lanes quickly or taking quick sharp curves.

Reactions: ARON44
Like I’ve said in my OP, I think it’s because I’ve always driven hot hatches? the heaviest car I’ve ever had is 1500kgs, and I’m currently in a car that weighs just under 1200kgs, so to go from that straight into something that’s over 1800kgs is a massive difference..