Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The .48* updates haver broken TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always hated when you would engage TACC how it would automatically accelerate up to the speed limit set. It would be quite jarring to have the car suddenly speed up so quickly.

It's how dumb cruise control works: you set the speed, you hit the brakes if needed, and the resume will resume speed. This described new behavior effectively eliminates resume from TACC, which is crap, since you would expect that you are interrupting use more than you are truly disengaging and engaging.

(I write that as somebody who doesn't use resume features because they always accelerate faster than I'd like).

Reactions: JohnnyG
It's how dumb cruise control works: you set the speed, you hit the brakes if needed, and the resume will resume speed. This described new behavior effectively eliminates resume from TACC, which is crap, since you would expect that you are interrupting use more than you are truly disengaging and engaging.

(I write that as somebody who doesn't use resume features because they always accelerate faster than I'd like).

Exactly. My issue isn't even in the "resume" functionality, as I consider it a "set". I am in a 35 zone and my CC is set to 35. My TACC slowed down to 10MPH because of traffic lights. I press the brakes to lose TACC. I then start driving again and speed up to 35 and engage TACC. It sets the limit to 18 and slows me down suddenly, with cars in front and behind me going at my 35MPH speed. Very dangerous!

So using TACC alone should operate the same? (in your opinion)
TBH, I do not know. I basically never use TACC alone, always TACC/AP
If I think about it, TACC should remain at set speed: the driver is actively driving the car -steering- before, during and after a slow-down, so the driver is well aware about the speed differences.
TACC/AP should stay at lower speed: the driver becomes actively driving -steering- only AFTER the slow-down has occurred, so the driver is less aware about what kind of acceleration he will have to face, he is less aware of the speed differences the car has been going through. Accelerating in such an event MUST be a deliberate act of the driver, not a whim of the car,

I've begun to notice this issue more and more and am finding it more annoying. Today, NoA started a lane change but aborted it halfway through. I took over the steering and found my speed limit had been set to match the slow vehicle that I was attempting to pass. As others have mentioned, TACC is "traffic aware" so it shouldn't need to reset the speed to avoid traffic. It was working fine the previous way for nearly 2 years.

Last edited:
I've begun to notice this issue more and more and am finding it more annoying. Today, NoA started a lane change but aborted it halfway through. I took over the steering and found my speed limit had been set to match the slow vehicle that I was attempting to pass. As others have mentioned, TACC is "traffic aware" so it shouldn't need to reset the speed to avoid traffic. It was working fine the previous way for nearly 2 years.

I think most of us that use NoA / AutoPilot on long expressway commutes are the ones most negatively affected by this. You cited just one of many reasons NoA and AP will not auto lane change when you have to take over and a simple double click to the stalk does NOT reset the speed back to the intended speed. If it was meant to be a "safety feature as changed" it is a total fail.

TACC has become less useful due to the recent changes.

Since Tesla switched over to the new speed limit database provider, there are many reports of incorrect or missing speed limit data - which still haven't been fixed at least a year and a half after Tesla made the switch. This was mostly annoying, because it created areas where AutoSteer wouldn't engage or would be speed limited.

But now that TACC is also using this bad speed limit data to automatically slow down, this has moved from annoying to a potential safety hazard, increasing the times when TACC starts slowing down unnecessarily, which can be a problem in high speed traffic moving with minimal spacing between vehicles.

When NAV 2.0 was released, a major benefit was shifting the routing from the onboard computer to a cloud server. Since the onboard software was using offline map data, which tends to be at least 1-2 years out-of-date, the cloud server should provide better routing, using up-to-date map data.

Tesla should do something similar with TACC - and download up-to-date speed limit data from their cloud server to the onboard TACC software, which should eliminate most of the false slow downs caused by poor speed limit information. When the AP2.x software starts using traffic signs as a secondary means of detecting speed limits - that would also help.

We still have the issue when the AP2.x software gets a false positive detection of an obstacle in front of the vehicle (which seems to happen when there's a light-to-dark transition in the roadway ahead). These are harder for Tesla to fix, since it's reasonable for the software to be more conservative if it's not sure the roadway ahead is clear.

Based on the number of times TACC is incorrectly slowing down, until they can get it working reliably again with correct speed limit data, I'd rather they provide a setting to turn off this feature - and get back to having TACC only adjust speed to maintain spacing behind the vehicle in front.

• Love
TACC has become less useful due to the recent changes.
When NAV 2.0 was released, a major benefit was shifting the routing from the onboard computer to a cloud server. Since the onboard software was using offline map data, which tends to be at least 1-2 years out-of-date, the cloud server should provide better routing, using up-to-date map data.
All routing and map data is still in the car with the new navigation. But the routing is done by Tesla software using downloaded map data from OpenStreetmap and not third party navigation software and map data (from Navigon?).

Well, to be honest it doesn't drop you down to 18: you are already travelling at 18 and it doesn't speed you up again at 35. It's rather different.
OK - I did some driving yesterday and see what is happening. If I am on Autopilot, set at 35, slow down to 15 due to traffic (still on Autopilot) and grab the steering wheel to switch lanes, it resets the CC max speed to 18. I am still on CC, but not Autopilot at this point. If I double-pull on the stick, I expect to be going again at 35, but I have been lowered to 18. This didn't used to happen.

• Love
I'm a member of the camp that is highly annoyed by the changes to TACC behavior. I also observe that the following-distance numbers appear to have been modified, such that for a given number (1-7), my Model S follows the car ahead by a longer distance than previously. Is this just true for me, or has anyone else observed this behavior?

• Love
OK - I did some driving yesterday and see what is happening. If I am on Autopilot, set at 35, slow down to 15 due to traffic (still on Autopilot) and grab the steering wheel to switch lanes, it resets the CC max speed to 18. I am still on CC, but not Autopilot at this point. If I double-pull on the stick, I expect to be going again at 35, but I have been lowered to 18. This didn't used to happen.
Yes, this is the new behaviour. To get back at 35, instead of a double pull, do a long pull.

All routing and map data is still in the car with the new navigation. But the routing is done by Tesla software using downloaded map data from OpenStreetmap and not third party navigation software and map data (from Navigon?).

The software is using 3 sets of map data, 3 sets of speed limit data and 2 sets of traffic data.

The console map display is using map and traffic data supplied by Google, used only for the display of the map on the console display - and not used for navigation. Google updates the map data frequently, typically catching road changes within a day or two.

The cloud server uses its own map, speed limit and traffic data. We don't have any information on how up-to-date this information is. It will be much more up-to-date than the onboard data, and possibly not as up-to-date as Google (since data is their business). The cloud server is used for calculating (and occasionally recalculating) navigation routing, unless this feature is disabled in settings or the cloud server isn't reachable over the internet.

The onboard software uses relatively data that is guaranteed to be out-of-date. The map data is typically updated annually and is usually at least 1 to 2 years old, resulting in many discrepancies in areas of recent construction. The speed limit data base is updated infrequently, with many areas with missing or incorrect speed limits - and because that data has remained incorrect for over a year, that data base is either based on a very poor information source or it isn't being updated very often. For offline routing, the NAV 1.0 software used to use traffic data that was downloaded every few minutes - unclear if current NAV software is also getting access to this slightly out-of-data traffic information for use when cloud server navigation is disabled. The onboard data is likely being used for display of the dashboard navigation map and for use when doing onboard navigation.

In addition to navigation, it also appears the onboard map data base is also being used for NOAP - which could be a major problem, because that map data is usually 1-2 years out of date, causing NOAP to have problems when highways have gone under recent construction or when exit/interchange ramps have been opened, closed or moved.

To get FSD working, Tesla can't rely on out-of-date map and speed limit data. The current strategy of relying on the onboard maps and speed limit data won't work. When the AP2 software starts reading traffic signs, that will provide more up-to-date information than the speed limit database. But the map data inaccuracies are harder to overcome.

What Tesla should do is move away from the "old school" strategy of downloading all of the map & speed limit data for huge regions (continents). The vast majority of this data will never be used - and only a very small amount will be used for a single driving session. What Tesla could do - when a route is calculated, the server could send down the small amount of map/speed limit data from the up-to-date database on the server down to the vehicle - and use that for the current driving session.

Especially for vehicles connected to the Internet almost all of the time, it makes much more sense to send the data only when needed, rather than downloading massive amounts of data - that will never be used...

... NOA, AutoSteer+, TACC, AutoPark, Automatic Emergency Braking are all separate software components that may be created using different neural nets and may react differently than the other software components in a given release. For example, AutoSteer+ vs NOA may react completely different in the exact same situation. Bottom line, we are beta testers, so it is delusion to expect everything to just work. The reality is you have to tread carefully with each Tesla Software Update. That is the nature of software development. You can argue that the software should not be released if it is beta. I can't create an argument against that. But, Tesla is attempting to push the boundaries and make progress. ...
We're talking specifically about TACC here. It was not created by a neural net and it has been around and operating under the same set of rules for years.

I truly don't find it delusional to expect a simple system (TACC) to "just work", when it has been functioning exactly the same, and completely fine for years.

This has nothing to do with being beta. This isn't an issue of pushing boundaries and making progress. This is about making a change that is unrelated and unsafe and then not saying a d@mn thing about it in the release notes of said software update.

... The real fix in my mind is to always disengage all driver assists when the user takes manual action like jerking the steering wheel. Though this would probably also make the OP unhappy no?

Perhaps this was the happy medium the developers came up with.

Also I agree, Tesla should be noting these changes in release notes. They are always flying loose with release notes. In fact when the major NN improvements came last year which drastically improved Autopilot but also changed AP behavior, they were not even in the release notes!
The real fix here is to notify your customers when you make a drastic change to a safety system.

I think that most all of us here would prefer it disengage the whole system, as opposed to this new janky behavior. At least that would be consistent. Changing a parameter that I have set, to a value I am unaware of, is completely unpredictable and unsafe.

Reactions: berkeley_ecar
Well, to be honest it doesn't drop you down to 18: you are already travelling at 18 and it doesn't speed you up again at 35. It's rather different.
To be honest, and technical, it does...... If I have the TACC set to 65, and after taking over the steering it decides to change my TACC setting to a lower value which I am not aware of, that is indeed dropping you down. I didn't change this setting, *it* did.

I'm with the OP on this - just hating the new update. I tend to nudge the steering wheel once in a while in the carpool lane to let motor-cyclists by and could't work out why the cars were accelerating in front of me and I wasn't. I've noticed that once you disengage AP/TACC, it will stay at the lower speed until you accelerate beyond that speed and so I can't always re-engage AP until the traffic has cleared up. AP used to be fix and forget, but now there's a lot more cognitive friction involved with using it and over a 2 hour commute through crappy LA traffic it has really cut down on my enjoyment of owning the vehicle. Sincerely hoping they'll roll this one back, but not holding my breath.

So why is it that Tesla cannot have Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) standard on a $100,000 car but it comes standard on a $20,000 Toyota Corolla? Every car I have driven in the last 2-3 years has this feature along with lane departure and collision warnings.