TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The 6 Model S problems and what I'm going to do about it

Discussion in 'Model S' started by pguerra, Jul 31, 2012.

1. pguerra

pguerra Member

#1 pguerra, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    All, forgive me please for being a little cantankerous and expressing my dissatisfaction with a hint of rude commentary about the Model S interior. Because I am in the market for an 1) EV and 2) that has a long range, only the Model S fits this criteria. Therefore, I will stick with the purchase (with a little hope b/c maybe some of the 6 problems will be solved before I take delivery) and also b/c I doubt Tesla would give back 100% of my refund now. Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Here are the 6 problems for an everyday guy like me and, more importantly, the solutions to deal with it. I realize nothing is perfect, and I do want Tesla to succeed.

6 Problems (in order of importance to me, an ordinary guy):

1) Rear seat lights. Ever needed to look for an item at night in the back seat and needed just a simple light to see? Or how about removing groceries from the back seat at night? If it's dark, how do you see the plastic bag handles so you know where to grab and pick them up?
    2) Motorized folding side mirrors. I'll have to open my windows and manually fold in both side mirrors so the Model S will fit in my standard-size, single-car garage. Just trust me: I have to fold in my Hybrid Escalade's motorized side mirrors, and it still barely fits. The width of Hybrid Escalade with mirrors folded is 79" (Model S, 77"). We have a two-car garage also but due to logistics, charging and the Hybrid Escalade, the Model S has to go in the single-car garage.
    3) Add a sub-woofer. My Hybrid Escalade's sound system sounds incredible with any song/source due to it's full and rich-sounding Bose subwoofer. The Model S with 580watts should sound better, but it just doesn't (based on Sig Perf I drove at Get Amped event). The Model S doesn't seem to have any good low range (bass) which makes the music sound flat and uninspiring.
    4) Concealed storage within easy reach (i.e. within the console, not the glove box). Some items in my car I simply don't want in plain sight! What is the harm in having a console that opens up to store things??
    5) Rear seat cup holders. Rarely do I need cupholders, but when I do, I just do, darn it and that's all there is to it.
    6) Sun visor vanity lights. Anyone ever have a passenger who cares about how she looks and would like to check before getting out of the car to go out at night?
    Pano roof sun shade screen (honorable mention and not really a problem at this point b/c no one has actually seen one yet) - This screen is important in about 25 states in the US...the southern states where the sun is unbearably hot.

Here are my solutions:

1) Rear seat lights. Take out my iPhone and use that for light. Or use frunk or trunk (assuming they have lights) for groceries
    2) Motorized folding side mirrors. To fit in the single-car garage (I can't park in our two-car garage due to Hybrid Escalade, logistics, and charging), I will manually fold the driver's side mirror only and be very, very careful getting in and out of garage. This should allow for enough space to enter garage.
    3) Add a sub-woofer. Leave it as is and "just deal" or add a small subwoofer if possible. Or use the Hybrid Escalade if I really want "to turn it up".
    4) Concealed storage within easy reach Reach over to glove box to store/remove items that I don't want in plain sight.
    5) Rear seat cup holders. Not needed often and probably only on road trips with family, but if so, I'll get a Walmart plastic cup holder that hangs off the window. (I don't like the removable, rear seat middle console solution.)
    6) Sun visor vanity lights. Consider sticking a small, add-on LED light next to the mirror and only on the passenger side (This is mostly for my wife. Although like the cup holders, when I need it, I just need it darn it!).

Part of me being upset was due to the fact that these 6 problems are relatively simple with relatively simple solutions. I just couldn't believe (and still can't believe) that these 6 problems would be overlooked by such a genius company.

I sincerely thank you all for your suggestions and putting up with a little of my BS - all without any flaming or anything! That's a great thing actually and a real testament to the quality of the folks on this message board and its moderators.

Again, I'm humbled and grateful that I have the opportunity and the means to purchase such a vehicle. I haven't forgotten that.

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

No need to apologize. A lot of us share your frustrations.

I have a solution for your back seat lighting problem.

As far as the rear seat cup holders go, I am sure there will be another soflauthor who will design some insert for these as well.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#3 dsm363, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    I think the frunk is a much better place to put groceries anyway since space is more confined when you take a corner and won't have bags sliding along the back seat. Also, opening the rear door should turn on a door light at least so you might be able to see ok.

Figuring out a way to charge your car in the two car garage might help but sounds like that's not an option or not cheap.

Hopefully the sound system sounds better when you get it but adding a subwoofer should help as you said.

I hope when you get the car at least some of these issues will have been addressed by Tesla or others.

4. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I gotta say, I'm optimistic about the subwoofer thing. You can accomplish a lot with a good DSP, provided that the sub itself isn't simply undersized.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yep--regarding the sound system, there have been wide variations in reported bass response. I think this likely has more to do with system tuning/music source/equalizer settings than anything else. I think the production sound systems should have plenty of bass. After all, that's one thing most premium sound system folks look for.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Agreed, until people start bringing their own high quality sources (and are allowed to use them), whether you get a good sounding demonstration or not depends more on luck than it does the equipment.

7. dsm363

And it goes to 11. That's one louder than most systems go... Love that they did that.

The mirror issues doesn't affect me but I seriously hope it's something they can add later since I didn't realize how wide the car was and how many people have narrow garages.

8. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I agree on the manual folding side mirrors. I'm in the process of cleaning out my garage to put the HPC in my garage, with the intention of parking and charging my car there. It's a two car garage, but has a post in the middle (sort of like two one-car garages next to each other). After measuring, it will basically require me to fold the mirrors every time I go in and out of the garage. Ugh! The irony is, the Mercedes side mirror buttons that Tesla is using have a space for the automatic folding of those mirrors, so Tesla really made a conscious decision not to provide this feature of a fairly wide car. Not a deal breaker, but for a $100k car, definitely an unexpected nuisance. I hope software can fix this in later versions of the car. Otherwise, why am I paying a premium again for the Signature?!

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'm confused, does the S have no interior lighting that comes on when you open the door?

10. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I too will have to fold my driver mirror which will be a pain if it's raining. Hard to believe it's wider than my FX. I checked with Tesla and they have never heard of power folding mirrors so I doubt it's coming to us :(. They hinted at aftermarket, but can you really add aftermarket mirrors? If so, would i be wasting money on tech package mirrors?

In terms of the Bose sub woofer, I have one of those as well and it's not very good. I really don't like Bose. I'd much rather have something better and can't imagine the Tesla system is worse than my premium Bose system, but will have to give a listen on the 12th. In my FX it was pretty easy to add a sub woofer, but mine was stolen in Vancouver. I don't want to add one to a 100k car.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No, there is interior lighting. What was removed (or to be more specific, isn't shown on the specs page anymore) is the reading lights in the back. There are still courtesy lights, map lights, and door handle lights. How much these light up the back seat isn't known but it's thought to be "not much".

12. dsm363

There should be enough to see what you're doing at least. Maybe not for reading a book but for locating a bag or something it probably isn't a problem. We really won't know a lot of this until people actually get their cars and report in.

13. AndyM

AndyM Member

The only dome lighting I've seen is a pair of LED spots, about 1.25" in diameter, mounted in the headliner to the left and right above the rear-view mirror.
    There's "ambient" light in the forward footwells - I believe this comes with the tech package. Beyond this, the interior of the car is quite dark at night.

14. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Looks like there are two optimal places to put an extra sub (or two) in the Model S. I'm considering the "back part" of the frunk, as I don't see much utility for that space, and the well in the trunk area (where the child seats would normally fold into) as potential spots. Both could easily accommodate sub boxes tastefully inserted that would substantially improve the bass response.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#15 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    A frunk is also better for groceries but it allows you to pull through or reverse into a space in the parking lot. ;)

16. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

That's simply not true. The rep you spoke to might not have heard of it, but I am quite certain that whoever was responsible for that type of feature not only heard of it, but saw it in action on a Mercedes, which has it on many (all?) of its cars/SUVs now. Tesla is using the exact buttons from Daimler to adjust the side mirrors, but purposely left out the button that folds the side mirrors in.

I assume that these six issues were deliberate -- assume that the person/group in Tesla responsible for interior design went through all of the features of various cars roughly in the Model S class (premium/luxury sedans). For whatever reason they decided to leave these things out. Maybe it was aesthetics, or maybe it was difficult to engineer these things. Regardless, like the opportunity console space, if these are big issues for a majority of potential buyers then Tesla will hopefully listen like they did on the "negative space" in front and make adjustments as necessary. In the grand scheme of things these are minor or non-existent issues for me personally, but I understand how others find them more important. Certainly for the price of a top shelf P85, it seems underwhelming to have skipped out on these few items.

17. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I really hope they are considering adding the power mirror button back. Do you think it's an easy upgrade after I receive the car? This thing is so wide I can't imagine why it wouldn't be included.

18. Princeton96

Princeton96 Member

I have to say, many of the standard issues/complaints don't get me too worked up. Rear seat cup holders, pano screen, adaptive cc, etc. None of these keep me up at night.

That said...the car width is a big concern for me and auto folding side mirrors would be huge. Definitely my #1 issue that I would love to see addressed.

19. dsm363

Would the hardware for power folding mirrors already be there or could they be easily swapped out later? If the hardware is already there, maybe a software update would solve this but you think they would have already discussed this.

20. Princeton96

Princeton96 Member

I'd be very surprised if this could be added with just a software upgrade. If you're going to put the hardware in to begin with, why not activate it? The hardware is the complex part.