Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 2021 refreshed Model S WILL HAVE SAT RADIO FUNCTIONALITY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You still don’t get it. What makes sense to you and what makes sense to other people are clearly different things.

Bottom line, a $130K vehicle should have Satellite radio as standard equipment. That’s all.
You’re right, I don’t get it. You haven’t done a good job of explaining the benefits of XM in your mind. You just want it because you’re used to it and don’t like change.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and lowtek
Services like Spotify, Apple Music, others ... the music quality is considerably better due to the better codecs ... sat radio compresses the audio to about what a really low quality MP3 would be ...

The only benefit to sat radio now is just those rare areas that you can't get internet.

With streaming you get way better quality, no commercials (in most cases), and you pick what you want to hear.

Sat radio has run its course.

• Love
Reactions: Hank42 and oktane
27-Fri-BLOG-Flashback-Dynamite4.jpg

God help me, I remember this ad campaign lol

Reactions: Hank42
Even SiriusXM has started streaming their content over the internet. Tesla could include a SiriuxXM app (and other streaming apps!) to offer content over the existing data network without including a satellite receiver. You're then only left with the (literally) remote use cases. Given Tesla's track record of removing "unnecessary" features like radar and lumbar support, I'm surprised they haven't done this for satellite as well. I wonder if SiriusXM subsidizes the cost of the receiver so heavily that it doesn't make sense for automakers not to include it as long as they're receiving the subsidy.

For the few times I am off the cell grid, I use music on USB or cached stations on Spotify via bluetooth on my phone if I still want to listen to music.

Reactions: oktane
Ah, thanks. In my other vehicles I just stream it via bluetooth or aux input from my phone.

Did you take delivery of your plaid? If you did can you tell me you don't like so I don't run out and buy one? Just kidding, what do you think?

I did! But they had to replace an amplifier so they still have it ... but in the short time I had it, exceeded my expectations ... don't mind the yoke, it's easy, but not a fan of the turn signal buttons.

Reactions: Zer0t
For what it is worth SpaceX also just launched a bunch of Sirius Satellites.....also I received my car at the launch event and it clearly stated XM was an option on the window sticker so when asked execs told me it would be the internet version of XM player via update.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane and brkaus