Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 100th FWD panel gap thread - but mine is a specific question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up my car April 4th, love my model x 100d so far!

That said, I swear I went over my x with a fine tooth comb on delivery, but being that I went to the delivery center directly from the airport after a 16 hour flight (with my 4 year old daughter no less) there’s a chance I missed this one;

Today while washing my car I noticed a rather significant 1/4 inch panel gap between the drivers side fwd where it borders the driver side door. I checked the other side and and it’s flush, so definitely a gap.

Questions:
1. Is this significant gap dangerous in terms of water getting in where it shouldn’t and causing problems down the line?
2. I know I can take it to the service center, but how do they fix this exactly?
3. I’ve read about latches needing to be replaced from threads I found from 2006. Is this still a problem?

The car has been great so far, want to keep,it a while, just want to avoid issues down the road with such a complex / expensive piece. Btw, Ive read that it could be the drivers side door panel, and not the fwd, but I’m pretty sure it’s the fwd.

Thanks!

1. Congrats on your new X - you will love it!
2. You were washing your car - did water get in?

I've been fortunate on both of my X's my gaps lined up well. I have had seals issues that were identified at delivery and fixed (eventually) but did NOT have water intrusion issues, even with 60+" of snow with melt/refreeze/melt nothing entered my X except when I opened my front door (note to self - turn off automatic doors when you expect a large snowfall).

The good news is, if you notice any intrusion Tesla will definitely address it - but they are all water pressure tested at the factory so I think you will probably be OK - but some have had issues, though I think they are more the exception than the rule.

On the latches, I have not had a problem and, once again, on the forums you can always find an exception but, as I said before, I think these tend to be more the exception than the rule.

I got the extended warranty on mine specifically because of the FWD concerns and the fact that I plan on keeping the car for at least 8 years if not longer. Just a piece of mind.

Next time you are at the SC, simply ask the guys to take a look at it and give you their thoughts - the SC by me was always very upfront and had a service guy come out to look to determine what is within spec and what is outside of it. I would think road noise and wind may be a bigger issue than anything else with such a gap.

Don't fret too much, try to enjoy it!

Thanks everyone. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely lllllooooovvvee this car. I’ve never kept a car longer than two years, but this might be the one (I say that every time), especially since I bought, and didn’t lease. This is why I it concerns me, I want any structural issues handled now. I have four years of warranty, hoping to not have to use it at all (the warranty)!

Thanks everyone. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely lllllooooovvvee this car. I’ve never kept a car longer than two years, but this might be the one (I say that every time), especially since I bought, and didn’t lease. This is why I it concerns me, I want any structural issues handled now. I have four years of warranty, hoping to not have to use it at all (the warranty)!

can you post a pic of the fwd gap?