Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The automatic spoiler should be an option for 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also seems so stupid to have all the hardware for autopilot, but not be able to use it for those who haven't paid for it. Crazy.

Oh wait, that's how Tesla rolls.
OK. Charge just for that feature then. But don't bundle it in with a bunch of other unrelated stuff. If the spoiler is supposed to do something (ie be at a certain angle when driving at highway speeds to help milelage) then don't penalize people who did not want the upgrade to the performance bundle. In fact the performance bundle actually decreases milage where the spoiler is supposed to help.

Reactions: Hoffa
If this option were available I would consider it for depending on cost.

I also accept that P90D owners might feel that, after paying for the P which is a substantial cost, they ought to get a level of exclusivity over those of us choosing the non-P car for what ever reason we make that choice.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I think most of your points make a good argument but I for one would like it just because it looks cool :biggrin:
If spoilers are that cool & the manufacturer won't make it an option. . . . you can always go aftermarket;
:rolleyes:

ugly-spoiler-6.jpg

Well. It has finally happened. @ssq has reported actually seeing a fixed spoiler X in the flesh. Hopefully he'll chime in with more details about where. Check the last page of this thread...

90D features
I'm sorry I did not take pictures but this was in San Diego at the SC and these were cars waiting for delivery. I believe I was looking at a 90D with PUP. Hence I inferred the active/fixed spoiler is tied to performance variants. The DS also stated the same thing. I distinctly recall all details, the non-active spoiler is fixed upright and no grooves, it is indeed a differently made part.

I don't know why I don't take pictures whenever I am around Teslas, I was just too excited to see so many Xs around me (5 of them in the delivery area), more in the service/repair area.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
I'm sorry I did not take pictures but this was in San Diego at the SC and these were cars waiting for delivery. I believe I was looking at a 90D with PUP. Hence I inferred the active/fixed spoiler is tied to performance variants. The DS also stated the same thing. I distinctly recall all details, the non-active spoiler is fixed upright and no grooves, it is indeed a differently made part.

I don't know why I don't take pictures whenever I am around Teslas, I was just too excited to see so many Xs around me (5 of them in the delivery area), more in the service/repair area.
Thanks for the more info on where and what you saw!

No worries on the pictures. I get the same way when I see an X, photo brain shuts off! :eek::p

When I went to the Costa Mesa SC back in March to pick up my wall connector, I saw a couple of Model X with the spoiler raised (both P90D and 90D's) I assumed this was just a factory mode

May I add that the way that I discovered the fixed spoiler was when I asked the DS why is it not lowering when the car was locked. That's when he said oh this is how we are making them now, fixed on non perf. I just recalled this detail and I feel guilty for not taking pictures.

May I add that the way that I discovered the fixed spoiler was when I asked the DS why is it not lowering when the car was locked. That's when he said oh this is how we are making them now, fixed on non perf. I just recalled this detail and I feel guilty for not taking pictures.

Mine entered production first week of May, I really hope mine is not fixed. I don't care if it is active, I just want it to go down when my car is parked. Were you able to catch the VIN?

Mine entered production first week of May, I really hope mine is not fixed. I don't care if it is active, I just want it to go down when my car is parked. Were you able to catch the VIN?
I am afraid but that may not be the case given that I saw a car to be delivered with a fixed one. I hope I am wrong and you get what you desire :)

If this is what you see it must be from very latest production batches. I saw two dozens or so X's at Fremont SC couple weeks ago in the holding pattern. P's and none-P's all have the same retractable spoiler.

I was the first one who speculated, either here or on the TM forum, that the reason Tesla was shipping retractable spoiler with none-P, but still only list it as the feature for P, is because the fixed spoiler was not ready. They did pull in the 90D production schedule from the original plan. Looks the fixed spoiler is finally ready now. Really not that big a deal either way imo.

This is not good, cannot imagine if you live in the snow and try to clean around the spoiler. Seems to me a silly thing to spend time to remake what is already done.

Call me next time when you got snow in Sonoma. I'll go clean them off for you. ;) But seriously cars with fixed spoiler are everywhere, actually more of them out there than ones with retractable spoiler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roentgen
If this is what you see it must be from very latest production batches. I saw two dozens or so X's at Fremont SC couple weeks ago in the holding pattern. P's and none-P's all have the same retractable spoiler.

I was the first one who speculated, either here or on the TM forum, that the reason Tesla was shipping retractable spoiler with none-P, but still only list it as the feature for P, is because the fixed spoiler was not ready. They did pull in the 90D production schedule from the original plan. Looks the fixed spoiler is finally ready now. Really not that big a deal either way imo.

Call me next time when you got snow in Sonoma. I'll go clean them off for you. ;) But seriously cars with fixed spoiler are everywhere, actually more of them out there than ones with retractable spoiler.
Yes, I know but maybe it is not as big a deal as I think. Just thought when parked if it went down it would look cleaner.

I think I did take a picture of the fixed spoiler inadvertently when taking a pic of the side profile of the Midnight silver 90D PUP. I have tried my best to highlight the fixed part and cropped out the rest of the photo. I hope you can see how the spoiler arm merges into a solid smooth metal/weld into the underbody. If I am mistaken if it was this picture, pardon me but I did closely check out the fixed spoiler
20160513_203106.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Porsche is one company that is known to use spoiler to identify model levels. It will never let customers to "upgrade" just that option but not the model even though Porsche has an option list of hundreds of items. Another one of these indentifiers is the red caliper for higher models like in Tesla cars. I think Tesla has learned a few tricks from Porsche. Incidentally most times Porsche has retractable spoiler on lower level models but fixed, and more prominente, spoiler on top models.

I actually own a Cayman S but that is still considered a lower model in the line up. Cayman GT4 or 911 GT3, Turbo S have fixed spoiler because Porsche wants to make the impression that people who buy these cars are driving on track all the time. Either way for majority of people it's still about the looks.

Actually Porsche had a massive safety recall years ago because apparently spoilers are functional.

Porsche dealers where installing only the spoiler for the aero kits and not the air dams. The cars where flying off the highways when wet, because of the down force exerted on the rear. Without the Airdam on the front to create a low pressure below the car, they would loose steering traction and hydroplane the front end off the road.

Because of the more pronounced airfoil shape of the Model X, and Bernoulli's principles. Tesla very well might have to provide a spoiler for high speed stability.

All cars create lift due to body shape, manufacturers of high speed cars need to create downforce so that they stay planted, and stable.

Fixed non active spoiler on a 90D. Photo enhanced to possibly show it better, did not take the photo for the spoiler.
View attachment 176505

My Tesla Wants (listed in priority):
1) Sunshade
2) 2nd Row Center Counsel (6 seater)
3) Spoiler (just want it to retract when the car is parked...don't care if adjust while driving)
4) All-Weather Floor Matts

I had another thing...can't remember it currently.

Updated inline ;)
My Tesla Wants (listed in priority):
1) Sunshade. =>> Elon will personally deliver a full size X embroidered Sunshade to the captain
2) 2nd Row Center Counsel (6 seater)
3) Spoiler (just want it to retract when the car is parked...don't care if adjust while driving)

4) All-Weather Floor Matts =>> BYOM (bring your own Mats)

I had another thing...can't remember it currently.

• Funny
Reactions: K-MTG
I'm (almost) absolutely crushed by this. Don't mean to be melodramatic but I love gadgetY things. I love the sound the model s makes when I press the park button as it just sounds futuristic. those little things make me happy. If the 90d has the spoiler I would definitely have gotten that no question.

I would've actually paid the same amount I did for the air suspension to get the active spoiler. I know it's rather foolish (can be construed ad crazy) but I would love to unlock the vehicle and see the spoiler raise up. It just has that effect I'm looking for. That's one of the few thinthings that separates the performance version which is completely understandable considering the price difference.

What a bummer... I'm really bummed... Geez what a Debbie downer... Sigh...

Ugh... Moving on with life now:(

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoffa
I'm (almost) absolutely crushed by this. Don't mean to be melodramatic but I love gadgetY things. I love the sound the model s makes when I press the park button as it just sounds futuristic. those little things make me happy. If the 90d has the spoiler I would definitely have gotten that no question.

I would've actually paid the same amount I did for the air suspension to get the active spoiler. I know it's rather foolish (can be construed ad crazy) but I would love to unlock the vehicle and see the spoiler raise up. It just has that effect I'm looking for. That's one of the few thinthings that separates the performance version which is completely understandable considering the price difference.

What a bummer... I'm really bummed... Geez what a Debbie downer... Sigh...

Ugh... Moving on with life now:(
Hmm..so no more sloww wave at cars behind using the spoiler, maybe you can still use the air suspension to raise and lower the entire car (and thus the spoiler) and do the slow nod instead.. gahh...not as cool as the slow wave I agree. I was also looking forward to an automatically raising and lowering spoiler, it would have looked awesome as you lock/unlock the car

Says the guy with the P90D! :rolleyes::p;)

I know I know but I really think that's the case too. Like I mentioned before it could be the other way around that some companies might see the fixed one as better. I think there is probably some model envy here because it must be something better if it's in the higher model.

I was showing my X to people in another building who have never seen the car before the other day. After the usual ohs and ahs someone asked if it's a loaded car, the answer was it's the top of line model, and then was the question is everything here in the base model too? I looked at the car and the answer is actually yes. The FWD, the three row seating, the pedestal second row seat, the interior (it's super nice especially with the ultra white), the panowindshield, the cool 22" black wheels, everything that has impressed them is either standard or an available option in all models. No one seemed to even noticed the spoiler. So unless you're a speed demon or wants to win the bragging right from your brother in law who owns a Cayenne Turbo S the none-P is a great deal, and better deal, whether the spoiler flaps or not.