Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The benefit of Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understand that, but whether you import from Bolivia or Bulgaria, the costs will be the same. I'm importing some parts from the USA, and I know I'll need to pay VAT and duty. Brexit wasn't just about costs, it was about self-determination, but at least in your case, the VAT and duty paid goes to the UK Government, and not Bulgaria.
Not really, the costs of shipping from Bolivia would be far higher. What could be smart is to negotiate trade terms with countries near to you so you can really get the most benefit of geographical advantage.

Also if you actually go and check the specific price being talked about you'll see their export price to the uk is the same as the price in the EU that includes their VAT, so while you aren't paying the bulgarian tax man 20%, they are just taking that money as an 'idiot fee' for the hassle of dealing with a country outside the common market. Then you are donating to the UK tax man (so the government can give it away in personal loans to help oil companies it would seem today) and to the courier again for the hassle of dealing with the complexity of the red tape.

I have family in two seperate EU countries. I have had to stop sending them stuff and vice versa. Even ordering off Amazon they add £40 to pay for additional unknown costs.
You can setup an Amazon account, using your existing Amazon details, in the respective countries. Your only extra costs will then be exchange rates & local shipping.
I use it to send stuff to my cousin's family in Oz. You also get to save their addresses as standard delivery addresses (so watch your UK account the next time you use it!!)
Buying on Amazon from a foreign country? 6 things to make your life easier - about a quarter of the page down explains how to set it up.

You can setup an Amazon account, using your existing Amazon details, in the respective countries. Your only extra costs will then be exchange rates & local shipping.
I use it to send stuff to my cousin's family in Oz. You also get to save their addresses as standard delivery addresses (so watch your UK account the next time you use it!!)
Buying on Amazon from a foreign country? 6 things to make your life easier - about a quarter of the page down explains how to set it up.
You really dont know what you are talking about. I was an overseas Amazon seller. That used to work, however now it is potluck. Even if you input the German address for your relative or customer, the amazon list of whats available drops to a fraction of that displayed on Amazon UK or .com, only including those suppliers willing to post to that country. It adjusts the VAT to that countries VAT but it remains potluck as to whether that item arrives unopened or without a bill attached. The only way to avoid it is to purchase goods from companies of the EU and send from them. Unfortunately there is a limited range of almost everything online in EU countries!

Surely the point is to avoid anything having to be shipped internationally at all? e.g. if you have Australian relatives, you use your Amazon Australia account to buy them gifts that ship from Australian sellers. No customs involved!

Might not help if you want to buy them something that's uniquely British, I suppose...

My son and his family live in Luxembourg. Everything we send him - he has to pay a handling fee+ Lux VAT. When he sends to us the UK add 20% VAT and a £15.00 handling fee. Applies to everything apart from paper! WE should have stayed in the EEA or the Customs UNion. Both were readily on offer. But apparently our "smart" Politicians and Civil Servants know better?
Not sure how much you can blame Civil Servants - I doubt there was a single Civil Servant advising the government to pursue a course of hard Brexit! Civil Servants have to enact the policies of the government of the day, and the government almost certainly chose that policy because it was popular and a vote winner, not because of expert Civil Service advice!

Ultimately, you get the government you deserve. People keep voting for Brexit and Tories and Brexit/Tories is what they get.

Reactions: Adopado
Not sure how much you can blame Civil Servants - I doubt there was a single Civil Servant advising the government to pursue a course of hard Brexit! Civil Servants have to enact the policies of the government of the day, and the government almost certainly chose that policy because it was popular and a vote winner, not because of expert Civil Service advice!

Ultimately, you get the government you deserve. People keep voting for Brexit and Tories and Brexit/Tories is what they get.

Yup. People voted Boris in, the last time with an even bigger majority than before so they don't even have to bother getting cross party support.

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face," sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

You really dont know what you are talking about. I was an overseas Amazon seller. That used to work, however now it is potluck. Even if you input the German address for your relative or customer, the amazon list of whats available drops to a fraction of that displayed on Amazon UK or .com, only including those suppliers willing to post to that country. It adjusts the VAT to that countries VAT but it remains potluck as to whether that item arrives unopened or without a bill attached. The only way to avoid it is to purchase goods from companies of the EU and send from them. Unfortunately there is a limited range of almost everything online in EU countries!
As Roy B stated, setting up the account IN THE RECIPIENT'S COUNTRY, using your own UK account details, will allow you to purchase at THEIR local rates, from THEIR Amazon store and ship at THEIR local rates to THEIR home/work address. There is no "potluck" involved, and no customs or other billing beyond that normally applied in THEIR country for local VAT/shipping/etc.
If the product list reduces, it is simply a reflection of what is normally available in that country, NOT what a seller is prepared to ship to that country - I couldn't send Marmite to my Oz cousin from Amazon Australia, as it's not a big thing there (& they have Vegemite anyway!)

It still works, as I sent Xmas gifts to my cousin's kids this way (he just needed to wrap them for me!).

Whilst I absolutely 100% defended the right of each UK citizens to vote as they saw fit on Brexit

I am neither crediting or condemning HM Government. I just believe that it was an impossible situation to judge.

Not many people realise that some non-citizens were also legally allowed to vote [1] on the matter

And I think it was actually a pretty easy situation to judge, or perhaps impossible because there never really was a plan [2]

[1] really not a vote, but an entry into an non-binding, advisory only referendum

[2] not attacking you here. In fact I agree with your statement "less than 1 in 10000 voters were sufficiently well versed concerning the pros and cons to make anything resembling an informed judgement"

The Irish Amazon page redirects to the .co.uk one. No way round it for that particular route.

I have ordered a set of S3XY buttons from Enhauto.com for a cost of £206.43. I have just now had to pay UK customs the sum of £53.28! This is because Enhauto is in Bulgaria and our country is not in EU
On the positive side. I received the buttons and installed them with no problem. They work very nicely. I have set up 4 buttons:
1. Fold/unfold mirrors
2. Open glove box
3. Turn on defog/defrost
4. Turn on interior lights

Ironically, in my experience a lot of the blame is 100% with the civil servants who implement policy so badly. Take universal credit or the child support agency, at a policy level they make sense, at an execution level they've been disasters, and its civil servants that oversee the implementation. No government wrote a policy to take 8 weeks to pay some on Universal Credit, but some civil servant bought an IT system they didn't know how to specify, changed their mind half way through what it should do and came up with ludicrous process steps while leaving the door wide open to fraud in other areas because of a liberal "do-gooder" mentality that few would try and exploit it. I'm off topic I know and Brexit may be a little different, but nobody likes change, Brexit has coincided with Covid which has muddied the water somewhat with a lot of price gouging by companies.

I've bought stuff from China and the US happily over the years, someone was even talking about Australia, and it should now be no different when buying from France or Germany. If it is, then that can only be the EU causing the problem because from the UK, EU countries are now no different to countries outside the EU.

Ironically, in my experience a lot of the blame is 100% with the civil servants who implement policy so badly. Take universal credit or the child support agency, at a policy level they make sense, at an execution level they've been disasters, and its civil servants that oversee the implementation. No government wrote a policy to take 8 weeks to pay some on Universal Credit, but some civil servant bought an IT system they didn't know how to specify, changed their mind half way through what it should do and came up with ludicrous process steps while leaving the door wide open to fraud in other areas because of a liberal "do-gooder" mentality that few would try and exploit it. I'm off topic I know and Brexit may be a little different, but nobody likes change, Brexit has coincided with Covid which has muddied the water somewhat with a lot of price gouging by companies.

I've bought stuff from China and the US happily over the years, someone was even talking about Australia, and it should now be no different when buying from France or Germany. If it is, then that can only be the EU causing the problem because from the UK, EU countries are now no different to countries outside the EU.
Actually I'd guess the civil servants present gov with optional ways to implement, and the final choice of method and provider is decided by the incompetent incumbent - you know the sort of thing - we need to buy emergency PPE and this is how it can be done - so let my mate who's the local pub landlord have that contract. Or 'these are the guys listed as gov providers' - never mind that they have a history of incompetence, they haven't actually been convicted and removed from the list so let G4S, Centrica, Capita etc keep tendering (do I get back pocket brown envelopes to seal the deal???)

Respectfully disagree. Civil Servants answer to Ministers. If Ministers wanted to make reducing Universal Credit waiting times a priority it would happen faster than you could blink. Civil Servants are spread too thin due to 15 years of public sector cuts and wage freezes that have made it increasingly hard to fill Civil Service vacancies as the best and brightest could earn far more money in the private sector. If you starve an organisation of the people it needs to deliver a service then the quality of that service will suffer, simple as that. Public sector spending is a decision made by Ministers. The Civil Service has to prioritise where it puts the limited resource it has - that prioritisation is directed by Ministers.

A cynic might also say that the government don't want to reduce the waiting time for Universal Credit, because Tories ideologically are skeptical of the need for anyone to claim welfare, so it is not an instinctive reaction for them to prioritise making it easier for people to do so.

But this is probably the last I'll reply on this topic, because I'm here to talk about Teslas, not defend the Civil Service :)