TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Best Charging Adapters To Have

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by antdun, Jun 26, 2020.

?

What are your most commonly used electrical outlets you charge from when away from home?

1. Supercharging

82.6%
  2. J1772 Adapter

82.6%
  3. NEMA 14-50

47.8%
  4. NEMA 14-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. NEMA 10-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NEMA 5-20

8.7%
  7. NEMA 5-15

21.7%
  8. NEMA TT-30

17.4%
  9. NEMA 6-15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. NEMA 6-20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. NEMA 6-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. NEMA 10-50

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. antdun

antdun Member

Over many road trips I've assembled a flexible solution to charging my Tesla from varied electrical sources up to 50 feet away (15 meters) and I created a video outlining my solution which you can watch below. It's liberating for me knowing I can charge from varied sources of electricity especially where camping, or towing where supercharging is less common. This solution could potentially be expanded of course to charge from virtually all common outlet types. These are just the outlets I've run into so far. I'm curious to know what outlet types you have all charged from. What should my next adapter be?

2. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

If you're going to include Supercharging, you should have included CHAdeMO too.

I have Mobile Connector adapters for 14-50, 14-30, 10-30, and 5-15 but I've never had to use them. I've always managed to find a Supercharger or J1772 station to use when away from home.

3. antdun

antdun Member

You make an excellent point. I'm primarily talking about level 2 charging using the mobile connector in this post and video, so I should not have included supercharging since it's not an "adapter". Apparently I can't edit the poll anymore. :( Otherwise I'd swap out Supercharging for the CHAdeMO adapter.

Like I said in the video I did a nearly 4,000 mile road trip with just supercharging and the 5-15 adapter. For road trips to populated areas and along interstate routes then that's all that's needed. That being said my other trip to Orlando which was nearly 6,000 miles it was primarily along interstate routes, but I still charged at people's homes because it saved me time not having to hang out at a supercharger. In Texarkana Texas there's even a supercharger in town and I didn't bother to go to it because it was more convenient to charge at the relatives home we were staying with and the energy cost was not significant. And if you pay for supercharging then charging at someone's home is cheaper.

4. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

You forgot NEMA 6-50, which I have used. Have but never used any of the -30s.