Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The benefits of not being a lead foot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> It's cold here in the morning, and I am using 400+ Wh/mi on that trip (this morning it was 500+), and the traffic is usually stop and go on the highway at that time. [ddenboer]

If you leave home early it might be handy to install a ceramic space heater (with the dangling cord ala ICE block heater) to be timed on ~one hour before departure. Stick a post-it note to the charge plug! Then you will not reduce Range by having to heat the interior. Kinda like warming up the ICE while you eat breakfast. Plus you climb into a toasty ModelS.
--

Hopefully the upcoming mobile/pc app will allow you to start up the car's heat while the car is still plugged in like I can do with my Leaf--saves a lot of battery kW.

I have my car for almost 2 weeks now and the Model S is my first electric car. I never owned even a hybrid. And since I have been driving less than 50 miles per work day and 80 miles per weekend day, I have not babied the car and its consumption at all. I think one of the joys of the Model S with its 85kWh battery is that you don't have to and still be green and save money. That is key to mass adoption of electric cars. The general public don't want worry about running out of power.

My first small test of range anxiety will be this Monday where I will take my first trip from Bellevue to Leavenworth at 110 miles over winter roads.

Bellevue, WA to Leavenworth, WA - Google Maps

I hope the stay there until night falls to enjoy the holiday lighting and then drive home. I bought chains today; just in case. Hopefully, my lead foot habits will not haunt me on this trip :)
LeavenworthWA.png

My first small test of range anxiety will be this Monday where I will take my first trip from Bellevue to Leavenworth at 110 miles over winter roads.

I hope the stay there until night falls to enjoy the holiday lighting and then drive home. I bought chains today; just in case. Hopefully, my lead foot habits will not haunt me on this trip :)

Beautiful picture. You'll be fine with that distance but if there is any concern, a range charge before you leave might make you feel better but probably unnecessary unless you are driving 85 mph to get there. Even then you'd be fine on a standard charge if you have a place to charge when you get there. Good luck.

I have my car for almost 2 weeks now and the Model S is my first electric car. I never owned even a hybrid. And since I have been driving less than 50 miles per work day and 80 miles per weekend day, I have not babied the car and its consumption at all. I think one of the joys of the Model S with its 85kWh battery is that you don't have to and still be green and save money. That is key to mass adoption of electric cars. The general public don't want worry about running out of power.

View attachment 13306

What route are you going to take? Just curious.. I might try this myself when I get mine.. but I'll have the 60kwh battery.

@FrancisLau - I too have been making under 150 mile trips/day so I haven't really dialed back my driving from "lead foot having fun" mode. However I have noticed several things in my first 1000 miles of driving:

(a) I display "rated" miles and watch my above/on average Wh/Mi. Usually with highway driving (60-70 mph) in cool weather (40°) and comfortably warm cabin I can meet the 90% of the rated value without much trouble.

(b) it takes a very light foot and restraint to average below 400 Wh/Mi for me. I thought of starting a thread titled "I can't drive 355" in homage to Sammy Hagar!

I'm having trouble translating this. What Wh/mi. does this map to?

What I mean is that I make it home with remaining range (rated) showing about 10% less than my 30 mile average (predicted) range from the Energy app. In other words, my average Wh/mi (the dotted line) is only about 10% above the "rated" energy line.

So I feel comfortable making 200 miles actual trips where 250± is showing as "rated" range after a full standard charge based on losing 10% (25 miles) by not achieving the 'rated' energy average, and wanting to have 10-20 miles range remaining when I return home.

@pilotSteve - Ok. So I think you're saying you're consumption is 110% of the rated rate. Is that correct?

I'm not meaning to nitpick here, just trying to convert it to the numeric language I'm used to working with.

@pilotSteve - Ok. So I think you're saying you're consumption is 110% of the rated rate. Is that correct?

I'm not meaning to nitpick here, just trying to convert it to the numeric language I'm used to working with.

yes, thats right. (technically I realized 10% under is not exactly 110% of but its close enough given this was my estimate of the graphic energy rendering)