Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The AWD (All Wheel Drive) option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Great first Post kabalah70.

Curious that the redline 14,000 RPM of the Roadster is double of this new system at 7,500 RPM.

Toshiba and Panasonic keep having great battery press. At the same time there are lesser
"brand" companies also doing some cool things. Tesla's take on the Roadster was to go with tried and true commodity batteries to eliminate any problems with new technology. Really smart for the first round. Must they be this cautious on the next one or have they learned enough to go for something exciting?

Yes, they must be cautious with this one. It only makes sense for them to "go for something exciting" with the Roadster as that is the company's technological showcase/halo car, but with the Model S or the planned BlueStar, it will be best to stick with what they know works.

The way to broach the Market with new battery tech might be an expensive battery package for the Roadster. You get to have them out there in small numbers, the wealthy pay for the operation, and if they fail, there is not so much of a hit on any halo product.

In the FVH video interview he mentions they are just now doing research on the 300 mile S battery. It's a long way to the Model S. I see them packaging a Roadster option first.

The way to broach the Market with new battery tech might be an expensive battery package for the Roadster. You get to have them out there in small numbers, the wealthy pay for the operation, and if they fail, there is not so much of a hit on any halo product.

In the FVH video interview he mentions they are just now doing research on the 300 mile S battery. It's a long way to the Model S. I see them packaging a Roadster option first.

Certainly makes sense. The Model S is much higher volume and they can't risk trying a relatively unproven battery tech. They have enough challenges as it is packaging the battery and getting the rest of the car done. Also the newer batteries will definitely cost more, and if you have seen the estimates of Model S cost (yes I know some exaggerate a lot) the base Model S is running it very tight in terms of cost.

It makes more sense to try it out as an option package on the Roadster.