TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The AWD (All Wheel Drive) option

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dpeilow, Mar 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Right, so the primary drive axle could also be electric. At any rate, there is no long drive shaft as some seem to have misunderstood.

2. Tdave

Tdave Member

Yes, I'm glad I misunderstood. And if I had put some more thought into it, I should have rejected my misunderstanding as unlikely.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's the way I took it too but it was vague enough that I did not want to take the leap.

4. shark2k

shark2k Member

Curious as to when did they say this? Was it during the Model S reveal? I don't remember reading anything about that.

-Shark2k

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

IIRC it was in one of those interviews, yes. I cannot find it now though. Anyone?

6. Takumi

Takumi Member

Yes, they must be cautious with this one. It only makes sense for them to "go for something exciting" with the Roadster as that is the company's technological showcase/halo car, but with the Model S or the planned BlueStar, it will be best to stick with what they know works.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The way to broach the Market with new battery tech might be an expensive battery package for the Roadster. You get to have them out there in small numbers, the wealthy pay for the operation, and if they fail, there is not so much of a hit on any halo product.

In the FVH video interview he mentions they are just now doing research on the 300 mile S battery. It's a long way to the Model S. I see them packaging a Roadster option first.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Certainly makes sense. The Model S is much higher volume and they can't risk trying a relatively unproven battery tech. They have enough challenges as it is packaging the battery and getting the rest of the car done. Also the newer batteries will definitely cost more, and if you have seen the estimates of Model S cost (yes I know some exaggerate a lot) the base Model S is running it very tight in terms of cost.

It makes more sense to try it out as an option package on the Roadster.