Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The beginning of the end of free Supercharging ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any empirical data on how many FUSC car owners actually use superchargers in excess?

Also, in a couple of years, all the remainder FUSC cars will be completely out of warranty so I'm thinking many of those owners will be dumping their cars in fear of major repairs. FUSC can't be enough of an incentive for the average owner to keep their out-of-warranty car, right? I'm sure Tesla is banking on this.
If people sell their cars once they are out of warranty, FUSC will still be tied to the car and will still work for the new owner, assuming the sale is private party.

If people sell their cars once they are out of warranty, FUSC will still be tied to the car and will still work for the new owner, assuming the sale is private party.

You're absolutely correct, FUSC will remain with the car.

My point is that a diminishing return will begin to happen in a couple of years when warranty is fully gone.

Even for new/old buyers, FUSC isn't going to supercede warranty concerns (and third-party warranties can be hit or miss).

I'm guessing the average Tesla owner will be thinking: "If no one will buy my out-of-warranty car then might as well trade it back to Tesla for another one with warranty"

As a result, one less FUSC car on the road and Tesla wins a little bit more.

They can't forcibly remove it, there will be stiff legal battles and Tesla would lose easily.

People like me are the reason they are trying to make all these offers to get rid of free charging. I just drove from NV to NC in 56 hours and free supercharging saved me $1720. And guess what I'm taking the reverse trip at the end of the week. So that's another almost $2k Tesla is losing in profits. And I'm gonna be traveling the country and enjoying retirement driving the Tesla so I'm gonna be using the absolute *sugar* out of free unlimited supercharging and there's not a damn thing Tesla can do about it.

My concerns are if I ever get in an accident I'll have to prove the dollar value of losing that benefit which is why I love data collection and have been making spreadsheets with all the data so I can prove it's cost.

One can easily make the argument that I'd keep the car for at least another 8 years. And throw in the amount of supercharging I've done so far and my current savings to date you can extrapolate future use and therefore place a dollar value on free charging should something happen to my car.

Also side note the new cars suck, I love AP1 it's the vest version they made. I drove a new model 3 loaner last week and damn everything about that POS pissed me off

They can't forcibly remove it, there will be stiff legal battles and Tesla would lose easily.

People like me are the reason they are trying to make all these offers to get rid of free charging. I just drove from NV to NC in 56 hours and free supercharging saved me $1720. And guess what I'm taking the reverse trip at the end of the week. So that's another almost $2k Tesla is losing in profits. And I'm gonna be traveling the country and enjoying retirement driving the Tesla so I'm gonna be using the absolute *sugar* out of free unlimited supercharging and there's not a damn thing Tesla can do about it.

My concerns are if I ever get in an accident I'll have to prove the dollar value of losing that benefit which is why I love data collection and have been making spreadsheets with all the data so I can prove it's cost.

One can easily make the argument that I'd keep the car for at least another 8 years. And throw in the amount of supercharging I've done so far and my current savings to date you can extrapolate future use and therefore place a dollar value on free charging should something happen to my car.

Also side note the new cars suck, I love AP1 it's the vest version they made. I drove a new model 3 loaner last week and damn everything about that POS pissed me off
I'm in Reno/Lake Tahoe. Where are you in NV?

Well I'm in NC right now lol, but gardnerville is where my extended family lives. When I get back I'll be camping at Lahontan Reservoir for a couple weeks then off to Monterey
Wow literally coast to coast. Let me know if you get bored at Lahontan. I can meet you for lunch in Dayton or Carson City. Or when you push to Monterey if you're taking I80.

Wow literally coast to coast. Let me know if you get bored at Lahontan. I can meet you for lunch in Dayton or Carson City. Or when you push to Monterey if you're taking I80.
Yeah no worries I'll let you know, I'm retired so just out here chilling and relaxing everyday.

I'll probably take Hwy 88 because I grew up along there and like to visit my hometown but since I'll be towing I will probably have to take 50 instead, definitely not 80 though it's out of the way from gville, but I'll have to run the numbers to see if I can make it from Gardnerville to the SC in Jackson while towing on 88. Normally not towing I can leave gville at 90% and make it to Manteca at bass pro with 10%. That's why I gotta get on ABRP and see what it spits out if I make all the various changes.

Yeah no worries I'll let you know, I'm retired so just out here chilling and relaxing everyday.

I'll probably take Hwy 88 because I grew up along there and like to visit my hometown but since I'll be towing I will probably have to take 50 instead, definitely not 80 though it's out of the way from gville, but I'll have to run the numbers to see if I can make it from Gardnerville to the SC in Jackson while towing on 88. Normally not towing I can leave gville at 90% and make it to Manteca at bass pro with 10%. That's why I gotta get on ABRP and see what it spits out if I make all the various changes.
Got ya. I'm retired also. Every day's a Saturday 👍

Me too, but I doubt you would get far with saying your car is special and worth X thousand more to an adjuster. The insurance company would turn around and say well why didn't you tell us all along you had a "special feature" that we should pay you X thousand more for, we would have been charging you higher premiums all along. Ehh... it's a crapshoot, try to not get totaled and let the crazies on the road stay away from you. Seems to be a lot of people seeing a tesla and challenging me to a race around here anyway.

Wow, how are you able to drive so much? Are you transporting items or just driving to see the country? PS, feeling is mutual on the 3 along w phantom braking

Wow, how are you able to drive so much? Are you transporting items or just driving to see the country? PS, feeling is mutual on the 3 along w phantom braking
ok so i just found out my math was waaaaaaayyyy off for my recent cross country trip. all my other math was good but that figure i calculated on my phone and fat fingered it somewhere in the math. the correct number for the cross country trip is $325. also there is no edit post button which would be really handy for times like this when someonw makes a massive error in the post.

However, using a computer and verifying the math on an average month i save about $300 in SC fees with all the driving i do just running errands and whatnot.

i calculated on my phone and fat fingered it somewhere in the math. the correct number for the cross country trip is $325.
Ok, I was really wondering how you could have saved that much, in just a single cross-country trip.

also there is no edit post button which would be really handy for times like this when someonw makes a massive error in the post.

Yeah, you only get to edit posts for about an hour unless you are a paying TMC member. Though I think you could report the post and ask a moderator to fix it for you, I find they are normally very reasonable with issues like this. (Or at least they would put a disclaimer on it.)

Me too, but I doubt you would get far with saying your car is special and worth X thousand more to an adjuster. The insurance company would turn around and say well why didn't you tell us all along you had a "special feature" that we should pay you X thousand more for, we would have been charging you higher premiums all along. Ehh... it's a crapshoot, try to not get totaled and let the crazies on the road stay away from you. Seems to be a lot of people seeing a tesla and challenging me to a race around here anyway.
99.999999999% chance you’re not getting a dime for FUSC. And will be penalized for the mileage on the wrecked, heavy supercharger use, car.

The free 6 year SUC offer is nice, but it is going to take WAY more than that for me to give it up. Maybe if it was an even swap for a 2023 Model S with FSD and I might consider it.

Giving up my 'bullet proof' AP1 and windshield wipers sensor, parking sensors, sunroof, FUSC, and free premium connectivity might be worth getting a 7 year newer car with a fresh warranty but it would still make me ponder the decision.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
99.999999999% chance you’re not getting a dime for FUSC. And will be penalized for the mileage on the wrecked, heavy supercharger use, car.
well after driving 170k miles and supercharging 35,620 kWh in 6 years my battery has a Nominal full pack of 70.6 kWh which the car says is 235 miles and recurrent says my pack is in better than average condition to other cars so I'd say piss off with your wrong opinion about supercharging 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot 2023-05-01 173542.png

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
well after driving 170k miles and supercharging 35,620 kWh in 6 years my battery has a Nominal full pack of 70.6 kWh which the car says is 235 miles and recurrent says my pack is in better than average condition to other cars so I'd say piss off with your wrong opinion about supercharging 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 933642
Dude, would you like a comp of a low vin P85 with 221k miles and a 17k receipt for a new pack months before? Totaled out with a payout that was based upon mileage of the chassis, after fighting for higher payout? Showed the 5k additional trade in value email from tesla, showed the receipt for battery replacement.

I’ve been down your path of unrealistic thinking, but you do you. Call names, lash out, at the end of the day, bookmark this post for when yours is totaled. Would love to see what your adjuster says. 🤷🏿‍♂️

The adjuster is just going to prove what we all already know: The insurance industry sucks. They are a blight on society.

The adjusters people are not your friend. Respect them but they are not looking out for you. Be firm and have tangible, factual proof ready when the time comes. It will be an uphill battle and you may still lose but you won't know if you don't try. Never accept the first offer.

The free 6 year SUC offer is nice, but it is going to take WAY more than that for me to give it up. Maybe if it was an even swap for a 2023 Model S with FSD and I might consider it.

Giving up my 'bullet proof' AP1 and windshield wipers sensor, parking sensors, sunroof, FUSC, and free premium connectivity might be worth getting a 7 year newer car with a fresh warranty but it would still make me ponder the decision.
I completely agree. Even if the battery just dies, I would consider getting it replaced versus buying a new Tesla.
I wish Tesla still sold cars like the one I bought, including the UI.