Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These guys seem to make a little peep about once a year. Now some local type news about them competing for the X-Prize.

Blue Ash firm has car in 100 mpg contest | Cincinnati.com | The Cincinnati Enquirer

te=AB&Date=20091018&Category=BIZ01&ArtNo=910190311&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0.gif

"We're thrilled," said Burns who with a group of local investors started AMP several years ago with the dream of mass-producing electric vehicles.

Despite some bumps in the road, AMP's plans are moving ahead. The company's initial strategy of converting Saturn Sky roadsters to its electric motor and battery system was dealt a setback in July when struggling General Motors Corp. stopped producing Skys at its Wilmington, Del., plant ever [sic. even?] before plans to sell Saturn to auto magnate Roger Penske unraveled.

The company, which has limited initial orders to the Cincinnati area to stay on top of technical issues, has begun production conversions. It hopes to have the first vehicles ready for delivery next month.
As with last year, I'm left wondering what progress these guys have made. If I remember correctly, the only technology they were working on was some control software for the two independent rear motors. Of course now it's about getting money.
Two of AMP's bigger rivals, Fisker Automotive Inc., which is developing plug-in hybrids and Tesla Motors, which is attempting to develop an under $50,000 all-electric sedan, received $500 million and $465 million in loans, respectively, earlier this year. AMP, which originally sought $20 million, has increased its request to $100 million.

Burns said that funding would allow the company to convert 6,000 vehicles a year initially to electricity, generating about 1,000 jobs.

Quick Spin: Amp Equinox shakes, rattles but doesn't roll us

"We think it's going to be a Leaf-beater."

The "it" here is the converted Chevrolet Equinox that Amp Electric Vehicles is turning into an electric vehicle (EV) and will begin selling later this year. The speaker is Amp president Steve Burns, who is obviously confident in the product his team is working on in Ohio. Of course, Burns was quick to clarify that he didn't mean the Amp'd Equinox would beat the Nissan Leaf in number of units sold, but in performance. Burns said the Equinox will be able to go further – it has an estimated range of 150 miles – and that it's quicker off the line. It's bigger, too. There's one more way the Equinox "beats" the Leaf: price. The Leaf costs $25,280 after tax incentives, but the Equinox will run you about $50,000 (after taxes). Read on after the jump to see if you agree with the ambitious start-up team that they've got what it takes to compete in today's EV world.

Saw a tweet today saying these guys have withdrawn from the passenger vehicle market. Were they ever in it?
Sorta. They first appeared in 2007 claiming they would sell a converted Saturn Sky. Advanced Mechanical Products Inc., or AMP New Totally Electric Sports Car Plann

They'd pop up again every year with some press release but no real deliveries as far as I could tell. I think eventually I saw someone had posted on ABG that they got a vehicle from them, but it somehow was unsatisfactory.

I guess now they've moved exclusively to trucks.