Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Bandit vs Slipstream Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering how the Bandit / Slipstream or Snapplate hold up in cold weather and snow? Say like 0 degree with lots of snow. I imagine the plastic gets brittle. Does anyone have experience with them in that kind of weather?
Slipstream Bracket is the only one that's NOT plastic. It was designed in Colorado and holds up perfectly in sub-zero temperatures - doesn't become brittle at all. It's made out of rust-proof material (aluminum and stainless steel) that is not affected by road salts, gravel and mag chloride de-icer that they put on the roads for traction. No problems or issues with pushing up against snow drifts or large piles of snow.

Last edited:
That said, it sucks that many of us have to use a front plate, but I've been pulled over before going without. I'm not going to give the police a reason to pull me over.

I'm resisting as long as I can. I don't park in the city (where its said that the maid ticket you if you don't have front plates) or at places that are fussy about it.

the reason I prefer to leave it off: one less way for them to photo-ticket me (front photo only? yeah, good luck with that, lol). so many redlight cameras - and I don't trust them at all. no need to give the man extra rope to mess with me.

if I get a warning fix-it ticket, I'll put the stock one on, but not until then.

I'm resisting as long as I can. I don't park in the city (where its said that the maid ticket you if you don't have front plates) or at places that are fussy about it.

the reason I prefer to leave it off: one less way for them to photo-ticket me (front photo only? yeah, good luck with that, lol). so many redlight cameras - and I don't trust them at all. no need to give the man extra rope to mess with me.

if I get a warning fix-it ticket, I'll put the stock one on, but not until then.

This is exactly why I made SnapPlate. It goes on when I need it and stays off the rest of the time. I used an early prototype to get my fix-it ticket signed off.

Slipstream Bracket is the only one that's NOT plastic. It was designed in Colorado and holds up perfectly in sub-zero temperatures - doesn't become brittle at all. It's rust-proof material (aluminum and stainless steel) is not affected by road salts, gravel and mag chloride de-icer that they put on the roads for traction.

Why the plastic hate? Many plastics, like those used extensively on the car itself, are well-capable of standing up to the temperatures we live in. People were concerned about SnapPlates over the winter too. Winter has now passed and we had zero issues.

This is exactly why I made SnapPlate. It goes on when I need it and stays off the rest of the time. I used an early prototype to get my fix-it ticket signed off.

Why the plastic hate? Many plastics, like those used extensively on the car itself, are well-capable of standing up to the temperatures we live in. People were concerned about SnapPlates over the winter too.

Just looked at the product link you provided in your post. Are you making SnapPlate out of plastic using a 3D printer?

Hmmm. My Tesla has NO parts made using a 3D plastic printer. The Bandit, from what I can tell, is cut from stronger plastic material using a special CNC router.

Do you have some experience suggesting that melting plastic in a 3D printer makes it inferior to melting plastic in an injection mold? No doubt each technology has pros and cons, but you just have to design for the tool being used. Like I said, we have well over 1000 SnapPlates on the road right now and they survived the winter just fine.

One huge pro, IMO, for plastic in this application is what it's attaching to - a plastic grille. You'll find on these forums where the metal brackets have damaged grilles from over-tightening the fasteners or broken the grille from fender benders. Sometimes you don't want the strongest possible material.

Do you have some experience suggesting that melting plastic in a 3D printer makes it inferior to melting plastic in an injection mold? No doubt each technology has pros and cons

Yes, I am experienced in the use of plastics on automobiles. Either way, though, I think it's cool that you made your own part using a 3D plastic printer. We've seen several other Tesla owners make some plastic gadgets as well.

Just get the license plate wrap and be done with it.

Fred

This is the bracket I put on mine. Very inexpensive, easy to install, and I think the slightly lower position of the front plate just looks better on the Model 3.
Indeed, after trying 4 different solutions, this one is a. simplest b. cleanest c. OEM+ish d. inexpensive

For anyone living in a non wrap plate, front license plate required State... its ideal. Looks great too.

We have the oem one that came with the car. Asked Tesla not to install it. Our detailer installed it on top of the paint protection film. It uses double stick tape. No screws to attach it to the bumper. Looks much cleaner than either of those two in my opinion.

View attachment 360812
View attachment 360811
View attachment 360817

View attachment 360816
View attachment 360818
My dealer installed that for me and it fell off today, 6 months after it was installed. The double sided tape doesn't seem to last too long. The tape stayed on the car but not on the plastic bracket.

Since the tape stayed on the car but not the bracket, I assume that Tesla cleaned the car properly but the bracket/tape was somehow defective? It came off while parked on a hot day in Boston so not sure if hot weather makes the tape fail. Luckily since I was parked I was able to grab the plate, and also I was happy that the tape didn't damage the finish of my car, I was able to pull it right off. Glad it idd not happen while driving.

Since the tape stayed on the car but not the bracket, I assume that Tesla cleaned the car properly but the bracket/tape was somehow defective? It came off while parked on a hot day in Boston so not sure if hot weather makes the tape fail. Luckily since I was parked I was able to grab the plate, and also I was happy that the tape didn't damage the finish of my car, I was able to pull it right off. Glad it idd not happen while driving.
You’re probably right. My guess… some kind of manufacturing mold release, lubricant that wasn’t removed before the adhesive was put on.