TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The 3's Cd: "hopefully 0.21"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by malcolm, Apr 8, 2016.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

So there's the new turbine wheels we saw in Part 1.

Can anything be done with the side mirrors, the nose, the underbody?

2. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

Despite what people who don't like the nose say, I suspect that it looks like that precisely for aerodynamic purposes (namely funneling smooth flowing air under the undercarriage). But aerodynamics is black art, and the days of just looking at it and making it look more like a raindrop, are long over. Elon talked about 0.1mm making a difference. Given the improvement of 0.04 over the Model S, and the presumably smaller frontal area, we should see a noticeable improvement in kWh/mile

Thank you kindly.

3. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

They wanted to ditch the mirrors which would make a major difference, but it would require laws to be changed. (here in the US anyway)

If the legalities were figured out, I would bet that Tesla would offer this as an option at least.

4. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

I'm wondering if the "hopefully" means only if they get NHTSA to approve replacing the side-view mirrors with cameras. Also it may require aero wheels like on the gray prototype.

[​IMG]