Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The $150- Rattle Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've got a post refresh 2016 Model S 90D. First, I love the car...

With that said, the new "we are going to charge you $150- for all squeaks and rattles after the first year" - thing REALLY ticks me off. Now, in full disclosure, they've tried to get me to pay it on two occasions, and, after throwing a fit (each time)- they waived the fee under good will.

This past week I had finally had enough listening to a rattle in my gauge cluster area. I took several videos of the sound as I was sure that only it wouldn't do it when I took it in. Thankfully, the guy hopped in the car, and it rattled like poorly assembled legos- which was a relief. It was so loud and noticeable that I thought for sure they weren't going to try and charge me to fix it. No such luck. After much "discussion" they agreed to fix it under the warranty.

I've owned more premium luxury cars than I can possible remember, and I've never had a car company bust my chops about fixing something under warranty that was clearly a manufactures defect.

This is a rant about an issue- but, this in not a reflection of how much I love my Model S. Maybe it is because it is so close to perfect that these things drive me nuts.

Not had my MX a year yet but had a few noise issues myself none of which have been fixed by the SC but because they could never replicate.

I almost know every inch of my car now after having removed lots of trim, thankfully I’ve fixed most issues but looking at the inside of the trim it’s clear Tesla could have done a lot more to insulate the trim etc.

Not had my MX a year yet but had a few noise issues myself none of which have been fixed by the SC but because they could never replicate.

I almost know every inch of my car now after having removed lots of trim, thankfully I’ve fixed most issues but looking at the inside of the trim it’s clear Tesla could have done a lot more to insulate the trim etc.
You are bold! I've never had the courage to attempt those things myself. Once I get out of the warranty period, I have a felling I'll be doing the same thing.

What’s the worse that can happen? You break a trim I guess but I have ocd about noise I did worry but when the SC told me they could not help I was like if I don’t sort it no one will.

Warranty wise.... nothing is gonna fail as a result of having a bit of felt tape stuck to it or a bit of oil on a dry joint bolt so I think your be good.

The headliner is a pint in the bum, I removed the trim from the FWD to find a noise which ended up being the top of the b pillar Ended up having to remove some of the racetrack “black trim around outer edge of FWD” I tell you it’s like Russian dolls with trim nested on trim on trim if you take your time you’ll be fine.

Yeah I recently took my 2015 P90D in for a rattle under the dash and they informed me about the $150 charge And i was pissed. However, I was able to get them to fix it after fighting with them. In my case it was caused by them replacing the passenger air bag (recall) and they must have broken a clip under the dash.

I also have that seemingly same rattle behind the cluster, sounds like something is loose, but I haven't taken the trim apart yet.

With that said, the new "we are going to charge you $150- for all squeaks and rattles after the first year" - thing REALLY ticks me off. Now, in full disclosure, they've tried to get me to pay it on two occasions, and, after throwing a fit (each time)- they waived the fee under good will.
After much "discussion" they agreed to fix it under the warranty.

I've owned more premium luxury cars than I can possible remember, and I've never had a car company bust my chops about fixing something under warranty that was clearly a manufactures defect.
FWIW... I've never owned a luxury brand car and at least for Nissan and Toyota, squeaks and rattle repairs are covered under the basic 3 year/36K warranty. I took my current '13 Leaf (bought used in 2015, built 5/2013) in not long before its 3 year/36K basic warranty expired to fix some buzzing noises. They attempted to fix but the noise still sometimes comes back and I'm out of warranty. Oh well.

I know that extended warranties/service contracts for Nissans specifically exclude any coverage for squeaks, rattles and interior buzzes.

I have a similar annoying rattle issue (MY15MS) I found out that the rattle was actually coming from a lose audio control button on the front left steering wheel. I have yet to address this with service. Anyone have a similar experience repairing?

Trying to see if te noise I have is what you guys noted behind the dashboard. It happens when I got over a bump with both wheels (typically I think). It's coming from right in front of the driver, I can't tell if it's right behind trim or deeper in dashboard. It sounds like spring rattle. Any ideas? SC wanted me to authorize 4 hours of work to fix that. If it ended up to a part covered under warranty, then they would wave. One hour of labor is $195...no comment
Any ideas what it might be? I don't mind disassembling the dashboard.

Trying to see if te noise I have is what you guys noted behind the dashboard. It happens when I got over a bump with both wheels (typically I think). It's coming from right in front of the driver, I can't tell if it's right behind trim or deeper in dashboard. It sounds like spring rattle. Any ideas? SC wanted me to authorize 4 hours of work to fix that. If it ended up to a part covered under warranty, then they would wave. One hour of labor is $195...no comment
Any ideas what it might be? I don't mind disassembling the dashboard.
dont know your issue specifically, but i had 2-3 REALLY annoying rattles when I bought my demo in december

Short story. There were a number of front suspension components/control arms, sway bar, etc, that had bolts that were not torqued to spec. One the SC narrowed it down and tigtened? Quiet as a mouse.

Funny thing is the sound appeared to come from the dash. TO my ear, didnt sound like that far forward

dont know your issue specifically, but i had 2-3 REALLY annoying rattles when I bought my demo in december

Short story. There were a number of front suspension components/control arms, sway bar, etc, that had bolts that were not torqued to spec. One the SC narrowed it down and tigtened? Quiet as a mouse.

Funny thing is the sound appeared to come from the dash. TO my ear, didnt sound like that far forward
hey Thanks for the pointer. After reading a bunch of threads related to front suspension, I wouldn't be surprised it is. I'll have to figure out some way to test. It also was not there before, so something got lose I guess, or broken.

I'm OCD about noises as well.

I bought my S75 back in August and it was a rattle box. Apart from several other warranty issues and delivery issues, the first couple of times I had it at the service center, they addressed some noises for me. I couldn't really tell if they fixed the noises because there were so many more on the interior of the vehicle.

Rather than drive my wife insane with my constant complaining of squeaks, rattles, and service appointments to get them fixed, I took an afternoon when I was bored to take this on. I had downloaded an app called "Tone Gen" and hooked it up via bluetooth to the sound system and turned it on at 60hz and put the volume in the car between 6-8. I sat in each seat and located every rattle that the sound system was making. The one that made the most noise which was surprising and one I never would have found without doing this was the drivers side window control button. I was shocked by how much this single button was rattling. This one was fixed with a tiny piece of felt tape I was able to slide into the side of the button.

After locating every rattle I could, I pulled any interior trim panel that seemed loose or made a sound when I tapped on the panel that didn't sound "tight." I lined every edge that was plastic on plastic/metal with felt tape so that it couldn't be seen so the tape would isolate any squeeks or rattles that each panel could make.

While doing so, I found several broken clips, loose clips, and pieces of plastic that were loose inside the interior panels. Beyond that, I found a couple of interior panels that were actually broken which have since been replaced under warranty. It seems that the previous owner had probably removed most of the interior panels to run a sound system inside the car and then removed it prior to turning it back into Tesla and did so without much care being taken for the panels.

I also found a gasket of sorts in the cross bar above my head that was originally secured with adhesive from the factory that had come loose and was rattling against the panel driving me absolutely insane being it was right behind my head.

All in, I spent about 2 hours doing this and two test drives later to make sure it was all fixed, my car is now as quiet as any car that I have owned. I'm surprised that I was able to get the car sounding as tight as it did being this was really easy to do. Just took a little bit of bravery on my part.

It cost me a single roll of felt tape for $10 off of Amazon and a "trim removal kit" for $9 off of Amazon.

Here are pictures of the piece that fell loose above my head that I discovered and I've attached it below. I don't have pictures of the broken panels anymore. I deleted them after sending them to Tesla for the service appointment.
4B67918E-F5CA-4229-BBD7-83A5F5929130.jpeg
4F94EE42-21D1-430C-9664-5AE706ADDE6B.jpeg

Great job!
Am thinking to take off lower dashboard panel (below steering wheel). I don't want to break any clips. Does anyone have pictures or a good video link showing where clips are or how to do it? Thanks

On a different note, has anyone tried to lift the upper dashboard without bending anything? During one of my ranger visits, he used two pump-up bag which allowed him to lift large area of dashboard cover at the same time and prevent bending (see: https://www.amazon.com/IMPROVED-Pro...ump-up+bags+for+lifting&qid=1589566160&sr=8-4)
It worked out very well. Anyone ever used it?

Last edited: