TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The 310 Mile (LR) Model 3 EPA Reported Energy Efficiency

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Aug 6, 2017.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

@omgwtfbyobbq found the most comprehensive performance data on the LR Model 3 to date, and also provided equivalent specs for the Bolt. I posted in his thread some of the conclusions that the data and report allow, but decided to repost here for more visibility since it is such important information to many of us and might be missed by readers who try to avoid EPA'ese.

Highlights:
    1. 89 kWh to fill the battery from empty to full from the wall
    2. Apparently 12.5% charging losses with the EPA EVSE, so 78 kWh usable
    The data includes roll down coefficients meant to model loads from fixed power drain, road, drivetrain, and aero. That EPA model is graphed below. Keep in mind that it would not accurately reflect on-road consumption if wind and/or accessory loads like A/C or heating are used.

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 5
    • Love x 3
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Wow... Battery sounds like an 80 with some reserved to avoid bricking. And 200 wh/mi at 65mph. All very impressive. Is this actual measures or theoretical?

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I think we are missing something here. I don't believe the battery is that large.
    Earlier this year, didn't Elon say the larger pack would max out at 75kWh?

• Like x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Roll down data is measured, and fit to a polynomial.

5. McRat

McRat Active Member

10 miles per kWh at 30mph. You sure on that one? The M310 will go 785 miles on a charge? And a Bolt will go 585 miles?

Sorry... Ain't buying it until I see it. Maybe 7-8 miles per kWh, but 10 is not 8 or even close.

I'm not even convinced yet that Hyundai didn't stretch the truth with the Ioniq yet. But only because of the number of times they been punished for exaggerating.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Another data point I would add is that it specs battery voltage at 350V and capacity at 230, which works out to 80.5kWh nominal.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. stopcrazypp

At a low steady speed you will be surprised at what is possible. The S P100D gets 315 miles EPA, but someone just set a new world record with 670 miles of range on it:
    New 670-Mile Tesla Range Record Set

• Like x 4
  8. McRat

McRat Active Member

We will see.

10 mi/kWh is 1000 miles in a 100D.

• Like x 1
  9. stopcrazypp

Given the huge weight difference, obviously a 100D will never achieve even close. At low speeds, rolling resistance plays a big role.

• Like x 4
  10. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

As I asked in the other thread, is this wall to wheels or pack to wheels?

Also, it might be useful to compare to other Tesla vehicles, not just / instead of the Bolt. :)

• Like x 1
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

It is power at steady state speed, expressed as Wh/mile. The Power polynomial was derived from roll down data. You may find the derivation informative -- I barely understand it, and was content for this thread to just plug the equation into a spreadsheet.

12. McRat

McRat Active Member

It will be very cool if that graph is correct. 346 miles at 75 mph.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  13. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Actually makes sense if you don't stop and are on a straight level road. S100D just did >1000km at around 30mph.

14. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Where are the first 30 owners to verify this. Road trip people, for science!

• Funny x 1
  15. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I'm very skeptical that it will manage 6 miles/kwh, on any realistic basis as I know what that takes in my Volt.

It will do 310 miles on a charge, that's superb, let's not start boosting expectations into the stratosphere again as it does no one any good.

• Like x 3
  16. gaswalla

That is not what it says. (Nor would it make any sense for the range to increase while you drive faster).
    The y axis is watthr / mile...ie how many watthrs the car uses per mile driven on a flat surface. So, if you are reading 345 watthr at 75mph, then the range would be 78,000/345 (usable energy is reported at 78kilo watt hrs)

• Like x 1
  17. gaswalla

6 miles per kwh if you drive under 45 mph on a flat road...it's possible

• Like x 2
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Exactly.

But keep in mind that roll down data excludes some losses present on the road, so as a WAG I'd take off 10% from the range calculated ffrom the graph.

19. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I know it's possible, I've done it, and not under quite so ideal conditions either.

I just don't see a 3800+lb car with fairly wide tires doing it except under perfect conditions, which isn't the reality of daily use. This is the just the kind of speculation that gets out of hand on this forum, that's all.

20. gaswalla

Folks just did better than 6 miles per kwh in a models s. Definitely possible if you drive super slow under ideal conditions. This has nothing to do with daily driving of course

• Like x 1