Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The bad "Add option X for resale value" argument

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you think Elon would purposely cripple what could be offered in the truly mass market EV in order to prop up the more niche luxury model? That wouldn't seem to be in alignment with Elon's goals on accelerating EV adoption.
Is not a matter of crippling it, it's a matter of bringing the cost down, as with every other part, a smaller motor is cheaper. They need every cost savings they can manage to get that car to their target price point. In reality lower horse power, especially on a lighter car, won't hurt their sales of the gen III. Lower range though might, I'm expecting MS like range (though a smaller battery pack due to a lighter car)

Is not a matter of crippling it, it's a matter of bringing the cost down, as with every other part, a smaller motor is cheaper. They need every cost savings they can manage to get that car to their target price point. In reality lower horse power, especially on a lighter car, won't hurt their sales of the gen III. Lower range though might, I'm expecting MS like range (though a smaller battery pack due to a lighter car)
Right, I was addressing the statement that Tesla would make Gen3's specs with an eye to "preserve MS mystique" to be "loyal to MS purchasers".

I'm saying Tesla won't give a damn about what Gen3 does to today's Model S. They'll make the best possible car they can at the desired price point. If that completely eclipses the Model S that are already on the road, so be it. Obviously, if Gen3 is capable of being that good at that price point, I'd expect the Model S to get enough of a redesign such that the new version of the Model S has enough separation from Gen3 to justify the price differential.