Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The $7500 option package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much talk and much forum space has been devoted to "imminent" upgrades to the Model S. Many people have declared their intent to await these future upgrades (myself included), which everyone is certain are just around the corner (now Q2 2018).

But what finally pushed me into ordering earlier this month was to ask myself if the improvements I envisioned are worth $7500. In other words, if those improvements were offered as a $7500 option package, would I be willing to buy it? Because that's very possibly (if not likely) what it would cost me by not buying now because of the potential loss of the the tax credit.

I realized that I would not be willing to pay $7500 for an option package that included coat hooks, lighted vanity mirrors, adjustable seat-belt anchor, possibly some nicer interior trim, a better console, or even a faster CPU in the MCU.

If I am lucky, when Tesla gets around to adding the above items to the Model S, I can buy the upgrade or part from Tesla to upgrade what I saved $7500 on.

Reactions: whitex
Don't forget that newer doesn't always means better. Our latest MS came with new mirror design - no functional difference whatsoever, but took multiple mirror assemblies to finally get one that worked (it took Tesla few months to figure out and correct the design flaw). And let's not forget the biggest new feature for which some people traded in their old cars a year ago, and it still isn't up to par with the old one - AP2.

Don't forget that newer doesn't always means better.
Other recent examples that have disappointed many are:

1) Discontinuation of the solid roof.
2) Discontinuation of perforated & ventilated seats, something I have really appreciated in Toyota Avalon, where they function perfectly.
3) Discontinuation of leather seating. This was a personal disappointment for me; I will just have to hope that Elon is correct that the performance of the replacement polyurethane seats is superior (but I cannot imagine that they breath better than leather).
4) Discontinuation of the silver 21" turbine wheels.
5) Changed the lower dash panels from white to black in the ultra-white interior of the Model S. A lot of people (including me) think that it looked much better with the white panels.

Reactions: KyleDay and croman
In other words, if those improvements were offered as a $7500 option package, would I be willing to buy it? Because that's very possibly (if not likely) what it would cost me by not buying now because of the potential loss of the the tax credit.

The tax credit is phased out gradually. The next phase will drop it to $3,750 (unless our GOP friends decide to change the rules). So, if I'm right, if you buy within the next year or so, the most you'll lose is half of the current tax credit... and the enjoyment of driving a Tesla sooner than later.

The tax credit is phased out gradually. The next phase will drop it to $3,750 (unless our GOP friends decide to change the rules). So, if I'm right, if you buy within the next year or so, the most you'll lose is half of the current tax credit... and the enjoyment of driving a Tesla sooner than later.

The OP is referring to the tax revamp plans currently being floated in DC...

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The EV tax credit has been discontinued after the end of this year in the new tax bill just passed by the House of Representatives. Whether the Senate will accept this or not is unknown.

Senate version retains the EV tax credit. Read all about it here.

Reconciliation will be the test, assuming that the Senate even has the votes to pass their bill - which IMO is incredibly unlikely.

Last paragraph from the linked article:

“If anything actually comes of any of this, it will likely be a long time before we see any real progress one way or the other. There has been a concern (at least to Republicans) that the House will get squeezed by an impatient President looking to get his tax bill passed, accepting many of the Senate’s changes – which would be good news for those looking to see the EV tax credit live on.”

If they wouldn't always announce new things, it would be a lot easier to be happy with what the sell now. But after seeing a 600 mile totally crazy sports car and a 500 mile semi truck, both for 200k and knowing that they also sell a 80kWh 44k Model 3, I just can't consider the Model S/X really good value anymore.

I still know they are good, but I wouldn't feel good buying a 115k 100D right now, much less a 150k P100D. Not that I'd buy a semi, or even a roadster, but now the range of the S and X just doesn't look so good anymore. And if they can charge the semi, which is made for durability, in 30 minutes to 80%...

I still know they are good cars, I really do and it's not like I'd need more range (I'd like an updated interior), but those constant superlatives mess with my head.

I really look forward to the day, when Tesla just announces what's coming out right now, instead of what's coming out in two to three years.

Reactions: Sousagil90D
If they wouldn't always announce new things, it would be a lot easier to be happy with what the sell now. But after seeing a 600 mile totally crazy sports car and a 500 mile semi truck, both for 200k and knowing that they also sell a 80kWh 44k Model 3, I just can't consider the Model S/X really good value anymore.

I still know they are good, but I wouldn't feel good buying a 115k 100D right now, much less a 150k P100D. Not that I'd buy a semi, or even a roadster, but now the range of the S and X just doesn't look so good anymore. And if they can charge the semi, which is made for durability, in 30 minutes to 80%...

I still know they are good cars, I really do and it's not like I'd need more range (I'd like an updated interior), but those constant superlatives mess with my head.

I really look forward to the day, when Tesla just announces what's coming out right now, instead of what's coming out in two to three years.
There will always be someone who complain. Some complain that Tesla doesn't tell them ahead enough about changes coming, others (like you) complain that they announce too much ahead. There is no pleasing everybody. By the way, I still don't get why a $250K roadster coming in 2 years, or a Semi, is affecting your decision today, especially that you said you wouldn't buy either of those anyways and don't need their range or speed. How do products which may or may not come in 2 years which you don't want to buy, affect your purchase decisions today?

Reactions: PrGrPa and OBX John
There will always be someone who complain. Some complain that Tesla doesn't tell them ahead enough about changes coming, others (like you) complain that they announce too much ahead. There is no pleasing everybody. By the way, I still don't get why a $250K roadster coming in 2 years, or a Semi, is affecting your decision today, especially that you said you wouldn't buy either of those anyways and don't need their range or speed. How do products which may or may not come in 2 years which you don't want to buy, affect your purchase decisions today?

Well, I know that there will be a longer range Model S now. At least that’s what I think. And that’s the problem, I don’t know anything about the Model S timeline, but too much about the upcoming cars I cannot buy.