Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The beginning of Another Airstream Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well following in the footsteps of many on this forum, I've joined the Model X/Airstream Adventure Club :)

My new Airstream Sport 22FB Bambi came in this week and I picked it up in New Jersey. My dealer was Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ and I have nothing but high praise for the job they did dealing, ordering exactly what I wanted, and communicating about the status of things along the way. My salesman was Patrick Boticelli--you can check out all of his informative Airstream videos on Youtube if you're interested. At delivery this weekend the delivery tech spent about three hours with me going over everything and making sure my questions were answered. Everybody at that dealership made me feel welcome and like a valued customer and they sure did love the Model X! Really these guys went above and beyond. It was interesting that while I was there they were prepping a custom Airstream that Tesla ordered with two doors etc for what seemed to be a mobile showroom. Everyone was excited about it.

I should mention that I also had the opportunity to see my unit being made at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, Ohio. I have family in Ohio and it just so happened that I could swing it to visit the factory one of the four days it was in production. I must say it made the whole experience extra special. The workers at Airstream went out of their way to make sure they found my unit and took me off the official tour route to find it. That place was buzzing! So busy and what a clean factory! The workers all seemed happy and smiling and clearly took pride in what they were doing. I know there have been many mentions of quality issues in production but I gotta say I am very pleased with the quality of my unit. When I was going through the factory tour the workers seemed totally focused on what they were doing, FWIW. I also loved how all the components they were using that I saw were tagged "Made in USA."

A few pics of my rig are below. As I've mentioned in previous posts on here, I'm intent on coming up with the best possible hitch setup for my Model X. Right now I am evaluating the Shocker Hitch made in North Dakota. You can see the red "Shocker" in a pic below. If anyone is interested I can go into more detail on my hitch research findings to date. My maiden voyage with my new rig was about 450 miles through the NYC/east coast shore line. What an adventure! Hopefully the first of many memorable trips to come :)

Some pics...

image2 (1).JPG

Picking up my new Airstream at Colonial Airstream in NJ

image1 (3).JPG

My new rig!

image3 (1).JPG

Supercharging in Tarrytown, NY. Several Tesla owners moved to the far chargers to allow me to pull in this way. I love our Tesla community! They were very interested in the Airstream so we did a tour while we all charged!

IMG_1357.JPG

Shocker Hitch

image4.JPG

Here she is, safely at home after her maiden adventure! I'm smitten :)

Well following in the footsteps of many on this forum, I've joined the Model X/Airstream Adventure Club :)

My new Airstream Sport 22FB Bambi came in this week and I picked it up in New Jersey. My dealer was Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ and I have nothing but high praise for the job they did dealing, ordering exactly what I wanted, and communicating about the status of things along the way. My salesman was Patrick Boticelli--you can check out all of his informative Airstream videos on Youtube if you're interested. At delivery this weekend the delivery tech spent about three hours with me going over everything and making sure my questions were answered. Everybody at that dealership made me feel welcome and like a valued customer and they sure did love the Model X! Really these guys went above and beyond. It was interesting that while I was there they were prepping a custom Airstream that Tesla ordered with two doors etc for what seemed to be a mobile showroom. Everyone was excited about it.

I should mention that I also had the opportunity to see my unit being made at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, Ohio. I have family in Ohio and it just so happened that I could swing it to visit the factory one of the four days it was in production. I must say it made the whole experience extra special. The workers at Airstream went out of their way to make sure they found my unit and took me off the official tour route to find it. That place was buzzing! So busy and what a clean factory! The workers all seemed happy and smiling and clearly took pride in what they were doing. I know there have been many mentions of quality issues in production but I gotta say I am very pleased with the quality of my unit. When I was going through the factory tour the workers seemed totally focused on what they were doing, FWIW. I also loved how all the components they were using that I saw were tagged "Made in USA."

A few pics of my rig are below. As I've mentioned in previous posts on here, I'm intent on coming up with the best possible hitch setup for my Model X. Right now I am evaluating the Shocker Hitch made in North Dakota. You can see the red "Shocker" in a pic below. If anyone is interested I can go into more detail on my hitch research findings to date. My maiden voyage with my new rig was about 450 miles through the NYC/east coast shore line. What an adventure! Hopefully the first of many memorable trips to come :)

Wow! Congratulations! Soon we can have our own Tesla/Airstream rally! I'm glad you had a great time, and would be interested in hearing more about your hitch. Again congrats.

Reactions: wreighven and Rossy
Wow! Congratulations! Soon we can have our own Tesla/Airstream rally! I'm glad you had a great time, and would be interested in hearing more about your hitch. Again congrats.

Thanks Jim! I am in very good company! :D And, thanks for the inspiration!

Jury is still out on the Shocker Hitch--it is beautifully made and extremely heavy duty but the jury is still out in my mind. More details to follow as soon as I put it through some more tests. I'm working with the manufacturer closely as they have never had one on a Model X.

Reactions: Rossy
@jamtek congratulations! You are joining a select company of @JimVandegriff and @ohmman . I look forward to reading about your towing energy usage and if you decide to change your hitch or not. Happy travels!

Thank you for the kind words! I was inspired by several giants on this forum and look forward to contributing as much as I can to the Model X towing knowledge base already established by @JimVandegriff and @ohmman :)

On my 400 mile maiden voyage along the northeast coast I averaged about 570 Wh/mile. Effectively in my mind I cut the binnacle displayed range in 1/2. The energy screen on the big display gives a pretty good projected range based on actual energy use averaged over the last 15-30 miles and I watched that number like a hawk. There really should be an option to put this projected range value as your battery range on the binnacle when in tow mode--maybe with a future update? Likewise it would be nice if the nav system used your projected range while in tow mode to calculate charging stops and plan your route accordingly--wow that would be nice.

Airstreaming with the Model X has been a blast!

There really should be an option to put this projected range value as your battery range on the binnacle when in tow mode--maybe with a future update?
@jackbowers who tows a Bowlus Road Chief with his X100D has reported that when in Tow Mode his energy projections appear to take into account the fact that he is towing. I assumed that meant the the displayed range in the drivers display also took that into account.

Thank you for the kind words! I was inspired by several giants on this forum and look forward to contributing as much as I can to the Model X towing knowledge base already established by @JimVandegriff and @ohmman :)

On my 400 mile maiden voyage along the northeast coast I averaged about 570 Wh/mile.
Airstreaming with the Model X has been a blast!
This seems extremely close to our findings of energy use in clear weather, fairly level range, and without much wind. We also figure the mileage is cut in half by the trailer (but we try not to get to zero!), so effective range seems in the 110 - 120 mile category before the necessity of recharging at either supercharger or campground. Illijana and I agree, it is a blast!

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: wreighven and Rossy
@jackbowers who tows a Bowlus Road Chief with his X100D has reported that when in Tow Mode his energy projections appear to take into account the fact that he is towing. I assumed that meant the the displayed range in the drivers display also took that into account.

The energy app on the big display does clearly take into account that you are towing and using more energy than normal and displays a "projected range" number in a box on the right side of that screen based on energy use during the past 15-30 miles. Unfortunately though, the binnacle battery range displayed next to the battery icon is not adjusted. This leads to this strangely subtle unsettling feeling I think because your eye is so trained to look there unconsciously for range estimation. I found myself always comparing the two different numbers lol. Wasted mental energy. It would be nice to just have the estimated "projected range" in both places when in tow mode.

Reactions: wreighven
I know I always leave the energy usage window open on my main display next to the speedometer. Wouldn't it be nice if the estimated range based on last 15/30 miles was also shown? No reason it can't be, certainly room for it.

I prefer to leave the navigation and stereo displays up on my 17" screen and find myself constantly switching back and forth to the energy usage screen since we all know the range indicator on the speedometer display isn't very accurate.

4106D4AD-9CFA-46F5-9B91-B5AAB95E04F1.jpeg
Interested to know what your hitch experience has been.
We tow a very light White Water Retro now, but shopping for an Airstream. Looking at weight distribution hitches.

Some pics...

View attachment 242723
Shocker Hitch

View attachment 242724

Our Experience towing our Retro is very similar ~580wh/mi. We have the 100kwh battery. Climbing mount Hood however I did get as high as 1.1kwh/mi. That was climbing at 55-60mph. Car can climb at 75mph no problems, but to tow from supercharger to campsite you need to keep it around 55mph in th climb, otherwise you need to stop to CHADEMO charge. I had ~18% charge at my campsite from a ~99% charger at the Sandy supercharger prior to ascending MT Hood.
Tried to share photos, but wouldn’t upload today :(

DD006729-9134-43A1-B481-97C42FC6BBA8.jpeg
01D1C512-5B53-4E85-9A6A-4823696B00E8.jpeg
9CECA632-6083-4CDC-94AE-3F56CCC054BF.jpeg
D1103E33-9B86-4151-BD62-9C334B55E073.jpeg
5C310B9B-12E6-4FE3-A774-A1CFCD9E7E2C.jpeg
DD006729-9134-43A1-B481-97C42FC6BBA8.jpeg
Our Experience towing our Retro is very similar ~580wh/mi. We have the 100kwh battery. Climbing mount Hood however I did get as high as 1.1kwh/mi. That was climbing at 55-60mph. Car can climb at 75mph no problems, but to tow from supercharger to campsite you need to keep it around 55mph in th climb, otherwise you need to stop to CHADEMO charge. I had ~18% charge at my campsite from a ~99% charger at the Sandy supercharger prior to ascending MT Hood.
Tried to share photos, but wouldn’t upload today :(

I look forward to seeing more posts like this, as I explore getting an Airstream to pull with my Model X. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it can handle the 22' Bambi. I know it has a total tow capacity of 5000lbs, but I was concerned if you picked something on the upper max @ 5000 it was pushing our luck a bit. Thanks for sharing...I'll be searching through all of these posts. And please give us some updates from the last few years! Thanks !

Reactions: JimVandegriff
I look forward to seeing more posts like this, as I explore getting an Airstream to pull with my Model X. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it can handle the 22' Bambi. I know it has a total tow capacity of 5000lbs, but I was concerned if you picked something on the upper max @ 5000 it was pushing our luck a bit. Thanks for sharing...I'll be searching through all of these posts. And please give us some updates from the last few years! Thanks !
FWIW, the new 22’ Sport is heavier and wider than those of previous years. They will be more difficult to keep within the restraints of the X. But used 22s are plentiful.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Also consider a 21 or 24 ft Safari Condo Alto model. See Towing with your X? New Alto model: 21 ft lightweight camper trailer They are much lighter than an Airstream of the same size. See the manufacturer’s website at Alto – Lightweight Travel Trailers | Safari Condo