Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 100 32A IEC 62196 charging point is ready this Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/sites/default/files/epd/english/environmentinhk/air/prob_solutions/files/Medium_Charger_Locations_Government_Car_Parks_eng_2014072520140725.pdf

100 public EV medium chargers available for use in August (with photos)
The Environmental Protection Department (EPD) today (July 29) announced that a total of 100 new medium chargers for electric vehicles (EVs) will be available for public use starting from August 1. These medium chargers can reduce the charging time by as much as about 60 per cent compared with standard chargers.

The 100 new public medium chargers are located at 16 government car parks currently equipped with standard chargers. These chargers are suitable for recharging the batteries of both new EV models to be introduced into Hong Kong and most existing EV models. The distribution of the standard and medium chargers at the 16 government car parks is shown in the Annex.

The Chief Executive announced in the 2014 Policy Address that the Government would establish 100 medium chargers in various districts to shorten the charging time as part of the Government's ongoing efforts to enhance the charging network to encourage the wider use of EVs, which create no tailpipe emissions and thus help improve roadside air quality.

In addition to the new medium chargers, there are currently about 1,000 standard EV charging points and 10 quick chargers in various districts.

For more information on EV charging facilities and other EV information, please visit the EPD website (Promotion of Electric Vehicles in Hong Kong | Environmental Protection Department)

Actually EV Power told me they completed the installation end of June. But I am a bit disappointed that these 100 spaces are not reserved for EV.

I think the best we can hope for is that they reserve a few for EVs, and increase that number of slots reserved as the utilization increases.

It is bad that a car park has 20 EV charging bays all ICEd, but equally bad to have 20 EV charging bays wasted empty 99% of the time.

I think the best we can hope for is that they reserve a few for EVs, and increase that number of slots reserved as the utilization increases.

It is bad that a car park has 20 EV charging bays all ICEd, but equally bad to have 20 EV charging bays wasted empty 99% of the time.

There are 5 such upgraded chargers installed in a gov car park very near my home, I was very happy when I knew it. Then I had a few site visits, during weekdays, holiday, night and day times, 5 spots are occupied by ICEd cars all the time, never saw one available.

The EV hackathorn community has started to develop some smart phone apps to allow EV drivers to communicate on use of charging stations. Go Projects // Zero Emission InnEVation // Hacker League and search for "unplugged Hero", "evmover", etc for prototype.

Tried to search these things and come up with a family of persons who carries Hackathorn as last name ...

http://bit.ly/Xh9UjV

Huh?

River,

Similar situation at Cheung Sha Wan and Sai Kung. I complained lots, and now they cone off a couple of spaces for EVs. It seems pretty effective if we drive an EV there, and complain if unable to plugin.

yes, I had planned to do when I got my Model S, but since there are superchargers at Tai Tak, I should not go there for charging. Anything, I will do the complaint things. ~~

Last edited:
My apology. I did not realize I did not include the URL. The URL is Projects // Zero Emission InnEVation // Hacker League

They host EV hackahorn event every year in the Silicon Valley. I think it started by BMW, then this year was hosted by Nissan at the Nissan Research Center in Sunnyvale.

Ah, it's hackathon, not hackathoRn or hackahorn :wink: ... that makes more sense now - and sorry to all the Hackathorns for being Googled :)

Looks interesting.

This thread was/is about charging spots in HK. I think it will be essential about whether those spots are

- operational or not
- blocked by ICE cars
- in user by other EVs
- paid spots (calculate how much charge pr HKD?)

For a supercharger that will fill you up in less than an hour - it's fine to pay for an hour parking, but the charging spots close to me is a 13A charging spot. It's "free to charge" but the normal parking fee of either 18 or 24 HKD pr hour (depending on what time of day and week), means you can pay 900 to 1200 HKD for a full charge of a Model S 85! Well, including parking for two days that is ... but so much for "free charging" :rolleyes:

ChargePoint stations (chargepoint.net) do has status for each station (operational or not, in used by other EVs, whether the station is $ for e- and how much, parking fee) - see chargepoint.net, then click find stations. It is the best charging station in the market. I personally have one in my garage. They would like to find find a 3rd party to sell their stations in Hong Kong. If you can help, I can hook you up with the CEO and/or CTO.

Dropped by Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices today. This is what the new EVSEs looked like. Both 32A and 13A sockets available.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407323643.039362.jpg