TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The 2020 Tesla Roadster and Elon Musk's Need for Speed

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by Ty_McMahan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Ty_McMahan

Ty_McMahan Member

Whether it’s sports cars, rockets, or tweets, there’s no denying that Elon Musk likes to push limits. That trait has been evident in all his companies’ pursuits. We saw it early with the original Tesla Roadster. When the car debuted in 2008 it managed to produce a 0-60 mph time of just 4.6 seconds from...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. CL600

CL600 Member

Aan de Drentsche Hoofdvaart, The Netherlands
    Great challenge. I love those velocities Musk wants to travel at. Hope the new roadster will be engineered to be certainly as quiet and almost as comfortable as a Model S. Once that is confirmed, I will go for it!

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Nice article.
    No, not in the slightest. The words "supercar" and "necessary" are mutually exclusive. :)

But it's worth its weight in advertising.

Finally a true HALO car:
    Higher Acceleration for Lower Overheads ;)

4. gregd

gregd Active Member

Really wish they'd get their facts right... The original Roadster (2008) 0-60 time was 3.9 seconds. The Roadster Sport (2010) dropped that by 0.2 seconds to 3.7.

• Like x 2
  5. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I'm pretty happy with the 0-60 times of my original Roadster (non-Sport, even). It never gets old. However… At the higher end of the range it starts feeling a bit weak. Put it this way: When I'm already cruising down the highway at 70 or 75 and then want to pass someone and zip around them, it's just not as eager to leap forward as my old Lotus Esprit V8 was. That's the situation (especially on a two-lane highway with oncoming traffic) where having Real Ultimate Power on tap can be appreciated.

As far as top speed goes, I did actually get the Lotus up to 170 MPH once, briefly, and I found it rather terrifying. Having somehow survived that, I swore off ever doing anything remotely like it again. No more land speed record attempts for me.

6. ccdisce

ccdisce Member

You missed
    More Speed.

Elon Musk used to fly 'a Russian fighter jet' while founding SpaceX and Tesla and raising his kids

• Like x 1