Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 10%: 350+ miles from SC, where to take delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 7 months of lurking on here, this non-car guy has learned a lot of things about cars and the Model S. While not sure what exactly "camber" is or what it does, I know it's NOT a kind of cheese or the latest hip baby name-that's-not-really-a-name.

I live in West Texas, about 350 miles from the Dallas SC and 375 miles from the Austin SC. The discussions of alignment and other issues (possibly caused on the truck during delivery) made me wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea if...I mean, WHEN :) the time comes for delivery to do so at one of the SCs, and drive it around for a few days in the city before coming back home. Just in case I feel a wobble or the 12v goes out, I'm right there. I'm planning on getting the unlimited Ranger service (seems like it takes a little more faith than I have to not do so living so far from an SC), but that would still add to the time between problem and solution.

Thoughts?

For the alignment issue specifically, is that something an SC would check/fix before delivery or would I have to specifically ask they check it first?

The only way to verify the alignment is to put the car on an alignment machine which isn't available at the SC.. well I don't know of one that owns a 50k+ alignment machine. Usually they outsource it to a mechanic shop. but the truth is I don't think you really have to worry about the alignment, it's bolted and aligned at the factory and it wont come undone just from being on a truck or driven around if nothing is wrong. From what I've heard they even fixed the camber issue where the inner part of the wheel is wearing out abnormally so they are aware of small issues and have taken the time to fix them at the factory.. so the truth is.. i wouldn't worry about it. :)

Larry

The Dallas SC has had an alignment machine since they opened months ago. How accurate it is, is another matter.

Ranger service is illegal in Texas. However, if you're not in Texas, then it's perfectly fine.

Ranger service is illegal in Texas. However, if you're not in Texas, then it's perfectly fine.

Oh snap, after 7 months on here every night I totally forgot about prior discussion about this (one in a thread I started, duh!). Lubbock is west of I-35 so I know a lot of Texans forget us, but we ARE still part of Texas. :)

Those threads mentioned that they can tow your car to the SC, so is that at least still the case as far as folks know? And is that part of the included warranty service or part of the additional service package?

To the original topic, does the dearth of responses on the point mean that no one really has an opinion on where to take delivery? That it's just a personal decision based convenience or preference and I shouldn't worry about at-delivery problems?

Lubbock is west of I-35 so I know a lot of Texans forget us, but we ARE still part of Texas. :)

I believe you could drive the car to somewhere like Portales or Lovington and get Ranger service there. I had Ranger service in Lincoln, NE when I was on vacation.

There may be a mileage limitation on towing, not sure about that.

For delivery, you could have the transporter deliver it to you rather than picking it up from the service centre.

Whoa, I can't even imagine how this could in any way be a logical course of steps that legislation took to reach this. Why would someone ban ranger service for fixing a car in a whole state. It's not even selling, it's fixing the bloody car...

In Texas it's simple. You pay the politicians, you get a law.

Here is the response I got from Tesla (on a Saturday!):

We definitely offer Ranger service in Texas --we won’t leave you stranded. If your car needs to brought into a Service Center, as part of our valet program we would drive to Lubbock, give you a P85 loaner car, service your car, and bring it back for you. If for some reason we can’t get you a loaner car, we would cover the rental cost for a Lubbock rental.

All of these things are part of our service plans.

You can ask for an alignment check at delivery but they may ask you to pay for it (not sure about that). 350 miles would mean maybe a 3-4 hour stop at an RV park so picking it up at the service center is possible if you were willing to do that. Congrats!