Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 1000 VIN's are being allocated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after weeks of frustration and literally NO contact from Tesla at all (except the 3500 invoice nonsense and I didn’t even get the apology text) at last my VIN has also appeared - Blue/Black P3- 18” FSD upgraded from LR Order 21xx, Day1 reservation).

So a quandary - after all this waiting by all predictions many of us are going to be offered delivery in the last week or so of August. So what are people’s views on 19 vs 69 plate and delaying delivery to Sep? Surely Tesla are going to find it hard to get people to take delivery in last week of Aug on a 19 plate?
There's a poll here:
Poll: August (19) or September (69) Delivery

Thanks
Interesting that 2/3 would look to wait if offered a late July delivery. The reality with Triumph Ace will be a late August delivery so that feels like a lot of people are going to ask to sit on it until September. Will be interesting to see if Tesla try to reallocate those cars to people willing to take delivery on 31st August pushing us back to the next boat....

Thanks
Interesting that 2/3 would look to wait if offered a late July delivery. The reality with Triumph Ace will be a late August delivery so that feels like a lot of people are going to ask to sit on it until September. Will be interesting to see if Tesla try to reallocate those cars to people willing to take delivery on 31st August pushing us back to the next boat....
With my luck, they will schedule my delivery for early September and when I go to collect the car it will have been registered with the DVLA at the end of August (so 19 plate anyway). I would prefer a 69 plate if it is late August vs early September delivery, but I don't see myself playing that lotto and will be happy to get the car when it is ready for me...

Looking for an email address for another forum member, I stumbled across an email exchange when I queried why Tesla were not honouring FSD price when I first ordered.

At the time, I didn’t put much significance to them. But in later light of day, thinking out loud, they just raise more questions.

UK_sales 23rd May said:
As your current order has entered production, any changes would incur the increased difference (900 GBP) of Full-Self Driving as it would result in a new order and custom car being built separate to the order you had already placed.

Above implied when I added tow bar, I got new order but order number remained same 06xx

Later email implied that I my car would have been delivered or imminent by now, yet still no vin. This was based on changed order of adding tow and I asked about my delivery schedule.

UK_sales 3rd June said:
At present it will be either last week of June or early July. When the cars are closer to the UK we will provide you a firm delivery date and a VIN number

Seem to me that they contradict each other and info I verbally got from elsewhere that changing order quickly, did it day after tow was announced so couldn’t have been much quicker, had no effect on where you were in the queue. Info from 23rd May contradicts info on my booking invoice on account, ie it retained original invoice number.

Yet still no vin seems like it may reflect 23rd May email

Just thinking out loud

Last edited:
Does it happen to anybody too?

Dunno about today, per se, but there isn't any rhyme-nor-reason for VIN in source code. My best guess is that its an indication that an allocation has been made, but they get redone at times so I am doubtful you can read much into it. Beats me why any "unconfirmed data" is in the source code at all ... but Hey! this is Tesla ...

Half an ago I checked my source code for "5Y" - nothing.

Checked again just now and it's there! Nearly jumped out of my seat... Until I realised it isn't followed by a J... Its not a VIN

They're teasing me! :(
You’re best to search the source code for “5YJ3” as that will definitely be a Model 3 VIN. I do that because for some reason I’ve always had a Model X VIN in my source code, but alas, no Model 3! :(

SO I have had a call from Tesla to tell me that my M3, Black, SR+, AP only will be with me in August (ordered June), BUT I don't have a VIN in my source code.

I don't know what this means, or if it's of use to anyone? but I see so many people putting all their faith and passion into these mystical numbers and figured it might help qualm some people's fears? (Or possibly fuel more anger, but that's not my intention - honest!).

You’re best to search the source code for “5YJ3” as that will definitely be a Model 3 VIN. I do that because for some reason I’ve always had a Model X VIN in my source code, but alas, no Model 3! :(

Yes it's just laziness I search for 5Y as its never been there until today. Its just contained in some meaningless string of text, not even anything as exciting as a Model X VIN :(