Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The additional seals on the Model 3 really work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Since I picked up my car on Mon it's all been pretty hectic. But today I finally got the chance to clean it and take a really close look. In general, I'm actually very happy with the paintwork. There is a small chip on the sill near the entrance to the rear offside door which will need a touch-up. It looks like someone banged something against it during transport or prep. Then there is a tiny hair under the clear coat on the front bumper. Other than that, it's damn near perfect. I'm actually quite impressed. There's no obvious orange peel effect and the clear coat looks free of scratches. A happy bunny.

I did notice a few minor QA things though - the plastic strip under the sill on the offside wasn't properly seated, and the door seal on the passenger front door was falling off. Both were an easy DIY fix.

Then I got to adding a few accessories:

- Mud flaps
- Screen protector
- Roof glass rubber seal
- Additional seals on the doors and frunk

All were pretty simple to install and look great - very OEM. And a revelation.... the seals make a big difference to cabin noise levels. It's a cheap and simple thing to do and it's very effective.

Just need to do the console wrap now - should have it next week. And then remove the aero covers once the caps arrive - although they are growing on me.

Finally, I've decided that the asymmetry on the bumper isn't something I can live with so I've booked it into an SC to get corrected. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into an argument with them...

I'm intrigued to know whether the roof seal really makes any difference, what do you think? Also the US vids I've seen of people installing them, it looks a bit basic, like they'll come out easily with a good wash? What about the door seals, I'm more keen to try them, I can see it making a real difference. Please advise which brand you got if you're really happy with them.

I've got quite an annoying whistle at speeds about 55mph from passenger side, I think it's probably the door windows not tight enough on the seals, did you have anything similar? What is jarring is that the driver side sounds completely quiet, but from many years with cars, sounds/rattles can be in very different places to where they seem to come from when driving. I do wonder if door striker adjustment might fix it.

As for asymmetry, only thing I've got is the boot - one side at the top near the hinge is very close to adjacent panel, other side normal gap. I reckon this could be adjusted out - be interested to hear how long for your appointment and how they treat you.

I'm intrigued to know whether the roof seal really makes any difference, what do you think? Also the US vids I've seen of people installing them, it looks a bit basic, like they'll come out easily with a good wash? What about the door seals, I'm more keen to try them, I can see it making a real difference. Please advise which brand you got if you're really happy with them.

I've got quite an annoying whistle at speeds about 55mph from passenger side, I think it's probably the door windows not tight enough on the seals, did you have anything similar? What is jarring is that the driver side sounds completely quiet, but from many years with cars, sounds/rattles can be in very different places to where they seem to come from when driving. I do wonder if door striker adjustment might fix it.

As for asymmetry, only thing I've got is the boot - one side at the top near the hinge is very close to adjacent panel, other side normal gap. I reckon this could be adjusted out - be interested to hear how long for your appointment and how they treat you.
I've got exactly the same, irritating whistle from the passenger side at higher speeds. Also i've booked into SC to get my boot lid adjusted. Everything else is spot on. Let me know if you find a resolution to the whistle.

Do you mean the door seals make the biggest difference?

Which ones did you get?
Yes, I did in fact fit the roof seal first and didn't notice any real difference. It's the door seals which make make the big difference. These are the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R13DYYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are fairly easy fit. It's a complete kit - front & rear doors, A pillar and B pillar. Plus a seal for the frunk and the boot. I fitted the one on the frunk, but the boot looks more complicated and probably not really necessary. This is a good video showing the fitting:

This is the roof seal I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q1C9Q35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits fine (although a bit of a fiddle). As per post above, I don't think it really makes that much difference. I don't think a wash will see if coming out.

Door seal link in the post above.

I have roof and full door seal kits on my car. Can't tell a difference. Also the doors are harder to shut, need to slam them now to close. I'm close to uninstalling the door seals now because of it.
Maybe it depends on the seals. For me it made a very noticable difference. Also, the doors are really no harder to close than before, and the closing noise is better damped.

I don't have any whistling sounds, but there is some wind noise, seemingly from top front of driver's window, at speeds over 60mph. The pedestrian side seems silent. It's my next job to sort out. I suspect it's sealing on the window. As you say though, it can be misleading as to where sounds really are originating from. I remember in a Golf years ago having a really annoying rattle from the dash that I could never find. It turned out in the end that it was actually from the sunglasses holder on the roof by the rear view mirror.

Yes, let's see. It's actually beginning to look worse the more I look at it!

Yes, I did in fact fit the roof seal first and didn't notice any real difference. It's the door seals which make make the big difference. These are the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R13DYYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are fairly easy fit. It's a complete kit - front & rear doors, A pillar and B pillar. Plus a seal for the frunk and the boot. I fitted the one on the frunk, but the boot looks more complicated and probably not really necessary. This is a good video showing the fitting:

Have you installed frunk seal? Can't see it included in the kit linked

Have you installed frunk seal? Can't see it included in the kit linked
It's not shown in the Amazon listing, but the kit comes with two additional seals - one for the frunk, the other for the boot. I wasn't expecting them but they're there. As I said, I installed the frunk seal since it's pretty easy and obvious. The boot seal though is huge and it's not immediately clear where to install it. I'm not convinced it'll make any difference anyhow.

Since I picked up my car on Mon it's all been pretty hectic. But today I finally got the chance to clean it and take a really close look. In general, I'm actually very happy with the paintwork. There is a small chip on the sill near the entrance to the rear offside door which will need a touch-up. It looks like someone banged something against it during transport or prep. Then there is a tiny hair under the clear coat on the front bumper. Other than that, it's damn near perfect. I'm actually quite impressed. There's no obvious orange peel effect and the clear coat looks free of scratches. A happy bunny.

I did notice a few minor QA things though - the plastic strip under the sill on the offside wasn't properly seated, and the door seal on the passenger front door was falling off. Both were an easy DIY fix.

Then I got to adding a few accessories:

- Mud flaps
- Screen protector
- Roof glass rubber seal
- Additional seals on the doors and frunk

All were pretty simple to install and look great - very OEM. And a revelation.... the seals make a big difference to cabin noise levels. It's a cheap and simple thing to do and it's very effective.

Just need to do the console wrap now - should have it next week. And then remove the aero covers once the caps arrive - although they are growing on me.

Finally, I've decided that the asymmetry on the bumper isn't something I can live with so I've booked it into an SC to get corrected. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into an argument with them...

Could you post a link to the mud flaps you got? How difficult were they to fit? Looking for some and wanting them to look OEM

Could you post a link to the mud flaps you got? How difficult were they to fit? Looking for some and wanting them to look OEM
Here tis:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V9CQZW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although TBH, I think it's just a generic set made in China and marketed under lots of brand names. Having said that though, they fit fine and look good. In fact, I think they actually make the car look a little nice - it looks little wider. Odd I know - but there it is!

Fitting is very easy. A half hour is all you need really. There's two pilot holes to be drilled in the plastic liner of the front wheel arches, but it's very easy. Removing the plastic rivets is more easily done with a removal tool, but it's doable with a screwdriver too. If you want to spend a few quid more, these will do the trick. The pronged tool is the one to use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyshadow-...oval+tool&qid=1570389312&s=automotive&sr=1-25

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisA70 and Roy W.

My Model 3 is at the service centre today to fix a whistle from the passenger side between 40 and 50mph. It’s coming from the door mirror. The technician said it might be to do with a piece of foam behind the mirror cap.

I'm curious about this. The Amazon listing says "The Car Door Rubber Seal Strip has been custom-cut specifically for model 3", but the video linked talks about trimming the seals at various places (drain holes, excess, etc) which would suggest it's basically just a reel of seal strip that is provided.

What is "custom" about this if you have to trim it in various places to fit it?

I was surprised how much difference the door seals I used made. The noise was reduced to roughly the same as the Leaf rather than being excessively loud which was one of my gripes when I first got the car.

The seals I got were somewhat custom.. different types of seal for different parts and a proper L shape for the door corners. The excess is just to avoid being too short accidentally I think. I didn't have to trim for drain holes - they weren't blocked.

I had similar mud flaps but they weren't flat on the front facing part, they were concave, which would introduce a lot of drag, so I decided not to fit them. Will look at that later on.

Not tried the roof seal.. I may do if it helps, but the videos I saw on it were inconclusive.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Thx for the link and spending my money :p
Arrives tomorrow :)

Reactions: Fraank
I was surprised how much difference the door seals I used made. The noise was reduced to roughly the same as the Leaf rather than being excessively loud which was one of my gripes when I first got the car.

The seals I got were somewhat custom.. different types of seal for different parts and a proper L shape for the door corners. The excess is just to avoid being too short accidentally I think. I didn't have to trim for drain holes - they weren't blocked.

I had similar mud flaps but they weren't flat on the front facing part, they were concave, which would introduce a lot of drag, so I decided not to fit them. Will look at that later on.

Not tried the roof seal.. I may do if it helps, but the videos I saw on it were inconclusive.
Did you buy the ones from Amazon linked above (the BASENOR ones) ?