Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Bandit vs Slipstream Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's stickered to the car with 3M tape. Some of us have paint protection film, or just don't want to put tape on the car.
What's the problem with it? I have PPF and installed the front license plate bracket on top of it. Taking it off is the same as debadging anything from a car. And with PPF who cares! If that section screws up(which is unlikely) just replace the film in that area.

What's the problem with it? I have PPF and installed the front license plate bracket on top of it. Taking it off is the same as debadging anything from a car. And with PPF who cares! If that section screws up(which is unlikely) just replace the film in that area.

Some of us don't want to have to peel the film off the front quarter of our car. And since we're talking preferences here, companies have come along to fill a need. What's wrong with letting people do what they want with their own car?

Some of us don't want to have to peel the film off the front quarter of our car. And since we're talking preferences here, companies have come along to fill a need. What's wrong with letting people do what they want with their own car?
But you should not have to peel off the film I just mentioned that as a worst case situation. It’s a free country and people can do what they want with their cars but the logic in plate threads always seems off. People don’t want tape on their cars because.. tape.. yet install plates in a way that can easily damage the front bumper in minor bump situations but hey at least it’s not tape!

I don't get the whole babying a car thing.

For me the car is a tool that gets me from point A to point B. I want it to be comfortable, but I could care less how it looks doing so. A little adhesive on the front of the car isn't going to hurt anything. Especially since the front plate will be on the car until I sell it. Let the next owner deal with it if it is a problem.

Spending over $100 on a license plate frame seems outrageous to me. It's a maybe a $20 part at the high end.

It’s a free country and people can do what they want with their cars but the logic in plate threads always seems off.

I personally don't like the look of the Tesla holder, so I got an alternative that I think looks better. In addition, I don't have to worry about the tape curing to the plastic covering my paint. The tape curing to the wrap is the concern. It's not much of a concern of mine, but that's what people are worried about.

People don’t want tape on their cars because.. tape.. yet install plates in a way that can easily damage the front bumper in minor bump situations but hey at least it’s not tape!

If you're in a minor bump situation, it's likely that the paint on your fender covers will crack anyway. So anybody thinking that either is better if you hit something or something hits you is making a serious mistake and doesn't quite get what's going on.

I don't get the whole babying a car thing.

What's not to get? I spent a ton of money on my car, and I don't want the paint chipping off.

For me the car is a tool that gets me from point A to point B.

Okay. For me a car is both a tool and a pleasure to look at. Also, I take good care of my tools because I want them to last. None of my hammers are rusty, none of my wrenches are oil covered, my torque wrenches are set to their minimum. I've had a ratchet set for 25 years because I've cared for it.

I want it to be comfortable, but I could care less how it looks doing so.

Cool. Some people think minivans are great, and I think they're a pox on humanity. Some people like how the Pinto looked. Some people thought the Honda Insight and the GM EV-1 looked great. I strongly disagree. And I also care what my car looks like. You're free to think what you think, and I'm free to think what I think, because these things are subjective.

Spending over $100 on a license plate frame seems outrageous to me. It's a maybe a $20 part at the high end.

So buy a $20 one, or don't buy one at all. Nobody here cares what you do, we're all talking about people that want to buy a plate holder. Why do you care what we do?

So after drilling down in Craig's website, I'm assuming that you use (?) the Universal model. Everything else is Ford specific. Also after searching around, I found how his plate bracket mounts to the car using "no drilling". Surprise, surprise... it's taped to the underside of the bumper (at least for the Universal model).

Does the "thumbscrew" version also require no drilling?

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Wow, no mention of Craigs Custom Bracket?
Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets

This is the one I see mentioned the most on car forums, doesn't attach to the grill and doesn't have the ugly bracket either.
It's easily the most minimal of the options out there and works fantastic on my model 3.
It can also be thumb-screwed on/off whenever you'd like.

I would be interested to see how you screw the Custom Knurled Thumb Nut(s) ?

20160323_183435-1_resized-288x228.jpg
Thumb-Nut-1024x525.jpg

Here is an example with, I believe is a Ford Mustang:

IMAG1855.jpg

Ah thanks for posting a clear question! It comes with 3M adhesive.
Thank you. This seems to be a good option:
- the grill don't get damaged in case of contact with another car, and
- if there is any paint mark left when using an adhesive tape, this will not be visible.
Also there is no cover of the vent air flow and the license is at the correct height
to 'protect' from small scratch from another car's bumper.

I added a few rubber bumpers just for caution that you can see in the back there.
This seems to be a good precaution to avoid direct contact since the bracket is made of metal.

One thing that I would worry is a single point of attachment as the license plate weight create a little torque on the left or the right.

I would prefer using a bracket with two attachments and nuts, as seen in another picture above,
as this would be a little bit more isostatic.

This could be compensated by adding a little plastic leg on each side who will not be really visible.

If you just put a license plate, you might not need to worry, but in my case,
I am considering putting a front license bumper made of 1" rubber, which add some extra weight to the license.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohsnapclick
Wow, no mention of Craigs Custom Bracket?
Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets

This is the one I see mentioned the most on car forums, doesn't attach to the grill and doesn't have the ugly bracket either. It's easily the most minimal of the options out there and works fantastic on my model 3. It can also be thumb-screwed on/off whenever you'd like.

NICE! Had never come across this until your post, so thanks for the relevant contribution to the discussion.

Can you post a pic of what the setup looks like with the whole front end of the car in view?

Reactions: NeverFollow