Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The $54,000 Paperweight (Registration problems)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla may have collected some taxes and not others. That was my experience as seen in the document I posted earlier.

OP seems to have disappeared. Draw your conclusions but keep in mind that it is a rare person who follows up to say that they were mistaken.

While I think that you're being fairly dramatic, my brother had a similar experience in LV with his car. The registration was late, so he got dinged with a fee. Tesla also listed the value of the car including options (both the LR battery and PUP are options) on the registration form, which meant that his registration cost was inflated.

Tesla squared him away and cut him a check for the late fee and got him the necessary docs to get his registration bill reduced, but it took several months.

True, but they can keep the flat pricing structure while introducing competition in the post-delivery stage. A simple strategy is to franchise out the delivery and service centers. Think about McDonald's. The pricing is exactly the same and you don't have to deal with the sleazy salespeople, yet different franchises would compete for the sales and service volume by differentiating themselves with high-quality customer service. A win-win in my book.

Franchises suck. They're outdated and soon (if we're lucky) they're going to go the way of blockbuster. What are you talking about introducing competition? Franchises dont compete. They bribe local govts to protect their failing industry

Reactions: Akikiki
Picked up my M3 July 24 th. at Coral Gables, FL with good 1/2 hour experience. Called with about 2 days left on the 30 day temp tag and registration and they Fed-Exed another temp tag and registration. Called again about a week later and finally FL DMV showed the title transferred 47 days after delivery. Hard copy title arrived Sept. 17. I wondered whether Tesla was "kiting" the titles for financial reasons but they would have had to keep it till the end of Q3. Probably just SNAFU.

Tesla may have collected some taxes and not others. That was my experience as seen in the document I posted earlier.

OP seems to have disappeared. Draw your conclusions but keep in mind that it is a rare person who follows up to say that they were mistaken.

Still here. With my last post, I detailed how I was able to register the car because the EDRS had arrived at the DMV. Still had to pay for the registration, after signing a form affirming I didn’t drive the car after the temp registration expired, because the DMV doesn’t consider an unsigned purchase agreement to be proof of payment. So I paid. Two days later a manager named Hutch called, the first of many promised calls, and said I’d receive a refund of $734 for the service they did not provide. Unlike Caroline he acknowledged Tesla had a responsibility to register the car and didn’t blame it on an unnamed third party. Said it would take one to four weeks. If my account is not credited by next Monday, well… we shall see.

Still here. With my last post, I detailed how I was able to register the car because the EDRS had arrived at the DMV. Still had to pay for the registration, after signing a form affirming I didn’t drive the car after the temp registration expired, because the DMV doesn’t consider an unsigned purchase agreement to be proof of payment. So I paid. Two days later a manager named Hutch called, the first of many promised calls, and said I’d receive a refund of $734 for the service they did not provide. Unlike Caroline he acknowledged Tesla had a responsibility to register the car and didn’t blame it on an unnamed third party. Said it would take one to four weeks. If my account is not credited by next Monday, well… we shall see.
Thanks for the update but it does not make sense.

Tesla does not charge $734 for a "service" related to registration. If Tesla collected $734 to cover registration taxes/fees collected by Nevada and did not forward the money to the Nevada DMV, then Tesla should certainly return the money to you.

Just thought I'd add to this thread that I picked up a Model 3 in Vegas late last month and went through nearly the same exact events as the OP. I just got my car registered on Monday after having to pick up a rental last week because the car was past the registration grace period.

Apparently the staff at Tesla LV haven't learned a thing. Pretty frustrating.

Thanks for the update but it does not make sense.

Tesla does not charge $734 for a "service" related to registration. If Tesla collected $734 to cover registration taxes/fees collected by Nevada and did not forward the money to the Nevada DMV, then Tesla should certainly return the money to you.

Tesla charged $734 for license/registration/transfer and plate. Or as it is commonly called; registration. I also signed a specific power of attorney so they could happily, their words, take care of the registration so I didn't have to stand in line. I thought I made this perfectly clear in my previous posts. I'm not sure how it is done where you live, but every vehicle I have ever purchased from a dealer included the registration fees. Some dealers offered to deal with the DMV themselves free of charge and the others ALWAYS sent the required documents for me to register in person well before the temporary registration expired.

The delivery manager I talked to three weeks ago admitted Tesla was at fault and stated this is an on-going problem. As of now, the promised refund has not materialized.

Thanks to everyone who offered helpful advice. For a final note, I enjoy driving the M3 and I hope Tesla has a bright future with electric vehicle production.

I went through the same ordeal as you and also talked to Tesla on why I am paying twice for registration how will I get reimbursed? The Service Center agent told me that Tesla would reimburse me in a few weeks after I send them the receipt from the DMV for registration. Well, a few weeks later I received a check from Tesla for the amount of what was charged for registration from Tesla when taking delivery of the vehicle. Hopefully, you will receive your funds back.

Wonderful news. Fantastic of Tesla to start the fire and then nicely put it out..

How’s the car and was it worth it??

The M3 is everything I expected it to be. Never feel any range anxiety, even on long trips. With my daughters Chevy Volt and my car, we spend almost nothing on gasoline. With the rooftop solar, we spend almost nothing to go from point A to B except for insurance and registration. Looks like I may have to put fuel stabilizer in the Dodge Dakota, I rarely ever drive it anymore. In a nutshell, driving electric is the way to go.

• Love
Reactions: Joelc and MXWing