Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The AGL all you can charge $1 a day deal and the Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

My Tesla Wall connector just arrived at my house yesterday but I am not sure whether to install it right away or wait until November to see what the AGL deal requires.

As many of you may know, AGL is offering from November a $1 a day plan to charge your Tesla as much as you want. I emailed they to ask if you require a separate circuit and AGL Smart meter and they said "most likely" but to wait until November for for details.

So my worry is that if I pay $1000 to install the wall connector now, switching to AGL in November may require it to be rewired to their specification. But if I don't wire it up now will I run short on charge? My daily commute is only about 40km so I guess I should be OK until November barring unforeseen circumstances. What do you reckon? Actually very excited about the AGL deal and it was one of the final pushes I needed to pull the trigger and purchase. Apparently they have an oversupply of electricity and see electric vehicles a way of reducing their overload. Thanks

I have owned a Leaf for 3 years now. I think I charge away from about twice a year. I expect with my tesla that will be zero times per year (excluding road trips).

Finally got a call back with regard to installation, only to be told, they are now on holidays, first available install date is 10th of Jan. So will take exactly 2 months from start to finish to sign up and get charger meter installed as long as nothing goes wrong during install.

IMG_2376.JPG
Wall charger finally got installed yesterday, my house circuit (l have 3 phase power) could only sustain a 3 phase 16amp circuit, but even that still allows for about 50km a hour charge.

Installation took a long time, about 6 hours.. l was told mine was 2nd one in QLD that had been done, but they are booked out solid, so assume a lot more coming on line soon.

AGL installed their own smart meter at main switch board, then installed a sub meter as per picture as well as a bunch of other gear including isolator.

First night of charge, 39.5kw, 2nd night 20.1kw, all for a total price of $2.... great plan and price...

Just got an call from the electrician doing my install. He said because we have an air conditioner and 50 something plug outlets in the house they can only allow a 16amp connection. Seems annoying as the wall connector can go much higher. It's not as if we'd be using 50 plugs at once in the house. --- just got another call now as I type and he said he spoke to his boss and they can now do 32 amps! Sounds like it's the first they had done one. It's booked for Thursday so will update then.

Was there anything in the AGL fine print saying that you could/couldn't put your location on Plugshare?
You could share the AGL love with other Tesla owners all for a dollar a day, or if you were an entrepreneurial type
and lived close to cafes / shops you could make a very respectable profit.

Fine print says "you must not charge more than one vehicle from the EV charging station or circuit to which AGL Electric Car Plan applies".

So I think charging friends cars is a no no. You also might have problems if you have more then one car to charge.

AGL Energy

Also "no unauthorised device, appliance or installation may be connected to the same circuit as your designated electric vehicle charging station and you must not allow the metering devices or charging station to be altered or replaced without AGL’s permission"

The wall charger is in! The contractors were really good, worked non stop, two guys from about 8am to 2.30pm so big job. Getting 42km/ per hour on average at 32amps. On previous 10amp wall socket was only getting 11km/ per hour. Electricians said the box said "3 phase charger" which they thought might be a problem as I have only got single phase power. A quick call to Tesla revealed that all wall chargers are now single phase and 3 phase compatible and there is only the one type now. Thought about adding to plug share but don't want to annoy AGL! Whole switchboard was upgraded too for free. Very pleased! Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8230.JPG
    IMG_8230.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8227.PNG
    IMG_8227.PNG
    200 KB · Views: 54
The wall charger is in! The contractors were really good, worked non stop, two guys from about 8am to 2.30pm so big job. Getting 42km/ per hour on average at 32amps. On previous 10amp wall socket was only getting 11km/ per hour. Electricians said the box said "3 phase charger" which they thought might be a problem as I have only got single phase power. A quick call to Tesla revealed that all wall chargers are now single phase and 3 phase compatible and there is only the one type now. Thought about adding to plug share but don't want to annoy AGL! Whole switchboard was upgraded too for free. Very pleased! Cheers

Is your car set on rated range?

I would be interested to hear from AGL if there is any sort of reasonable use clause which would allow a friend to charge when they come over for dinner, would be a bit lame to say "sorry AGL won't let you charge your car here so you'll have to stop off at the supercharger on your way home".

I know commercially there has to be some limit but surely they could make room for say 20-30 kwh per week.

Blue Heaven, yes still on rated range. I prefer it, and on a road trip it is realisic. I guess looking at a bigger range is more pleasant than looking at smaller "actual" range!

I'd still let a friend charge. Don't see how they could know occasional use by a friend is not you. But on plug share they could check on you I guess!

Reactions: Blue heaven
I'm getting the AGL $1 a day plan. $365 a year is a fantastic deal for me. I drove around 28k in 12 months using up over 5,000KWh (I average 179 watt-hour per km). At $0.29 per KWh I paid around $1,450 in 12 months. We're moving soon and my commute will increase by a huge margin and I would not be surprised if I drive over 40k a year. I just hope AGL does not drop the plan after a year or two.

I'm getting the AGL $1 a day plan. $365 a year is a fantastic deal for me. I drove around 28k in 12 months using up over 5,000KWh (I average 179 watt-hour per km). At $0.29 per KWh I paid around $1,450 in 12 months. We're moving soon and my commute will increase by a huge margin and I would not be surprised if I drive over 40k a year. I just hope AGL does not drop the plan after a year or two.

Are you on the Queensland WhatsApp group? Some very relevant information for you there...

Finally got my meter installed by AGL, one month after making initial application (in Victoria). I had jetcharge install the cabling within a week of applying with them so all AGL installed was the meter. It appears their demand is quite high and they have precious few technicians to do the install. I was warned it would look ugly but in fact it was all neatly packed in. I'm very pleased with the plan; mainly because I no longer play with scheduled charging and just leave it to charge all the time whenever I'm parked at home now and it's substantially cheaper than even scheduled off peak was working out to.

Did AGL have to install a seperate meter first before the wall charger was installed? Or does it not matter?
You either get your own electrician to do your charger install and then get AGL to install the meter or you get the AGL electrician to do both. The AGL electricians are swamped and there are very few of them so it can take a long time to get your charger if you wait for them to do it. I got jetcharge to do mine and they did it within 5 days. The AGL electrician took a month to come and install the meter - their meter install is free (but they'd charge you if they did the charger install.)