Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 60 kWh version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To promote healthy battery life, we are told ‘by some’ to keep the state of charge between 20% to 80% with our 75 kWh batteries.

Now when the 60 kWh Model 3 comes out, it will basically be a 75 kWh battery software locked to only utilize 60 kWh.

Question: Will the 60 kWh version use the upper state of charge of the 75 kWh battery where all of the small batteries are charged to 4.2v apiece? If so, then to promote battery health would you be asked to keep the state of charge between 0% and 75%?

0% voltage equaling the voltage of a 75 kWh battery at 20% and 75% equaling the voltage of the 75 kWh battery at 80%. It’s still the same battery regardless of how much you are allowed to use.

If the 60 kWh battery utilized the median SoC of the 75 kWh battery, then it would seem that it would be harder for people to damage their battery if they were to charge it to 100% on trips because 100% on the 60 kWh version would be about 90% SoC of the 75 kWh battery that it really is. And draining the software locked 60 kWh battery to 0% is still leaving 10% charge in the battery (which is really a 75 kWh battery). Battery health could be optimized by using 10% to 90% SoC if you have the 60 kWh version.

Now I didn’t want to nitpick the exact numbers or argue the 20-80 or 30-70 SoC. I just wanted to get the main idea across.

Wonder which way they will go when they software lock the 60 kWh range available of the 75 kWh battery.

I’m now sick and tired of typing kWh over and over. Argh!!!

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
News to me. Is there a reputable source for this claim?

What exactly is the claim you are referring to? That the 60 is the same battery as the 75? Tesla has been making Model S’s that utilize software locked batteries. 60 could upgrade OTA to 75. Later, they made a 75 that could upgrade to a 90. If thats what you are referring to then a simple google search will show post on people that upgraded OTA.

Cheaper to make one battery cover 2 versions and hopefully get the lesser version to upgrade later for more profits.

What exactly is the claim you are referring to? That the 60 is the same battery as the 75? Tesla has been making Model S’s that utilize software locked batteries. 60 could upgrade OTA to 75. Later, they made a 75 that could upgrade to a 90. If thats what you are referring to then a simple google search will show post on people that upgraded OTA.

Cheaper to make one battery cover 2 versions and hopefully get the lesser version to upgrade later for more profits.
They won't be doing this at a $35k price point for the Model 3. They did it on the Model S/X because they needed to use their demand lever, and they likey knew they'd be dropping the price of the 75.

Reactions: Johan
So many misinformation in your posts.

Now when the 60 kWh Model 3 comes out, it will basically be a 75 kWh battery software locked to only utilize 60 kWh.
Source?

The short range Model 3 is lighter than the long range Model 3. The difference is the battery pack, meaning they are not putting the larger battery in the short range.

Later, they made a 75 that could upgrade to a 90. If thats what you are referring to then a simple google search will show post on people that upgraded OTA.
They never made any 75 that could upgrade to a 90. Completely false.

Good god, people. Sorry if the later batteries were not upgradeable. I thought I’d saw upgrade options for the bigger battery cars in the Tesla forums. They did do it with the entry level Model S. That’s a FACT. Not anymore? News to me. Sorry.

I never said that the S and X and 3 used the same battery architecture. I don’t know where that came from.

There was TALK of the Model 3 SR having the same battery as the LR. Does it mean it’s going to happen for sure? I don’t know. You don’t know. No matter what they say now about the cars weight in reference to them using a smaller battery, you can guess and assume all you want. Elon Musk probable hasn’t made that decision yet.

Sooooooo...my original question was just a question.

Good god, people. Sorry if the later batteries were not upgradeable. I thought I’d saw upgrade options for the bigger battery cars in the Tesla forums. They did do it with the entry level Model S. That’s a FACT. Not anymore? News to me. Sorry.
Sure. That was the case of the 40 kWh Model S: Entry Level 40kWh Tesla Model S Cancelled, 60 kWh Cars All Get Supercharging Hardware (and actual press release at Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors). That wasn't the case from the 60 kWh to 85 kWh cars. And, sure Tesla has at some points in time shipped vehicles w/software limits and additional capacity that can be unlocked.
You asserted this which is why I and others have asked you for a reputable source. It was news to me.
There was TALK of the Model 3 SR having the same battery as the LR. Does it mean it’s going to happen for sure? I don’t know. You don’t know.
Now you say you don't know.

Sure. That was the case of the 40 kWh Model S: Entry Level 40kWh Tesla Model S Cancelled, 60 kWh Cars All Get Supercharging Hardware (and actual press release at Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors). That wasn't the case from the 60 kWh to 85 kWh cars. And, sure Tesla has at some points in time shipped vehicles w/software limits and additional capacity that can be unlocked.

You asserted this which is why I and others have asked you for a reputable source. It was news to me.

Now you say you don't know.

Sorry. It appeared as if I was stating fact. It was an assumption. Upon further research, it does ‘appear’ as if it will be a different battery.

I was not trying to be ‘informative’. I was just wondering where Tesla software locked the SoC range in vehicles that had a OTA battery upgrade. Even if they no longer offer it, it was my train of thought at the time.

If I could take it all back, I would and worded the original post better to spark the conversation I was looking for instead of the fiasco this thread became from my original wording.

Sorry. It appeared as if I was stating fact. It was an assumption. Upon further research, it does ‘appear’ as if it will be a different battery.

I was not trying to be ‘informative’. I was just wondering where Tesla software locked the SoC range in vehicles that had a OTA battery upgrade. Even if they no longer offer it, it was my train of thought at the time.

If I could take it all back, I would and worded the original post better to spark the conversation I was looking for instead of the fiasco this thread became from my original wording.
Even though it doesn't apply to the Model 3, the 75 kWh batteries software locked to 60 kWh can be charged to 100% without fear of damage and without the typical tapering that happens when you actually charge to 100%.

The Standard Range Model 3 will have a different battery than the Long Range. Without knowing more about the car, this thread and line of questioning is a bit presumptuous.

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is still coming and with a new battery module design

The CEO said that Tesla came up with a new battery module design that will be less expensive

Hence, the standard range battery on the model 3 will be different from the long range battery. There is a reason Tesla doesn't advertise the KWH capacity of its model 3 batteries, to avoid hilarious, nonsensical and inconsequential speculations like this.

I’m now sick and tired of typing kWh over and over. Argh!!!

another reason why tesla doesn't advertise KWH for the model 3.

Reactions: xpitxbullx