Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 85 does not make sense with the release of the 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The advantage my 85 has over the 70, as someone mentioned above, is after 10 years of degradation I will still have 70 range or greater. A 70 degraded 10-15% over time will make it a stretch. Of course new battery packs for cheap may be available at that time. Or Tesla could be out of business by then. hard to predict.

One other minor, but worth considering, point is the residual range over time with battery degradation. I usually keep my cars about 10 years, so loss of 10-20% of range is pretty significant in the smaller capacity 70D. Again, in 8-10 years that may be a non-issue with the growth of the supercharger network.

At Costa Mesa sales and delivery center I was told that they had a customer come back in who owns an S85 with 110,000 miles and battery check at the service center had shown 92% capacity. At that rate, the S70 would still retain 64kWh capacity and 221 EPA miles of range. For as little as I drive, that would be 8 years from now; although I might increase my driving when I get the MS just because of the fun of it.

One more thing:

To me it looks like the S85 is to be discontinued.

Sad news but true...may be all S85 owners have to digest this

- - - Updated - - -

The advantage my 85 has over the 70, as someone mentioned above, is after 10 years of degradation I will still have 70 range or greater. A 70 degraded 10-15% over time will make it a stretch. Of course new battery packs for cheap may be available at that time. Or Tesla could be out of business by then. hard to predict.

This is why I bought a S85....but I also think once giga factory starts producing new battery packs we will be able to buy better battery pack?

I agree, Tesla needs to come out with something with 50+ miles more. They will see there ASP drop more if not. I would expect a 100kWH battery soon, battery cells have changed for the 70 ( they don't need to lower margins/ only plausible reason for more value)

I think this thread in the Model X section discusses the idea of new batteries in detail. I think the case is made that the 70 is the 60 with two more 60 type modules.

The most bang for my buck was buying a 2014 P85+ today used with 16K miles for $79,999 - I don't need an auto pilot nanny and I can drive in the snow with two wheel drive, and with the exception of the P85D - I can hang with every Tesla built to date and smoke almost every ICE I see (within legal speed limits of course). That is value when the car originally cost $130,000 one year ago... I can do a lot with the $50K savings.... I never understood the 60, but for some reason the 70 makes sense - don't ask - it hits some marketing bone, and I like that new blue color.... very very nice. Looks like a solid starter Tesla to bring on converts - just wish it had a convertible top......

I imagine the S85 will stay put simply due to extra frunk space.

On the model 3 and X, I imagine it'll be only AWD due to the efficiency gains of the second motor. More range, more power on AWD on the same battery--can't go wrong!

I just ordered the 85D and like most was somewhat taken aback by yesterday's announcement. However I live in a remote area of Northern California and the closest supercharger just opened and is 240 miles from my house. I couldn't take driving 40 mph to make sure I get there on my frequent trips to SF were I to get the 70D. I also like the better performance numbers of the 85D. I was a little miffed that when I spoke to my DS that because the 7 day change window expired on 4/6 I would have to pay a $500 "change order" fee to get one of the new colors.
i really feel Tesla pulled a fast one and should give customers a free option for change orders on cars that are not yet in production after a major marketing event like this. I'm not blaming the salesmen at the dealers but if they had a few week leed time they could at least give some people some options of buying now or waiting. I also understand its a business and change is always expensive. But it's sort of like buying an expensive suit one day and then find out the next day they now throw in a shirt, tie for the same price.

I imagine the S85 will stay put simply due to extra frunk space.

On the model 3 and X, I imagine it'll be only AWD due to the efficiency gains of the second motor. More range, more power on AWD on the same battery--can't go wrong!

X, likely being only 4" longer than S but considerably higher, would probably have noticeably more frank volume than an SD just from added height alone.

I just ordered the 85D and like most was somewhat taken aback by yesterday's announcement. However I live in a remote area of Northern California and the closest supercharger just opened and is 240 miles from my house. I couldn't take driving 40 mph to make sure I get there on my frequent trips to SF were I to get the 70D. I also like the better performance numbers of the 85D. I was a little miffed that when I spoke to my DS that because the 7 day change window expired on 4/6 I would have to pay a $500 "change order" fee to get one of the new colors.
i really feel Tesla pulled a fast one and should give customers a free option for change orders on cars that are not yet in production after a major marketing event like this. I'm not blaming the salesmen at the dealers but if they had a few week leed time they could at least give some people some options of buying now or waiting. I also understand its a business and change is always expensive. But it's sort of like buying an expensive suit one day and then find out the next day they now throw in a shirt, tie for the same price.

Dude... Please do a forum search re: introduction of the P85+, the introduction of the D, the introduction of autopilot hardware, the introduction of heated steering wheel.
You ordered what you ordered. Don't begrudge those that order after you. There will always be the next big change and you will never be satisfied. Plus- you still have the option to pay the change fee!

I was a little miffed that when I spoke to my DS that because the 7 day change window expired on 4/6 I would have to pay a $500 "change order" fee to get one of the new colors.
i really feel Tesla pulled a fast one and should give customers a free option for change orders on cars that are not yet in production after a major marketing event like this. ... if they had a few week leed time they could at least give some people some options of buying now or waiting.

Good point. It would have been better to have given people a heads up about new colors and battery option or at least to have allowed a longer free change window.

Dude... Please do a forum search re: introduction of the P85+, the introduction of the D, the introduction of autopilot hardware, the introduction of heated steering wheel.
You ordered what you ordered. Don't begrudge those that order after you. There will always be the next big change and you will never be satisfied. Plus- you still have the option to pay the change fee!

Agreed!!

Roadster Sport 2.5 #1305
Sig Red 055

I have an S85D on order. Order was only confirmed 8 days ago. I am thinking of downgrading to 70D and save $9k. I get the same performance but lose 45km range which is not a big deal in my case. If i do not chose the premium package i save a further $6k, making the total saving of $14.5k with $500 penalty. I just cannot ignore such a huge saving. Any thoughts anyone?

I have an S85D on order. Order was only confirmed 8 days ago. I am thinking of downgrading to 70D and save $9k. I get the same performance but lose 45km range which is not a big deal in my case. If i do not chose the premium package i save a further $6k, making the total saving of $14.5k with $500 penalty. I just cannot ignore such a huge saving. Any thoughts anyone?

I'm pretty much in the same boat, but hadn't submitted the order yet. Since you are in your second week before you start to head to production, I would suggest thinking over it one more night and tomorrow dropping to the 70D and whatever you decide on the premium package, realizing that you would also be losing out on the fog lights and power liftgate without the premium package.

One more thing:

To me it looks like the S85 is to be discontinued.

Next possible RWD might be the Model III.

I concur: you are probably correct.
We know the Model X will only be available as AWD.

Once the Model III is available, the big distinction between the entry-level Model III and any of the other Tesla Models will be RWD as the basic cost efficient version.

Keep in mind the 85D is almost a full second faster 0-60 so you will be giving up some performance

I have an S85D on order. Order was only confirmed 8 days ago. I am thinking of downgrading to 70D and save $9k. I get the same performance ...

No you dont.
The 85D is substantially and noticeably faster than the 70D, 329hp vs 422hp, and until somebody proves it, the charging speed may be reduced too.
Also as the battery ages the range will come down, at what point does that range reduction become important for your driving?
Only you can decide that value though.

I order my S85 last week-end, so I still can change "for free".
I'm wondering indeed if the 70D is not a better choice. I drive daily less about 70 miles, only twice a year we have a vacation (sky & sea) that takes us for a 600 or 800 miles journey thru France.
The same level of equipment amounts for a saving of $2000 if I chose the 70D.
70D adds dual drive & alcantara (which I don't care for actually)
S85 has a bit better range

I wonder about the value of the S85 in a couple of years, when all Tesla's will be D versions.

I'm trying to get a comment/advise from the Tesla SD, but no reply so far.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Well - I paid the $500. My 85D was autoconfirmed hours before the announcement. I downgraded to the 70D without premium. Saved almost $14k.

I have 4 superchargers in the 4 compass directions 60-90 miles from my house. Vacation home 130 miles away. Haven't driven over 350 miles on a trip in 10 years.

On performance, I was expecting a low 5 second car and that is what I am getting. I did consider the $10k was getting me a very very fast car. And I almost did it. But for some strange reason, the battery upgrade has always been an expensive lease line item and I am leasing. So it was $180 a month. Other options are cheaper compared to the cash price - I have no logical explanation for that one.

Degradation? 10 years from now - I'll be driving a better car than the Model S. Heresy I know. Maybe the Model S will be the local car and the Model A (for autonomous) will be the roadtrip car.