Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The big question. Nag or No Nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just keep your hand lightly gripping the wheel so the car can sense it and there's no nag. If you drive with no hands on the wheel, it will nag every 5 minutes.

I believe this is an accurate description of the current incarnation of the AP capability. I drove from Pasadena MD to Salisbury MD (about 90 miles) and back in the last few days. I used AP on a sizeable portion of the trip (a 50 mile stretch on Route 50 on Maryland's Eastern Shore). The conditions were ideal, the roads are well marked, and large stretches really would not require hands on the wheel. But, when I didn't have my hands lightly on the wheel for an extended length of time (a few minutes), the car would ask me to hold the steering wheel, and ithe car indeed slows down if I insist on ignoring the "request" more than twice. This occurred when the system seemed perfectly happy with the lanes, and on straight roads as far as I can tell.

Too many threads on this, but I drove 8 minutes, 34 seconds today without a nag.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true. 8 minutes, 34 seconds today, no control touching, no nag.
Interesting, I tried it several times and always got 5 minutes within a couple of seconds. Perhaps there's some other way to reset the timer or it uses some other criteria. Others have reported times closer to 3 minutes which I've not seen.

In any case, I've never seen it if I lightly grip the wheel except for cases where it seemed to be unsure of where the lines were. I just grip it comfortably enough to feel the AP moving the wheel and so if it does something sudden I can very quickly take over. AP is great when it works, but I've seen too many scary behaviors to trust it.

After over a couple of thousand miles both long distance and Washington DC traffic, the autopilot is very capable. You just need to trust it and anticipate where it could potentially make a mistake (exits are one and merging lanes are another) and be ready to correct it. If I have to hold the wheel full time, might as well go ahead and turn it off.

Nag is about the same as 7.0. Used it today over 60 miles and got it three or four times where it couldn't clearly tell where the lanes were.

MarcG made some videos, starting in the following post, that show pretty clearly that his car does not have a timed nag, but rather that the nag pops up whenever the car experiences a turn that it has difficulty with:

Firmware 7.1 - Page 114

One theory that has been floated is that Tesla is doing various testing, and may have set things up differently in different cars, such that some cars do have a timed nag and others don't.

MarcG made some videos, starting in the following post, that show pretty clearly that his car does not have a timed nag, but rather that the nag pops up whenever the car experiences a turn that it has difficulty with:

Firmware 7.1 - Page 114

One theory that has been floated is that Tesla is doing various testing, and may have set things up differently in different cars, such that some cars do have a timed nag and others don't.
In that case my car is having problems with every single freeway turn no matter how large the radius or how low the G force

I believe there are at least 2 types of "nags"

1. The software is uncomfortable with the information gathered from the road ahead.

2. Lawyer driven random nag to protect Tesla against liability.

The nag appears to show a message on the screen before muting the sound system with the alert. Who is constantly watching the screen instead of the road ahead? I don't know.

Muting the sound system to issue the alert is VERY IRRITATING! and I wish there was another more gentle way for Tesla to request this interaction.

I believe there are at least 2 types of "nags"

1. The software is uncomfortable with the information gathered from the road ahead.

2. Lawyer driven random nag to protect Tesla against liability.

The nag appears to show a message on the screen before muting the sound system with the alert. Who is constantly watching the screen instead of the road ahead? I don't know.

Muting the sound system to issue the alert is VERY IRRITATING! and I wish there was another more gentle way for Tesla to request this interaction.

The muting of the sound system is only done for the second-level alert. Occasionally a second-level alert will be the first alert issued, but more frequently the second-level alert is preceded by a first-level alert--a message on the screen only. When the first-level alert is not responded to, the second-level alert, including the sound system muting, occurs.

Personally I think one thing that would help would be the option to have the alerts positioned in different places on the instrument cluster and possibly even an option to have something on the 17" display as well. It is easy to miss the alert where it is positioned now, so low on the instrument cluster, out of your direct field of vision if you are watching the road. If it were optionally positioned higher on the instrument cluster (I'm saying optionally--people who like it where it is would not be affected) I think it may be more noticeable, as it would be closer to where we should be looking when we are looking out towards the road in front of us. I think we would be more likely to notice it.

If something optional were to be incorporated with the 17" display, that could help as well. Perhaps a special border could pop up on the 17" screen when an alert is present on the IC. Something along those lines might be sensed more easily with our peripheral vision, yet would not really be distracting.

The muting of the sound system is only done for the second-level alert. Occasionally a second-level alert will be the first alert issued, but more frequently the second-level alert is preceded by a first-level alert--a message on the screen only. When the first-level alert is not responded to, the second-level alert, including the sound system muting, occurs.

Personally I think one thing that would help would be the option to have the alerts positioned in different places on the instrument cluster and possibly even an option to have something on the 17" display as well. It is easy to miss the alert where it is positioned now, so low on the instrument cluster, out of your direct field of vision if you are watching the road. If it were optionally positioned higher on the instrument cluster (I'm saying optionally--people who like it where it is would not be affected) I think it may be more noticeable, as it would be closer to where we should be looking when we are looking out towards the road in front of us. I think we would be more likely to notice it.

If something optional were to be incorporated with the 17" display, that could help as well. Perhaps a special border could pop up on the 17" screen when an alert is present on the IC. Something along those lines might be sensed more easily with our peripheral vision, yet would not really be distracting.

Pretty much agree with this, but I'll offer a twist. For those of us challenged seeing the top of the 7.x IC, why not just flip the vertical position of the speed/TACC/Autopilot indicators and the Autopilot toy graphic... Placing the speed low on the display above the first-level alert, with the Autopilot graphic above it. I believe most people want to keep their eyes most on the big speed numbers wherever they are, so with appropriate color and graphical representation would likely see the message when it pops-up right next to it, and then everyone would see speed (that not everyone does today since 7.0) and we'd only miss perhaps the most distant part of the Autopilot graphic covered by the steering wheel -- which honestly has the least value for me.

That's documented in the manual and is expected behaviour.
What exactly is the point of 'Autosteer' if it requires me to 'steer' the car around every corner? Every 5 minutes I can cope with but this is occurring much much more frequently that v7.0
I don't have a p[roblem with the software notifying me of it is unsure in fact I want that, surely it isn't suddenly unsure on over 90% of corners no matter what the radius?

What exactly is the point of 'Autosteer' if it requires me to 'steer' the car around every corner? Every 5 minutes I can cope with but this is occurring much much more frequently that v7.0
I don't have a p[roblem with the software notifying me of it is unsure in fact I want that, surely it isn't suddenly unsure on over 90% of corners no matter what the radius?
It's not unsure on all the corners, it's specifically programmed to nag at every corner, per the manual.

As for what's the point... well, I don't make the decisions.