TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The Big August Eclipse and Supercharger Availability

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Jken3, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Jken3

Jken3 Member

Does anyone know if Tesla (or anyone else) has given thought to possibility that Superchargers within the narrow band of totality for the upcoming August 21 eclipse might become overwhelmed with Tesla drivers needing to charge their vehicles on their way to see the eclipse?

I'm planning to watch it in Idaho, but I'm beginning to be concerned that I'll find dozens of Teslas waiting to charge at the Superchargers in the area.

2. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

yap, then you have to wait.

• Like x 1
  3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Exactly. It's not like Tesla can do anything about it.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

I think you can be certain that everything will be crowded. Roads will be jammed with traffic, hotels and motels and campgrounds will be booked solid. Restaurants will be packed. Grocery stores will be sold out. And yes, EV chargers (superchargers and others) will have lines.

Your best bet would have been to arrange accommodations a year or two ago and then plan to arrive two days early and leave the day after.

The chaos and mayhem bound to accompany the eclipse are the only consolations I have for not being able to make it. I missed the one in 1976 (?) for lack of reliable transportation, and I'm missing this one for reasons of scheduling.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#5 HankLloydRight, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    I seriously do not think it will be nearly that bad. I booked an AirBnB about 10 miles off the center-line of totality 7 days ago for $70/night for the 19th and 20th, near the Santee Supercharger. (2'30'' of totality where I'll be). A lot of people are going, but honestly, most people don't care enough, or want to get time off from work, to make separate plans to travel outside their local area to see it. Now don't get me wrong, A LOT of people (myself included) are traveling a long distance to see it, but while that number is large, it's a very small percentage of the population. It's also spread across the entire country -- there are THOUSANDS of cities and locations to get a good view.. it's not like everyone has to descend onto one single location in the country to see it. A lot of people can see it from their backyard or school parking lot, or even just pulled over by the side of the road for 2.5 minutes. The people going to see this is so massively distributed that it's really not going to be a problem except MAYBE in a few popular areas.

The bad of totality is about 70 miles wide, so unless you want maximum totality, anywhere along a 70 mile band that crosses the entire country, you'll have a great view. That's roughly 21,000 square miles of space for everyone to have a good view (unless it's overcast).

Please, grocery stores will not be sold out. Restaurants won't be packed.

Yes, the Santee SC might have some congestion because it's right off I95 and right in the middle of totality, but I don't think it's going to be so bad. You make it sound like the apocalypse or zombie invasion is coming.

• Like x 3
  6. daniel

daniel Active Member

I have to exaggerate how bad it will be to console myself for not being able to get there. :( But traffic will be congested as a lot of people living within 100 miles will be driving in to see it.

• Funny x 1
  7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Again, people will be driving to tens or hundreds of thousand of different, equally good, locations to view. They are all not heading to one specific spot, state, town, park, mountain, etc. Pretty much any 3 square foot area with a view of the sky, within the 21,000 square foot path works just as good as any other (weather permitting).

I don't even know where I'll be going... possibly the backyard of the AirBnB where I'm staying. And then as soon as it's over, hopping on I-95 headed home. I don't expect any problems.

8. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

We saw total eclipse in France a couple of decades ago. We just planned our summer holiday so we were travelling/driving (through the totality area) on that day, thus if cloudy etc. we would just be "travelling anyway". We turned off the main road about an hour (maybe a bit more, I forget) before the event, drove out into the countryside for a bit with a slightly high vantage point, and some leafy bushes (for the filtered effect), and animals and birds in the distance (to hear them think that it was Dusk at midday :) ) and had a spectacular show.

Even though we were kinda in the middle of nowhere there were other people about, but not so many as to be a problem.

Dunno if that translates into how things will be in your area though.

9. Electrophile

Electrophile Member

Well, there is something Tesla can do about it, but it would be a stretch for them: emphasize opening the scheduled new superchargers near the path of totality. The Rock Springs and Rawlins supercharger sites come to mind.... Maybe some requests would help?

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

In most cases, the delays in opening superchargers is waiting for town inspectors and the local power company to complete their tie-ins, so it's really out of Tesla's control. And dealing with local governments and local utilities, sometimes the more you push them, the slower they go.

11. animorph

animorph Member

I'll be driving south from Charlotte NC to somewhere in SC along the path. When we drove to Charlotte from the Columbia SC Supercharger up I77 in April it was heavy traffic most of the way. I may try to stay off the interstates and away from big cities for the eclipse. I'm thinking I77 going to be a parking lot.

12. Etna

Etna Member

I was on the highway between Paris and Brussels in 1999 and there was no congestion, let alone lines at gas stations. Apparently, most people don't care enough about an Eclipse to bother driving to the totality band. I find that hard to understand.

Some areas are going to be packed for sure, like Madras in Oregon and probably the Smoky Mountains at the other end.

I will be on I-95 in SC.

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'll be one of those people on the road (about an 8 hr drive to my destination) & using superchargers ... but I'm leaving a few days before and have a leisurely drive home the day after. If I have to wait to supercharge a few times, no problem. I have plenty of time baked into my schedule. Hope to see some of you out there!

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Me too! Maybe we'll bump into each other at the Santee, SC supercharger. :)

15. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

I'll be there too! Looks like that SC is going to be busy!

16. Graffi

Graffi Member

I really do not understand what all the hype is about....I experience a total eclipse every day, at my own home, from sun-down to sun-up. :)