Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The around Australia EV route has now been driven on 10 occasions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The around Australia route (the big lap) refers to following as much of highway One as possible passing through (depending on starting point ) Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Norseman, Perth, Broome, Darwin, Townsville and Adelaide, adding a Tasmania leg to the trip is highly recommended but this is dependent on pre-booking a Spirit of Tasmania trip that fits the schedule. Highway One also passes through the Queensland locations of Normanton, Croydon, Georgetown and Cairns, but still has a combined total of 120kms of single lane road, this should be dual lane by late 2021.

Of the tens of thousands of people that complete the big lap every year the vast majority take at least 8 weeks and often over six months, they are tourists after all, those in a hurry travel via aircraft. This is an important point as many still believe long distance travel in an electric vehicle will never be possible, many separately believe it's out of reach until rapid fast chargers replace every fuel bowser around the country, DC is certainly convenient between locations of interest but not critical for tourists that spend much of their time parked up while sightseeing, eating or sleeping.

For the record:
Of the ten (known) electric vehicle journey's around Australia 7 have been completed in Tesla's ( 5 model S, 2 model X), plus one each in a Nissan Leaf, converted MG and converted VW, of those ten 3 have been Queenslanders, 3 West Australians, 2 from NSW, one from the Northern Territory and one from the Netherlands.The first Tesla was @RichardMcN in Tessie, the fastest trip was 19 days by @Murbs in a model X 90D.

The around Australia route (the big lap) refers to following as much of highway One as possible passing through (depending on starting point ) Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Norseman, Perth, Broome, Darwin, Townsville and Adelaide, adding a Tasmania leg to the trip is highly recommended but this is dependent on pre-booking a Spirit of Tasmania trip that fits the schedule. Highway One also passes through the Queensland locations of Normanton, Croydon, Georgetown and Cairns, but still has a combined total of 120kms of single lane road, this should be dual lane by late 2021.

Of the tens of thousands of people that complete the big lap every year the vast majority take at least 8 weeks and often over six months, they are tourists after all, those in a hurry travel via aircraft. This is an important point as many still believe long distance travel in an electric vehicle will never be possible, many separately believe it's out of reach until rapid fast chargers replace every fuel bowser around the country, DC is certainly convenient between locations of interest but not critical for tourists that spend much of their time parked up while sightseeing, eating or sleeping.

For the record:
Of the ten (known) electric vehicle journey's around Australia 7 have been completed in Tesla's ( 5 model S, 2 model X), plus one each in a Nissan Leaf, converted MG and converted VW, of those ten 3 have been Queenslanders, 3 West Australians, 2 from NSW, one from the Northern Territory and one from the Netherlands.The first Tesla was @RichardMcN in Tessie, the fastest trip was 19 days by @Murbs in a model X 90D.
Long time no hear @Blue heaven - I was wondering how your big trip was going. Looking forward to a report or two.

Reactions: Blue heaven
Now that's a trip! Atlanta has one perimeter road that circles the city. 64 miles of I-285. With the Tesla 3, I'm tempted to do a lap. The faster lanes may travel at 90mph. If I was carefree and younger, I might blast around it one time, to see how long it takes.
And funny - I usually drove 80-90, too. And still might. But with the 3, set for +10mph, I'll stick with that. Maybe add another 5, if traffic merits it. It's so much more relaxing, not worrying about cops. But I'm also now retired, and in less of a hurry...
(sorry, I just noticed this is the AU page. Get out your slide rules and convert) ;>