Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The All Things Enhanced AP Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping someone would make a thread that would comprise of everything Enhanced AP but no one has done so (as far as I know) so I thought I'd do it myself

Between all the excitement of Self driving capabilities on new Teslas, I feel the real news has slipped through the cracks, which is Enhanced AP

Honestly, I'm much more excited to see Enhanced AP (Should have been AP+) because it should be coming very soon and in my opinion is on the brink of Level 3

Here's what we know so far from Tesla's website:

Enhanced Autopilot
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval.

On-ramp to Off-ramp
Once on the freeway, your Tesla will determine which lane you need to be in and when. In addition to ensuring you reach your intended exit, Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic. When you reach your exit, your Tesla will depart the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you.

Autosteer+
With the new Tesla Vision cameras, sensors and computing power, your Tesla will navigate tighter, more complex roads.

Smart Summon
With Smart Summon, your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you.

As someone who has been driving AP since its inception, I feel this is a huge leap forward for the entire industry and will truly separate Tesla from the rest of the pack. I also am very aware of the limitations of the current AP and feel like this would overcome basically every shortcoming of the current system. Also, Smart Summon seems like a huge leap from Summon and this feature may finally be useful and practical. Also, it seems as though one can exit the vehicle and allow it to auto park with no one in the vehicle

What do you guys think? Will this finally have the capability to take over on any highway and "drive itself" anywhere that is connected by freeways (excluding charging stops)?

There are so many obstacles for true self driving to be implemented, however having a Level 3 autonomous software by the end of the year is unprecedented, and I feel we should focus our attention on that as it will also tell us a lot about the limitations of a camera-centric self-driving software and the progress of Tesla's AP team

I am wrestling with this info now myself. I have been driving my vintage Model S since 2013. Just decided to upgrade in early October and I have confirmed with my delivery guy that my VIN does have AP 2.0 hardware.

So now I have to make this crazy choice between AP1 software on AP2, EAP or FSDC.

I am also leaning towards Enhanced AP for now (only $2,000 more) and then waiting to see how FSDC plays out.

I have been told that Tesla has often provided a free 1 month trial to AP1 hardware owners that did not activate on delivery. So we can try full autopilot later when it does become available.

Some points:
1) Tesla has made a point of working to maximize hardware capability using software. Now, they are limiting hardware capability using software in order to create three tiers of AP2.0 and maximize revenue. Not bad, just pointing it out.

2) Internal testing has probably shown that 4 vs. 8 cameras is a big difference, hence the choice of those particular numbers. However, if Tesla continues to feel obligated to maximize hardware, they will maximize what 4 cameras can do. How good will EAP get? Did they choose the 4 cams that would maximize, or minimize future potential? (e.g. reading stop signs, traffic lights)

3) What does smart summon do? "Navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you". Not sure what that means. The order page is more specific: "self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage" -- which doesn't sound very enhanced. Would like to hear more from Tesla on this.