Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The AGL all you can charge $1 a day deal and the Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did my comparisons, I think I'll stay with PowerShop:
  • Over the past 12months I have averaged 22.82KW's per day (car included)
  • Due to paying online (via my iPhone with the GetUp Deal) and in advance my average KW rate has been $0.1942 per KW and $0.9404 supply daily charge
If I change to AGL then:
  • My KW for the house will be charged at $0.2475 and a daily supply charge of $1.26
  • My car at $1 per day
Therefore since I use 10KW's per day as an average on the car the figures work out like this:

With PowerShop: ((22.82 x $0.1942) + $0.9404) x 7 x 52 / 12 = $162.85 average monthly bill
With AGL: (((22.82 - 10) x $0.2475) + $1 + $1.26) x 7 x 52 / 12 = $1.64.80 average monthly bill

I guess if all of a sudden I started trying more than 10KWs of energy per day AGL would work out cheaper, however the more house hold electricity I use then closes this gap.

Seems staying with PowerShop, paying in advance is still cheaper.

At first the AGL looked great, and in isloation from the house is....when the full picture is taken in to account the landscape changes.

-ECIT
Don't forget that Powershop charge different rates depending on Time of Use, so you may need to factor that in ie if you are currently charging at night the ToU tariff is smaller than if you charge during the day.
Does AGL's offer cover daytime or nighttime or both?
I'm with Powershop, btw- i really like them, and ive been spruiking them to others. My previous supplier was just abusing me, really.
If you want to sign with Powershop, let me know and I'll donate the referral fee to a mutually-agreed charity.

@ICUDoc

I called up PowerShop and they talked me through looking at my average costs over that last 12mths on their website....I do a combination of plugging in during the day (work from home and often plugged in during the day) and night, so the figures I supplied before are my real life usage rates for my car and house over the 12mths.

Since I knew my averages it was easy for me to work out.

What it high lights to me is one has to be doing a fair bit more than 10kw per day to be worth while, at least in my case.

-ECIT

@EcoCloudIT that is a great deal you have with powershop, not available here unfortunately, plus, l average about 20kwh a day on house and a bit more than 20kwh on car each day... so AGL it is for me, as much better than anything Origin has at moment.

@ICUDoc it is charged $1 a day regardless how much you use and also doesn't matter what time plug in.

I have signed up, coming out next Friday for inspection before install sub meter..

They got back to me and sent someone out just now and apologised for the stuff up. Nice subcontractor explained the process. So new things I learnt: they won't do the deal unless the sub meter is connected to your wall charger. So you can't just have a standard plug nominated (I guess you could have all you appliances plugged into it for free if they did!). AGL pay the cost of the SUV meter and you pay the cost of the wall charger installation onto the submeter. They are sending me a quote. If you have a porcelain switch box (like me) you may need to upgrade.

I got a call from the subcontractors asking how many amps the Tesla charges at. I said it varies according to where your charging and you could change the amperage in the car. To which they said "that's dangerous". Bit surprised they haven't researched it. The wall connector is 32 amps right? But it can be dailed down. They then said my house may be reaching its maximum power rating. It's a normal 4 bed house. They finished by saying they will submit a "report" to AGL soon.

Last edited:
I got a call from the subcontractors asking how many amps the Tesla charges at. I said it varies according to where your charging and you could change the amperage in the car. To which they said "that's dangerous". Bit surprised they haven't researched it. The wall connector is 32 amps right? But it can be dailed down. They then said my house may be reaching its maximum power rating. It's a normal 4 bed house. They finished by saying they will submit a "report" to AGL soon.
The wall connector has 4 dip switches that allow you to set the pilot signal that your car will read when you plug it in.
This allows you to restrict the maximum charging amps to an amount that your circuit can support.
The 4 levels are 40, 32, 16 and 10 on the single phase connector.
Your My Tesla page should have the wall connector installation guide that you can print and give to your electrician, if not send me your e-mail by private conversation and I will e-mail you both the single and three phase installation guides.

Anyone thought about using the $1 a day to fill a PowerWall?
My guess is that it would be a lot cheaper than installing solar panels!
I wish you could do that, unfortunately will only apply to the dedicated circuit for the tesla wall charger... if you don't want to use tesla wall charger AGL can provide a EV charger but not sure which type, but again, it will be dedicated for that role and can't be used for anything else..

The wall connector has 4 dip switches that allow you to set the pilot signal that your car will read when you plug it in.
This allows you to restrict the maximum charging amps to an amount that your circuit can support.
The 4 levels are 40, 32, 16 and 10 on the single phase connector.

Think this has changed or can vary. I have a rotary dip switch on mine, and the maximum it goes up to is 32.

Just did my comparisons, I think I'll stay with PowerShop:
  • Over the past 12months I have averaged 22.82KW's per day (car included)
  • Due to paying online (via my iPhone with the GetUp Deal) and in advance my average KW rate has been $0.1942 per KW and $0.9404 supply daily charge
If I change to AGL then:
  • My KW for the house will be charged at $0.2475 and a daily supply charge of $1.26
  • My car at $1 per day
Therefore since I use 10KW's per day as an average on the car the figures work out like this:

With PowerShop: ((22.82 x $0.1942) + $0.9404) x 7 x 52 / 12 = $162.85 average monthly bill
With AGL: (((22.82 - 10) x $0.2475) + $1 + $1.26) x 7 x 52 / 12 = $1.64.80 average monthly bill

I guess if all of a sudden I started trying more than 10KWs of energy per day AGL would work out cheaper, however the more house hold electricity I use then closes this gap.

Seems staying with PowerShop, paying in advance is still cheaper.

At first the AGL looked great, and in isloation from the house is....when the full picture is taken in to account the landscape changes.

-ECIT
Simbul, recently the electrical companies advertised the 2017 rates and none had an increase lower than 8% some as high as 40%+. Keep in mind.

I got back a quote of $0 dollars for install, and was waiting for the power to switch over to AGL (can take up to 4 weeks). Got a welcomed AGL SMS this morning, so from what l was told, subcontractor won't install until you are switched over to AGL and live in their system. So hopefully next week install might happen, but l do know they are swamped with requests, so may take some time. Got my last bill from Origin today as well, 43kw average per day for month of November...