Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The AGL all you can charge $1 a day deal and the Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joninmelbourne

Solid Black S60 new face
Jun 29, 2016
Melbourne
Hi everyone,

My Tesla Wall connector just arrived at my house yesterday but I am not sure whether to install it right away or wait until November to see what the AGL deal requires.

As many of you may know, AGL is offering from November a $1 a day plan to charge your Tesla as much as you want. I emailed they to ask if you require a separate circuit and AGL Smart meter and they said "most likely" but to wait until November for for details.

So my worry is that if I pay $1000 to install the wall connector now, switching to AGL in November may require it to be rewired to their specification. But if I don't wire it up now will I run short on charge? My daily commute is only about 40km so I guess I should be OK until November barring unforeseen circumstances. What do you reckon? Actually very excited about the AGL deal and it was one of the final pushes I needed to pull the trigger and purchase. Apparently they have an oversupply of electricity and see electric vehicles a way of reducing their overload. Thanks

Install the HPWC. I presume that they only "supply" the electricity connection (retail). The network provider is the one that dictates what you can connect and how. If they're one and the same then talk to AGL now. 3-phase at 32A should be OK almost anywhere thought. As for $1 a day and the driving that you describe? It is doubtful that you would average $1 per day in usage, so that may not be the most economical way to go and a "night rate" or "super economy" (same thing usually) might be available. Best to check. Say your daily commute was 40km, that would be roughly 8 units (kWh) per day. IF the night rate is around 10 cents then $0.80 a day and you're better off letting AGL's offer slide. If it is likely that you'll be running over that on average then go with the $1 per day. At the moment, fwiw, having monitored my daily driving for about 7 months, I find that I am using 73 cents per day at roughly 16 cents/unit (kWh).

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Thanks for the reply Gary. Queensland electricity seems much cheaper than Victoria. I pay around 27 cents per KWH. I haven't seen 10 cents a KWH anywhere in Victoria, even off peak rates. I think if I knew $1 was all I'd pay I would use the car more at weekends and drive to see distant friends and attractions more. So the $1 a day is worth it here.

I travel around 23,000km's per year, at an average of 32c/KW (green energy via PowerShop) and getting around 5km's per KW (just over $20 to juice up when charged to 63, I have a S70) this means I am averaging $4.10 per day.

On AGL $1 per day charge any time it does sounds pretty interesting....however...how green are they being compared to Diamond/PowerShop etc.?

If AGL get serious about and can convince me they are investing heavily in renewables (at least to the same level of the other suppliers) then I may very well go for it. I feel too much is happening in the battery home storage space therefore worthwhile waiting another few years before I shell out, not to mention I am on the road most of the day so charging occurs for me at night and I need on average to pump in between 10 and 20kw's....PowerWall batteries are too expensive based on the calculations I've done and the degradation is too rapid...at least in what Tesla is willing to cover warranty wise (unless one goes a Simon Hackett's route?)

Am I missing something here? $1 per day from anything above 7,000 - 8,000km per year and you start to save $'s if paying only $1 per day.

-ECIT

Look for a controlled load or off peak plan. AGL in postcode 3000 is 14c/kWh off peak. The $1 per day unlimited works out ok, but if you negotiatie a discount - easy to do - then you may be able to do better, depending on your usage.

I just use controlled load via a contactor that switches power on at 10pm and off at 5pm and its around 12c in Sydney

There is this:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/ener...3b-renewable-energy-fund-20160209-gmq2in.html

I seem to recall somewhere articles about how AGL is lobbying the federal government against reducing funding for green energies.

However, I think AGL still probably has a lot invested in coal. I also seem to remember last I checked that while the on peak rates were less then some competitors, their off peak rates were a lot more. Need to recheck this. So might want to keep this in mind if planning to charge your Tesla off peak or when comparing this $1 a day.

Mark E: 23000km / 290 (amount of real km's out of 63KW charged battery) /12 / 4.34 / 7 equals 22% of a 63KW battery per day on average is required for me....so total average charge is 13.86KW's per day.

AGL: $1 per day charge anytime
Off Peak on something like Tariff 31: 13.86 x 12 cents = $1.66 (plus I am forced to charge during certain hours - presumably if I am able to charge during daylight hours I give AGL a better opportunity to supply me green energy whereas Tariff 31 will be 100% coal generated)

My driving usage or tariff rate would have to drop a lot to be cheaper that $1 per day...

Also, we'll have 2x Tesla's soon...I wonder if I can alternate between them for the same $1 per day?

I never bothered to install my hpwc and I have been driving for over a year using my UMC at home from a standard socket in the carport. I do about 40 km/day commute and have never felt the need to charge more. If I have along trip planned I charge up over a couple of nights beforehand to get a full charge. I would rather see more hpwc and superchargers in the community where you often charge for a short time so need the maximum boost.

Just did my comparisons, I think I'll stay with PowerShop:
  • Over the past 12months I have averaged 22.82KW's per day (car included)
  • Due to paying online (via my iPhone with the GetUp Deal) and in advance my average KW rate has been $0.1942 per KW and $0.9404 supply daily charge
If I change to AGL then:
  • My KW for the house will be charged at $0.2475 and a daily supply charge of $1.26
  • My car at $1 per day
Therefore since I use 10KW's per day as an average on the car the figures work out like this:

With PowerShop: ((22.82 x $0.1942) + $0.9404) x 7 x 52 / 12 = $162.85 average monthly bill
With AGL: (((22.82 - 10) x $0.2475) + $1 + $1.26) x 7 x 52 / 12 = $1.64.80 average monthly bill

I guess if all of a sudden I started trying more than 10KWs of energy per day AGL would work out cheaper, however the more house hold electricity I use then closes this gap.

Seems staying with PowerShop, paying in advance is still cheaper.

At first the AGL looked great, and in isloation from the house is....when the full picture is taken in to account the landscape changes.

-ECIT

I'm in Melbourne, if elect to have charges direct debited then get offered a 28% discount off of standard rates plans, this is called a "Set and Forget Plan", the rates I quoted above are based on the plan/method of payment.

I didn't see any point in going to a 2 year plan as AGL are only honouring the AGL $1 per day EV deal for 12 months, after such time they may or may not continue the plan...that and the price difference between 1 year and 2 years in terms of supply and KW charges are a tiny amount.

@Simbul you should be aware the rates I am quoting include GST. The rates you have quoted above are without GST. You can check out all AGL rates here: Compare Electricity Prices and Gas Prices | AGL

See attachment for QLD using Energex which quote the rates you have but you'll see with GST increaes the rates you denoted above by 10%

-ECIT

Attachments

• CapturFiles-11-19-2016_10.19.07.jpg
    CapturFiles-11-19-2016_10.19.07.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited: