TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The 60 kWh version

Discussion in 'Model X' started by xpitxbullx, Aug 26, 2018.

1. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

To promote healthy battery life, we are told ‘by some’ to keep the state of charge between 20% to 80% with our 75 kWh batteries.

Now when the 60 kWh Model 3 comes out, it will basically be a 75 kWh battery software locked to only utilize 60 kWh.

Question: Will the 60 kWh version use the upper state of charge of the 75 kWh battery where all of the small batteries are charged to 4.2v apiece? If so, then to promote battery health would you be asked to keep the state of charge between 0% and 75%?

0% voltage equaling the voltage of a 75 kWh battery at 20% and 75% equaling the voltage of the 75 kWh battery at 80%. It’s still the same battery regardless of how much you are allowed to use.

If the 60 kWh battery utilized the median SoC of the 75 kWh battery, then it would seem that it would be harder for people to damage their battery if they were to charge it to 100% on trips because 100% on the 60 kWh version would be about 90% SoC of the 75 kWh battery that it really is. And draining the software locked 60 kWh battery to 0% is still leaving 10% charge in the battery (which is really a 75 kWh battery). Battery health could be optimized by using 10% to 90% SoC if you have the 60 kWh version.

Now I didn’t want to nitpick the exact numbers or argue the 20-80 or 30-70 SoC. I just wanted to get the main idea across.

Wonder which way they will go when they software lock the 60 kWh range available of the 75 kWh battery.

I’m now sick and tired of typing kWh over and over. Argh!!!

• Informative x 1
  2. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

I just realized this is posted in the Model X forum. Sorry. Could a moderator move it to the Model 3 forum?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

News to me. Is there a reputable source for this claim?

4. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

What exactly is the claim you are referring to? That the 60 is the same battery as the 75? Tesla has been making Model S’s that utilize software locked batteries. 60 could upgrade OTA to 75. Later, they made a 75 that could upgrade to a 90. If thats what you are referring to then a simple google search will show post on people that upgraded OTA.

Cheaper to make one battery cover 2 versions and hopefully get the lesser version to upgrade later for more profits.

5. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

They won't be doing this at a $35k price point for the Model 3. They did it on the Model S/X because they needed to use their demand lever, and they likey knew they'd be dropping the price of the 75.

• Like x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

So many misinformation in your posts.

Source?

The short range Model 3 is lighter than the long range Model 3. The difference is the battery pack, meaning they are not putting the larger battery in the short range.

They never made any 75 that could upgrade to a 90. Completely false.

7. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

The 3 uses different battery cells than the S and X. It's not the same pack at all.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Yes. Do you have a reputable source that this will be done with the Model 3?
    Not always.

9. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Good god, people. Sorry if the later batteries were not upgradeable. I thought I’d saw upgrade options for the bigger battery cars in the Tesla forums. They did do it with the entry level Model S. That’s a FACT. Not anymore? News to me. Sorry.

I never said that the S and X and 3 used the same battery architecture. I don’t know where that came from.

There was TALK of the Model 3 SR having the same battery as the LR. Does it mean it’s going to happen for sure? I don’t know. You don’t know. No matter what they say now about the cars weight in reference to them using a smaller battery, you can guess and assume all you want. Elon Musk probable hasn’t made that decision yet.

Sooooooo...my original question was just a question.

10. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Also, I was too quick to type 60 kWh when I meant the whole time to say 50 kWh. Yeah, that jacks the percentages a little but the base question is still the same.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Sure. That was the case of the 40 kWh Model S: Entry Level 40kWh Tesla Model S Cancelled, 60 kWh Cars All Get Supercharging Hardware (and actual press release at Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors). That wasn't the case from the 60 kWh to 85 kWh cars. And, sure Tesla has at some points in time shipped vehicles w/software limits and additional capacity that can be unlocked.
    You asserted this which is why I and others have asked you for a reputable source. It was news to me.
    Now you say you don't know.

12. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Sorry. It appeared as if I was stating fact. It was an assumption. Upon further research, it does ‘appear’ as if it will be a different battery.

I was not trying to be ‘informative’. I was just wondering where Tesla software locked the SoC range in vehicles that had a OTA battery upgrade. Even if they no longer offer it, it was my train of thought at the time.

If I could take it all back, I would and worded the original post better to spark the conversation I was looking for instead of the fiasco this thread became from my original wording.

13. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Even though it doesn't apply to the Model 3, the 75 kWh batteries software locked to 60 kWh can be charged to 100% without fear of damage and without the typical tapering that happens when you actually charge to 100%.

14. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

The Standard Range Model 3 will have a different battery than the Long Range. Without knowing more about the car, this thread and line of questioning is a bit presumptuous.

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is still coming and with a new battery module design

Hence, the standard range battery on the model 3 will be different from the long range battery. There is a reason Tesla doesn't advertise the KWH capacity of its model 3 batteries, to avoid hilarious, nonsensical and inconsequential speculations like this.

another reason why tesla doesn't advertise KWH for the model 3.

• Like x 1