Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The benefit of Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered a set of S3XY buttons from Enhauto.com for a cost of £206.43. I have just now had to pay UK customs the sum of £53.28! This is because Enhauto is in Bulgaria and our country is not in EU
My son and his family live in Luxembourg. Everything we send him - he has to pay a handling fee+ Lux VAT. When he sends to us the UK add 20% VAT and a £15.00 handling fee. Applies to everything apart from paper! WE should have stayed in the EEA or the Customs UNion. Both were readily on offer. But apparently our "smart" Politicians and Civil Servants know better?

I have family in two seperate EU countries. I have had to stop sending them stuff and vice versa. Even ordering off Amazon they add £40 to pay for additional unknown costs.
I did sent a bottle of gin to my brother. It took 4 weeks to arrive and he was charged slightly more in costs than the bloody gin was worth.
The whole thing is an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. If only someone mentioned this at the time....:rolleyes:

But all the paperwork, admin, handling fees and delay in delivery until it all has been settled makes it okay? Looking at the wider macro view, how about the ball ache it is now to import and export goods at a larger scale and the delays lorry drivers have to go through now that wasn't there before.

Really the problem is the EU sellers don't apply the laws correctly. If they are selling outside EU VAT space they should sell without VAT, and you will pay the VAT of your country. If you pay a VAt to the seller you are paying the VAT twice, and the worst thing is you are paying the VAT (UK) of the VAT (seller), something that it isn't legal.
Some years ago I lived in Canary Islands that are an Spanish territory, so they are UE territory. But they aren't VAt space, they have an special VAT. All European shops, including UK shops before Brexit, ever sold me their products without VAT and I payed the VAT at Canary islands' customs. There were shops that never sell without VAT to avoid paperwork but the rules are clear, if you are out of UE VAT space they must sell to you without VAT.
Another problem is so many couriers take more money from handled your VAT declaration that the cost of the shipment or the VAt you mast pay. Only reasonable feeds are apply by Royal Mail.

Apparently there is a huge clothes mountain somewhere in the EU - An EU customer orders a coat on line etc, they don't know it's shipped from the UK as all costs are in the price, they decide they don't want it and so 'send it back' however it just ends up being stockpiled as the costs for re-importing are more than the goods are worth. Brexit ruined our retirement plans, thanks a lot.......

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
bUt wE tOoK bAcK cOnTRoL .... and gave it to ..... Boris!

But you avoided the 20% TAV in Bulgaria, and UK VAT at 20% was charged in its place, so you should have been no worse off.
Apart from the customs handling fee that the courier will charge on top of the VAT, which is likely to be at least £15. So, worse off.

'Cross border taxes' are always going to be a nightmare with each Government trying to profit as much as they can from any given situation.

Whilst I absolutely 100% defended the right of each UK citizens to vote as they saw fit on Brexit my own view was that, in all probability, less than 1 in 10000 voters were sufficiently well versed concerning the pros and cons to make anything resembling an informed judgement. It was a total catch 22 situation that no person or agency could legitimately be blamed or accept credit for.

I am neither crediting or condemning HM Government. I just believe that it was an impossible situation to judge.

Reactions: Smidgeon
'Cross border taxes' are always going to be a nightmare with each Government trying to profit as much as they can from any given situation.

Whilst I absolutely 100% defended the right of each UK citizens to vote as they saw fit on Brexit my own view was that, in all probability, less than 1 in 10000 voters were sufficiently well versed concerning the pros and cons to make anything resembling an informed judgement. It was a total catch 22 situation that no person or agency could legitimately be blamed or accept credit for.

I am neither crediting or condemning HM Government. I just believe that it was an impossible situation to judge.
Therein lies the tragedy. Attlee said that "referenda were the device of demagogues and dictators" or something like that. Basically open to manipulation and seems he was right? With Brexit the scope for opportunism was huge and seized upon, leaving the grim situation we find ourselves in. Dismal frankly :(

Therein lies the tragedy. Attlee said that "referenda were the device of demagogues and dictators" or something like that. Basically open to manipulation and seems he was right? With Brexit the scope for opportunism was huge and seized upon, leaving the grim situation we find ourselves in. Dismal frankly :(
Hmm. The whole concept of elections is inherently flawed once one allows the general population a say. Manipulation is always present either in terms of repetitive sound bites, promises that won't be kept and pre-election 'bribes' by the incumbent. Additional nonsense comes in when voting ages are reduced to mid-teens - the manipulable, idealistic ages. En Masse, the populace has a memory about as efficient as the proverbial goldfish and forget the lies, false promises and failed initiatives of those sanding. Indeed, I'd venture that many vote against a person or party rather than for a person or party. A better way would be the 'none of the above' option, when a majority could demand a new set of candidates.

As for Brexit.. well it’s a waste of time arguing against those convinced of their viewpoint but worth noting that all countries are at constant war - even if it’s just economics and shuffling the deck for their advantage and with Germany having the fiscal power of Europe and the French doing their usual collaboration it was starting to be a slow strangulation here. Sadly, when it came to exit negotiations we had a useless leader and a useless team with no courage and an economy overly dependent on imported goods and personnel and a stupid British fair play attitude backed by laziness and profligacy.

It was always going to fall apart as soon as we allowed MacDonalds, bottled water and takeaway coffee into the culture instead of building a proper economy and food security.

bUt wE tOoK bAcK cOnTRoL .... and gave it to ..... Boris!

Apart from the customs handling fee that the courier will charge on top of the VAT, which is likely to be at least £15. So, worse off.
Understand that, but whether you import from Bolivia or Bulgaria, the costs will be the same. I'm importing some parts from the USA, and I know I'll need to pay VAT and duty. Brexit wasn't just about costs, it was about self-determination, but at least in your case, the VAT and duty paid goes to the UK Government, and not Bulgaria.