Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The auto wipers are............working!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an improvement in the sensitivity from 8.5 to 12.1.2 in the recent rains here in the Bay Area. Not perfect, but I didn't have to push the button once on my way to work.

The blades still go full bore when I get in the car and eventually peter out. Don't know what that's all about.
And all day yesterday since then, I had to set the wipers to manual or push the button. Oh well.

I am starting to worry that they won't ever be able to get this rain detection algorithm right.

Okay another data point - So it's raining in California/LA today and had my wipers on auto for my morning drive to work and it went full crazy mode when I pulled out of the garage. It was auto wiping on full speed when there was mild to moderate rain.

Had to change to manual and speed setting 1 for most of my drive to work.

Haven't had this issue since the previous firmware but looks like the issue is still present in 2019.12.1.2

Before reading the post, I scheduled a service call to fix the 'lack of' auto response to rain. Support replied to say they checked the cameras and confirmed the hardware was working properly and to anticipate 15-20 minutes with the tech to demonstrate the issue. Not sure if I need to bring my own garden hose for this service call. Even with the 2019.12.1.2, the issue persists. I live in Raleigh and the most recent rain (with hail) proved my auto feature useless.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I'm not sure this is related but my auto wipers worked pretty well until the 2019.4.2 update. Now the last two rainy day drives it's the opposite very slow response during medium to heavy rain and no response at all to light drizzle or "jet wash" from the car in front of me.

Since I've found the auto wipers occasionally wipe dust that just smears the problem, I have to turn off auto wipers to avoid that. I will just turn them back on when it rains. I much prefer a dusty windshield to a smeary one. And I was my car every week or every other week.

I'm not sure this is related but my auto wipers worked pretty well until the 2019.4.2 update. Now the last two rainy day drives it's the opposite very slow response during medium to heavy rain and no response at all to light drizzle or "jet wash" from the car in front of me.

This is what I’ve experienced as well since the 2019.4.2 update. Hopefully Tesla is still working on this...

I’ve had the same exact issue since the 20.4.2 update. Works fine at night, but not during the day, especially late afternoon hours. Hope they fix it soon, it’s not safe. Does anyone know if there is a place to report these safety issues?

Good god, so many of these posts it's like deja-vu every time. Always the same responses - seems to work great for one or two people in certain types of rain (so they're convinced it's better), then a bunch of people counter with how crap it is for them. For me it's still a million miles away from the multiple VW/Audi rain sensors I had where I never had to think about wipers, they just worked.

I'm not convinced this tech can ever do great rain detection like a good old, proven IR detector. Wouldn't be surprised at all of they finally give up and swap it out for the Y.

My old 2006 Audi was so much better. With all the focus on safety on the M3 and all Teslas, I can’t believe how bad the auto wiper system is. A few bad accidents with wipers to blame and Tesla will be facing a safety recall. I can’t think they want that! Had no problem with wipers on 16.3

• Informative
Reactions: 16Coma
My old 2006 Audi was so much better. With all the focus on safety on the M3 and all Teslas, I can’t believe how bad the auto wiper system is. A few bad accidents with wipers to blame and Tesla will be facing a safety recall. I can’t think they want that! Had no problem with wipers on 16.3

Pretty sure an optional "auto" setting that doesn't work great wouldn't, ever, be cause for a recall.

For most of the history of cars there wasn't even such an optional setting available, and it's not like it's required to be used.