Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Adjustable Wing Can Still Be Ordered!??

Would you order this option if available?

• Yes

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peteybabes

redneck drivin' a tesla...
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
Well I stopped past our local Tesla Store in Columbus OH (Easton) to check out the first Cream Interior that has become available to the inventory fleet. And yes it's absolutely gorgeous! :)

I was speaking to the saleswomen about my X and the features it had that were not longer available on the newer car and when i mentioned the wing she said with great confidence that it could still be ordered.

When I challenged her and mentioned that it wasn't even on the website anymore, she said that if you ask at the time of purchase it can be added and said that it wasn't standard because of some issues it had in the past.

To this day I've never had trouble with the rear adjustable wing on my car, but then again i haven't been through a winter with it yet either. :)

I’d definitely like to see someone try to prove this on an order. I think it’s one more case of twisted information.

Personally I’d like to have an adjustable wing so you can make it as invisible as possible when driving (from the driver’s seat). Obviously that’s only true for people of one height. :)

Failing that I’d pay for a ‘lowerable’ one. But this ‘you can still order them’. Nah.

Well I stopped past our local Tesla Store in Columbus OH (Easton) to check out the first Cream Interior that has become available to the inventory fleet. And yes it's absolutely gorgeous! :)

I was speaking to the saleswomen about my X and the features it had that were not longer available on the newer car and when i mentioned the wing she said with great confidence that it could still be ordered.

When I challenged her and mentioned that it wasn't even on the website anymore, she said that if you ask at the time of purchase it can be added and said that it wasn't standard because of some issues it had in the past.

To this day I've never had trouble with the rear adjustable wing on my car, but then again i haven't been through a winter with it yet either. :)

I don't think you can order it anymore, it has been quite a while now and they likely only maintain parts to replace those in future at minimum that originally had it.

In the Winter, you read a lot more problems occurring with them for sure (on here you'll see them). But, I did notice that in the Winter, it is kinda nice if you live in cold/snowy region with the fixed spoiler as it helps keep about 6 inches or so of the bottom of the window clear from snow more - can see out easier as defrosters do their job on rest if don't sweep it all off.

Reactions: dragonxt
I don't think you can order it anymore, it has been quite a while now and they likely only maintain parts to replace those in future at minimum that originally had it.

In the Winter, you read a lot more problems occurring with them for sure (on here you'll see them). But, I did notice that in the Winter, it is kinda nice if you live in cold/snowy region with the fixed spoiler as it helps keep about 6 inches or so of the bottom of the window clear from snow more - can see out easier as defrosters do their job on rest if don't sweep it all off.
this is what i thought too, i just wanted to check my sanity...i know that the sales people are the most knowledgeable of all Tesla personnel...(heaps of sarcasm here)

The adjustable wing is stupid IMHO. Just one more thing to malfunction.

It is NOT the reason I bought the car.

I will be locking mine upright for Winter so the snow and ice don't damage it. I would leave it there all the time if I wasn't worried about vandalism.

Best,

T

Personally I’d like to have an adjustable wing so you can make it as invisible as possible when driving (from the driver’s seat). Obviously that’s only true for people of one height. :)
It's actually true for multiple people heights. The point of view of anyone driving and facing forward is the view from the location of the rear view mirror, which is the same regardless of the height of a person. The angle of the mirror may change, but it will always reflect a view from its own height - angling the mirror only changes where it projects that view.

When you are backing up, if you look over your shoulder out the back window, then the height of the driver would come into play.

I haven't heard of a lot of people having issues with the adjustable spoiler, but mine is in the shop right now for exactly that. The passenger side pedestal mount is loose and makes a rattle sounds while driving and a creaking sound when raising/lowering.

I do agree it's just another thing to go wrong, but it was a big reason why I went with a performance model. I like the fact that it retracts and disappears when the car is parked. Personally, I'm not really sure the 2nd position helps much with range. However, it's really a simple design and I see no reason why Tesla can't fix the design to make it reliable.

And to correct the above post, you cannot drive with the spoiler in the fully retracted (parked) position. That could obviously change with a future OTA update, but I have my doubts Tesla would ever allow it.

Reactions: CarbonFree
I think that person is mistaken. Well meaning, but wrong. Tesla discontinued the moveable spoiler on the X a long time ago. I have not heard of anyone getting on on their X for about a year now, if I recall correctly.

When the X launched and only the P model had the moveable spoiler, I wondered why, if the moveable spoiler really helped the aerodynamics, Tesla didn’t put it on every X given the high price point of the car. When the moveable spoiler was discontinued, I suspected that it really didn’t make that much difference and that it had been decided it was not worth the extra cost and the potential warranty repair costs that could be incurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
Looks can grow on you...I find the MX just gorgeous now; however, when I first saw it, to me it looked like a Model S where somebody had farted in it with the windows up and distorted the shape. But I digress...

I have a loaner P90DX with the articulating spoiler. Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder...speaking freely, the techie nerd in me loves the ability to move it up and down, but when its down it looks like something is missing. Like a ducks bill rear end...kind of reminds me of the Audi A7 rear end - definitely not my thing.

I have the wing and think it is cool. With over 20 months and 18K miles on my 90D, I haven't had problems since the first few firmwares. During those times, it was doing the opposite of what it is supposed to do: i.e. be up while driving and down when parked!