Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
Interesting New York Times article today:

This is how our news headlines it:

"Canada’s middle class richest in world: report"

Canada’s middle class richest in world: report - National | Globalnews.ca

Three reasons are listed:

"Three broad factors appear to be driving much of the weak income performance in the United States. First, educational attainment in the United States has risen far more slowly than in much of the industrialized world over the last three decades, making it harder for the American economy to maintain its share of highly skilled, well-paying jobs."

"A second factor is that companies in the United States economy distribute a smaller share of their bounty to the middle class and poor than similar companies elsewhere. Top executives make substantially more money in the United States than in other wealthy countries. The minimum wage is lower. Labor unions are weaker."

"Finally, governments in Canada and Western Europe take more aggressive steps to raise the take-home pay of low- and middle-income households by redistributing income."

Canada has always suffered from some sort of "inferiority complex" (real or not) when compared to the United States, and you practically cannot have a conversation about policy that at some point doesn't devolve into comparisons with the US and "how much better off" we are in Canada. It is actually kind of understandable in that both Canada and the US have a common heritage and are a lot more alike than many care to admit, but the US with its much larger population and influence on the world stage tends to dominate, leaving others feeling somewhat in the shadows.

Fortunately for me with my dual American and Canadian citizenship, I don't have to pick sides :cool: