Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 310 Mile (LR) Model 3 EPA Reported Energy Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
@omgwtfbyobbq found the most comprehensive performance data on the LR Model 3 to date, and also provided equivalent specs for the Bolt. I posted in his thread some of the conclusions that the data and report allow, but decided to repost here for more visibility since it is such important information to many of us and might be missed by readers who try to avoid EPA'ese.

Highlights:
  1. 89 kWh to fill the battery from empty to full from the wall
  2. Apparently 12.5% charging losses with the EPA EVSE, so 78 kWh usable
The data includes roll down coefficients meant to model loads from fixed power drain, road, drivetrain, and aero. That EPA model is graphed below. Keep in mind that it would not accurately reflect on-road consumption if wind and/or accessory loads like A/C or heating are used.

upload_2017-8-6_12-23-23-png.240079

Enjoy!

10 miles per kWh at 30mph. You sure on that one? The M310 will go 785 miles on a charge? And a Bolt will go 585 miles?

Sorry... Ain't buying it until I see it. Maybe 7-8 miles per kWh, but 10 is not 8 or even close.

I'm not even convinced yet that Hyundai didn't stretch the truth with the Ioniq yet. But only because of the number of times they been punished for exaggerating.

10 miles per kWh at 30mph. You sure on that one? The M310 will go 785 miles on a charge? And a Bolt will go 585 miles?

Sorry... Ain't buying it until I see it. Maybe 7-8 miles per kWh, but 10 is not 8 or even close.

I'm not even convinced yet that Hyundai didn't stretch the truth with the Ioniq yet. But only because of the number of times they been punished for exaggerating.
At a low steady speed you will be surprised at what is possible. The S P100D gets 315 miles EPA, but someone just set a new world record with 670 miles of range on it:
New 670-Mile Tesla Range Record Set

@omgwtfbyobbq found the most comprehensive performance data on the LR Model 3 to date, and also provided equivalent specs for the Bolt. I posted in his thread some of the conclusions that the data and report allow, but decided to repost here for more visibility since it is such important information to many of us and might be missed by readers who try to avoid EPA'ese.

Highlights:
  1. 89 kWh to fill the battery from empty to full from the wall
  2. Apparently 12.5% charging losses with the EPA EVSE, so 78 kWh usable
The data includes roll down coefficients meant to model loads from fixed power drain, road, drivetrain, and aero. That EPA model is graphed below. Keep in mind that it would not accurately reflect on-road consumption if wind and/or accessory loads like A/C or heating are used.

upload_2017-8-6_12-23-23-png.240079

Enjoy!

As I asked in the other thread, is this wall to wheels or pack to wheels?

Also, it might be useful to compare to other Tesla vehicles, not just / instead of the Bolt. :)

Reactions: Kacey Green

Actually makes sense if you don't stop and are on a straight level road. S100D just did >1000km at around 30mph.

It will be very cool if that graph is correct. 346 miles at 75 mph.

That is not what it says. (Nor would it make any sense for the range to increase while you drive faster).
The y axis is watthr / mile...ie how many watthrs the car uses per mile driven on a flat surface. So, if you are reading 345 watthr at 75mph, then the range would be 78,000/345 (usable energy is reported at 78kilo watt hrs)

Reactions: McRat
I'm very skeptical that it will manage 6 miles/kwh, on any realistic basis as I know what that takes in my Volt.

It will do 310 miles on a charge, that's superb, let's not start boosting expectations into the stratosphere again as it does no one any good.

6 miles per kwh if you drive under 45 mph on a flat road...it's possible

That is not what it says. (Nor would it make any sense for the range to increase while you drive faster).
The y axis is watthr / mile...ie how many watthrs the car uses per mile driven on a flat surface. So, if you are reading 345 watthr at 75mph, then the range would be 78,000/345 (usable energy is reported at 78kilo watt hrs)
Exactly.

But keep in mind that roll down data excludes some losses present on the road, so as a WAG I'd take off 10% from the range calculated ffrom the graph.

6 miles per kwh if you drive under 45 mph on a flat road...it's possible

I know it's possible, I've done it, and not under quite so ideal conditions either.

I just don't see a 3800+lb car with fairly wide tires doing it except under perfect conditions, which isn't the reality of daily use. This is the just the kind of speculation that gets out of hand on this forum, that's all.