Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 1st week with my new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long is your commute?
$2700 a year on fuel is quite a bit. I fill up once every 6 days, at about 36 bucks a pop, and still am about $400 below you. My TDI gets 45 or so MPG and holds 14 gallons.
Is this going to be your commuter car? And based on your commute length, you might start really racking up the miles.
Yep. It's a daily driver. My commute is 110 miles round-trip. Figuring on 200K miles in the next 10 years.... (or more!). I'm hoping my TCO to be not too much more than a $35K honda or Nissan with my gas and maintenance savings....We'll find out if that is true.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sooner
Yep. It's a daily driver. Figuring on 200K miles in the next 10 years.... (or more!). I'm hoping my TCO to be not too much more than a $35K honda or Nissan with my gas and maintenance savings....We'll find out if that is true.

Did not give a distance ;)

Based on current commute, I will have 350k in 10 years.

EDIT: my commute is 104 miles round trip.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd document the source of my new avatar here. My avatar is finally my own car!
IMG_20180518_154114.jpg

Great write-up. Thanks for spending the time to do it! I've had mine for 2 days now and I've had a very similar experience to you. The very short version from me is that this is the most amazing and perfect car I've ever driven. I can hardly believe that something like this even exists (let alone that I own it) and I'm constantly giggling when I'm driving it. It's simply stunning visually and, as good as it looks in pics, I think it looks even better in person. When I want to drive it hard it handles very well and it's fast (big smile and giggles)! And, when I want to chill and just babysit EAP, it's very relaxing... or at least it will be with experience. Like you, I'm quickly figuring out where it excels and where it might not even be as good as a 16 y.o. driver. Even with its weaknesses, I still get a big smile (and more giggles) to see it working. It's going to be fun to watch it improve over time. The audio system sounds fantastic (big smile and maybe a chortle :p). I'm not as in love with the media interface but it's not bad. I preemptively disabled power-saving on the app and set up the Tasker trick before I got the car and I have not had a single problem yet (Nexus 6p). It feels like magic and I'm already annoyed at our other two cars that they don't work like that.

I just couldn't be happier with this car! All I want to do now is find an excuse to drive it.

Thanks for your report. Can’t wait to have mine! I got the invite, but I’m waiting to order because I’m afraid of the suspension. I want to first test drive it here in Montreal. Our roads are pretty bad. I hope the suspension isn’ t too firm.

Any thing to say about the suspension?

Thanks for your report. Can’t wait to have mine! I got the invite, but I’m waiting to order because I’m afraid of the suspension. I want to first test drive it here in Montreal. Our roads are pretty bad. I hope the suspension isn’ t too firm.

Any thing to say about the suspension?

Not quite as far north as Montreal, but here in New England, we've got crappy roads for the same reason. Suspension is great.

Thanks novox77. That makes me feel better. I’ll wait to see if the 4WD will be here soon (used to that on my MB). If not, I’ll just go for the RWD. Would love to get it before winter ;-)

You'll be amazed at the RWD performance in snow. I find it sufficient to handle my commute. This winter, I'm going to try winter tires for the first time because I keep reading that people say they are amazing. Last winter I did just fine in my RWD Model S in all season tires. Went skiing in Maine and had no problems getting the car up snow covered hills near the resort. I did have to turn off traction control to get out of thicker snow, otherwise the traction control prevented any acceleration at all. Model 3 has a feature that allows slip from a start.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele