Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The biggest surprise I have after two weeks of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 speeding tickets, 5 rear ending accidents, and your insurance is still cheaper? Sheesh

I’m pretty sure someone else with nationwide is subsidizing your poor driving habits. Hopefully you don’t crash the Tesla too and screw us all.

No, my insurance is not cheap, it was like $310/month for two cars in our family. What I said is that after replacing the G37 with M3, it comes down to $270 sth/month, maybe b/c of the safety features of M3? My wife is a good driver with exceptionally clean records so that probably helps a bit.

"Guy With Five Rear End Collisions Letting Autopilot Do As Much Driving As Possible"

What's the worst that could happen?

Yeah it may sound strange, but AP plus collision warning etc features of M3 definitely makes me a much less hazard on the road. The singly most important thing is that my average speed on the road goes down at least by 10-15mph. The second thing is the collision warning alert. My reflex is fast, I just need some timely help to alert me when my eyes were not on the road..

Do yourself a favor - do not, not, NOT test drive a vehicle with FSD. Once you drive with auto lane changing, you’ll see just how great Autopilot can be. If you think it’s good now .......

I know. Nonetheless I just start getting used to manual lane changing while stop/resume AP.

My monthly insurance from Nationwide actually goes down over $40/month by replacing the G37 with M3, to my amazement. This insurance reduction alone essentially makes my M3 driving free in terms of electricity used.

Like you I switched from an G37x to an M3, and my insurance was pretty much the same for both vehicles. I would guess I got a lowered risk given all the extra safety systems, but that got cancelled out by projected higher repair costs.

I appreciate your honesty in your original post, and am frankly relieved that the Tesla has you in a different mindset now .. let's be honest it was only going to be a matter of time before something far worse happened than the minor accidents you have had to date. As my father used to say: "Life is too short to be on a short fuse."

I had EAP during the 30 day trial (purchased before the free AP). I used it twice during my normal commute and never used it again. The only time I think it would be awesome is when I make the trip between PDX and Seattle. Since I only make that trip 2-4 times a year, it definitely wouldn't be cost effective for me.

No, my insurance is not cheap, it was like $310/month for two cars in our family. What I said is that after replacing the G37 with M3, it comes down to $270 sth/month, maybe b/c of the safety features of M3? My wife is a good driver with exceptionally clean records so that probably helps a bit.
Our insurance went up $50/Month from a Lexus ct200, and then another $50 when going from Sienna to X. I guess that’s normal. But we both have solid driving records. They didn’t seem to count the safety features either. At least i don’t think they did, we have FSD on both. Oh well.

....The top reason I decided to buy M3 is that joy of instant torque and fast acceleration - I knew I'd love to drive it fast (but not too fast given my driving habits). The second is the anti collision feature that hopefully will stop me from eventually rear-ending half of the cars around the city. Autopilot? I heard enough bad stories on internet I didn't give it a serious thought.....

Hope you do understand that Automatic Emergency Braking doesn't necessarily mean you will stop before hitting a car...from the Manual:

"Warning: Always maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you and be aware of hazardous driving conditions. While the ABS can improve stopping distance, it cannot overcome the laws of physics. It also does not prevent the danger of hydroplaning (where a layer of water prevents direct contact between the tires and the road).

Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to automatically brake in situations where a collision is considered imminent (see Automatic Emergency Braking on page 103).

Warning: Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent a collision. At best, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death."

Also be careful of cars you are following that suddenly pull out from the lane you are in to avoid a vehicle parked or stopped that was in front of them and now in front of you...ie the firetrucks that have been rear-ended. The car at highway speed depending on the distance won't be able to slow down and avoid something like that.

Might want to read up on the Safety features in the Manual to fully understand what they can and can't do and check to see how you have them set.

True. What I said was my early impression of AEB and later on I learned more about how it works. Based on the couple occasions the M3 gave me the collision warnings, it appeared to be very cautious and gave me way more than enough time to brake. So I don't really worry about that too much now but I'm still learning how to use AP safely and efficiently.