Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The beginning of Another Airstream Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be getting a Basecamp 20X early next year (and upgrading the hitch on my X so the 535 lb tongue weight is not an issue). This thread is getting me excited!
I looked at the Basecamp back in 2017 and did not realize that there was a new 20 ft version Basecamp 20X Floor Plan | Travel Trailers | Airstream

When you get yours, please start a new thread about it. I would be very interested to learn what your Wh/mi numbers are while towing on a level, dry road at 55 and 60mph. The shape of the longer Basecamp looks reasonably aerodynamic.

Reactions: wreighven
I will be getting a Basecamp 20X early next year (and upgrading the hitch on my X so the 535 lb tongue weight is not an issue). This thread is getting me excited!
Slightly OT...why does a 3500 lb trailer have a 535 lb tongue weight? I realize that the batteries and LP tank on Airstreams are on the tongue.

As an aside it appears that AS hitch weights and GVWR have been increasing over the years. If one "really" wanted to they could probably tow a 31' footer with the MX.

1975 Sovereign 31' GVWR 5065 Hitch Weight 495
1982 International 27' GVWR 6000 Hitch Weight 490

https://www.airstream.com/wp-conten...g-coach-trailer-motorhome-weights-guide-7.pdf

Reactions: Nilnoc and ohmman
Slightly OT...why does a 3500 lb trailer have a 535 lb tongue weight? I realize that the batteries and LP tank on Airstreams are on the tongue.

As an aside it appears that AS hitch weights and GVWR have been increasing over the years. If one "really" wanted to they could probably tow a 31' footer with the MX.

1975 Sovereign 31' GVWR 5065 Hitch Weight 495
1982 International 27' GVWR 6000 Hitch Weight 490

https://www.airstream.com/wp-conten...g-coach-trailer-motorhome-weights-guide-7.pdf
The 22’ Sport was the last Airstream to have the original width (7.25’). That changed this year and it was rebranded as the 22’ Bambi and widened to 8’. Now they are all 8-8.5” wide. That’s part of it. And of course, adding granite countertops and heavier appliances also adds to the weight.

That changed this year and it was rebranded as the 22’ Bambi and widened to 8’.
Wait a minute...every time I watch the Disney classic Bambi she is always the same size. You mean Bambi is growing up? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note...all the Safari Condo Alto fixed roof models are 86” wide. The Model X with mirrors unfolded is 89.1” I find it convenient knowing that if my car will fit into a gap so will my trailer.

I looked at the Basecamp back in 2017 and did not realize that there was a new 20 ft version Basecamp 20X Floor Plan | Travel Trailers | Airstream

When you get yours, please start a new thread about it. I would be very interested to learn what your Wh/mi numbers are while towing on a level, dry road at 55 and 60mph. The shape of the longer Basecamp looks reasonably aerodynamic.
Will do. Admittedly it was a bit of a pipe dream but talked to my wife about it, and my in-laws (who offered to let me store it at their ranch house near my property when I am not using it), so it is becoming much more of a reality (and maybe even sooner than I was thinking).