Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The beginning of the end of free Supercharging ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, giving up free Supercharging and Connectivity is a nonstarter. However, good way for Tesla to reduce the number of free Supercharger owners. Makes you think if someday Tesla will involuntarily remove free Supercharging...

• Disagree
Reactions: VaztheDad
The fact they tried to unsuccessfully remove premium connectivity to legacy vehicles in the past without backlash I don't see how they would be able to successfully do the grandfathered supercharging. It's just a ploy to get people to upgrade but it's not even remotely enticing at the cars current values. Only way people would do it is if they are scared of out of warranty issues and were already planning to upgrade anyways.

If you don't mind my asking: did they replace the battery with the exact same size pack that you had originally? Was there a choice to buy a larger pack than original?
2012 P85 - 90 was only larger option. I ordered 85 reman, new 90 arrived. Tesla honored 85 quote and also did not charge me for suspension hardware & labor required due to larger battery. 90 corked to 85. Would cost me $750 to uncork to 90. I've opted remain at 85 because my driving doesn't require the extra miles. Let me know if you have any other questions.

2012 P85 - 90 was only larger option. I ordered 85 reman, new 90 arrived. Tesla honored 85 quote and also did not charge me for suspension hardware & labor required due to larger battery. 90 corked to 85. Would cost me $750 to uncork to 90. I've opted remain at 85 because my driving doesn't require the extra miles. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

at a savings of $300+ a month with having free supercharging that's not something I'm ever gonna give up.
I retire in 55 days and free charging is part of my retirement plan for traveling around the country. Now if they offered me $5k off and i got to keep my free charging I'd consider it because then I'd be able to charge in >15 min instead of an average of 30< minutes. i hate how they nerfed the speed around mid-2019. but I'll be retired so its not like i wont have the time its just annoying.
Now if they let me keep free charging if i traded in that would be a win win they would get a $100k sale and I'd get to keep my free charging.

I saved around $10,000 in supercharging fees in 2022 between our two Tesla's. Not giving it up any time soon. Running my cars until they are stone cold dead and not road worthy.
I WOULD upgrade, if they allowed me to keep FUSC. Doubt they ever would though... Even if it was only for life of ownership instead of life of vehicle.
The road trip down to Gatlinburg, TN we got back from last night alone would have cost me about $600 in supercharging round trip + local driving now that there is a supercharger in Pigeon Forge.

at a savings of $300+ a month with having free supercharging that's not something I'm ever gonna give up.
I retire in 55 days and free charging is part of my retirement plan for traveling around the country. Now if they offered me $5k off and i got to keep my free charging I'd consider it because then I'd be able to charge in >15 min instead of an average of 30< minutes. i hate how they nerfed the speed around mid-2019. but I'll be retired so its not like i wont have the time its just annoying.
Now if they let me keep free charging if i traded in that would be a win win they would get a $100k sale and I'd get to keep my free charging.
Out of curiosity, how are you getting your free supercharging dollar figure? Number of free kWh x ? Thx.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting your free supercharging dollar figure? Number of free kWh x ? Thx.
it used to be on the website but they took it down for a while now its on the app. click your account then account then charging then history then you will see a little download icon in the top right. that will download a spreadsheet of all your supercharging. you can then go into excel and do some autosum and get your averages. but you have to make the cells have numbers only so if you ctrl R and search kwh and replace with blank if you know excel you can figure it out its reasonably easy just look at the data and extract what you need. You can see how it starts and what I ended up with.

new.PNG
Capture.PNG