Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The $54,000 Paperweight (Registration problems)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't say anything about paying fines and encourage driver's to unregistered car. You are making it up.

Don't assume it will take years to fight Tesla, simple fact if Tesla caused loss of use then they have to pay.

I have been threatened by Tesla was thh legal proceedings, so far I haven't seen one coming.
Similar situation in South Carolina . My tag expires in 2 days and Tesla outsourced the registration. They paid for it to expedited so they said another 2-3 weeks max. They also said they will reimburse for any tickets in that time !

Unfortunate to read this. We've purchased 2 Model 3s this year, and both of the titles and paperwork arrived about 2 weeks after delivery which is well before the 60 day temp tags expired. I was actually shocked they came in so quickly.

Reactions: Sg911
This appears to be news to everyone posting here, but Tesla outsources the registrations in just about every state/city. And the company doing these does them via US mail, they are not trotting down to the local DMV for tags. So if you have only a couple of people coordinating these actions after every registration processing point, its going to take a while. No tag is more or less important than another tag, they are just numbers. And then there's year end or quarter end that have often had a rush to get under the bell for the tax credit.

Someone "dying" to get their tag is just going to need to wait. Let's be realistic, does anyone think that the wheels of progress for getting their registration is going to stop while someone thumbs through all the sales documents to find one that is missing or delayed - at the expense of everyone else that is waiting? I think not.

Consider what that path looks like to get the tags. Purchased, signed, sent to Tesla, Tesla sends to (how many companies handing the states)? One company or 50 companies? I don't know either. Then the company has to send the sales documents, bill of sale, bill of lading, proofs of purchase, certificate of origin for vehicle, Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement, proof of safety inspection, sales tax check, and registration payment check for every sold car to the correct county or maybe to some central state office. Utah and Texas could be one of those states where the company has to send them to each county. Then its processed at the state along with every other manufacturers' owner registration, then back to the company, back to Tesla and Tesla sends it out via Fedex. Yep, this could take a while. I am just guessing this is the path, it could be shorter or even more complicated. But Tesla registrations at some point at a state merge with other brand cars competing for time for processing.

Shucks, when I used to send off for my Captain Jett decoder ring, I started watching for it the next day for it. Why did it take the 6-8 weeks they said it would. Its a wonder we get our registrations and tags in only 2 months.

Sorry that this is not going to set well with some folks, but its business.

Last edited: