Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The biggest surprise I have after two weeks of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I don’t use AutoPilot if I want to feel relaxed. Airplane manufacturers figured out a long time ago that having people watch over computers doesn’t work nearly as well as the other way around. Babysitting AutoPilot while waiting for the next near death phantom braking experience is not relaxing.

you could watch a video of a coast to coast flight
And you might see the flight director
Take off
Climb
Level out
Make the approach
And land
Usually with pilot corrections (read air traffic control) for assigned heading and altitude

While pilots are watching for phantom braking (breaking)

in the real world having AP, watching it’s surround traffic, keeping distance, speed.
And FSD monitoring traffic, piloting direction, watching lane changes and exits.

Emergency braking let’s us all relax

and it’s only getting better

would rather trust an assisted computer than a human with short sight.

• Disagree
Reactions: rdskill and tvad
By the time FSD really works and it's been accepted in all the states, 10 years will have gone by. Tesla will be on hardware version 5.0 by then. All EV cars will have it and it won't cost any extra in order to stay competitive. And everyone's automatic wipers will work.... except on Tesla cars. :D

When I had EAP that damn thing would NOT see a car in the next lane coming at 15-20 fast than my speed and start to move over right in front of it. I made a 6,100 trip and my most relaxing time was when I finally turned off NoA and stayed with Auto Steer making my own relaxing lane changes knowing I wasn't going to cut anyone off and the car wasn't going to abort 3/4 of the way thru the lane change.

I love commuting the 40 mile roundtrip in my model 3. I use autosteer everywhere. Its so much better than when I bought the car 9 months ago.

They just need to allow us to set the speed on cruise control rather then using mapped speeds. I hate going from 70 to 35 for a few seconds because I am in one of the right lanes on I-95.

And that seems to be a the major issue

Do you set The FSD system to drive like a defensive driver
Or
Like just like the left lanes asses so you can coexist

and when does it decide to toggle between both settings ?

if people go slower than you they are idiots
If people go faster than you they’re morons

decisions decisions

...so my G37 rear-ended people five times...

I see what you did there...

No fault of the driver, eh?

Glad that your new Tesla should help avoid such problems in the future.
But do keep in mind it tends to only brake for objects that were in motion that it is tracking.
Do stay attentive in case there is a stopped vehicle or object sitting in the road.

Reactions: StellarRat and tvad
On some local roads AP refuses to go over 40 (35 limit) or 45 (40 limit). Sounds reasonable but it's hard to see why it doesn't do the same to other similar roads.
Autopilot will keep itself to within 5 mph of the speed limit on non-divided roads, though plain TACC (with no autosteer) will still let you set any speed. If the road is divided by a physical median or barrier, then it doesn’t restrict Autopilt speed. Many local roads have only a center turning lane dividing the two directions of traffic, or possibly just a double line. These roads have restricted AP speed.

So I have been getting use to using the adaptive cruise control in my daily commute starting right after Xmas. It was difficult to really let it do its thing without hovering my foot over the brake peddle “just in case” but now really adapted to it and relaxed now.

I can’t say the same about autopilot. It seems more work putting resistance on the steering wheel all the time when watching for the message to pop up. Between that and moving towards the left side of the HOV lane to allow motorcycles to safely pass I don’t see me really ever using it (talking about just my daily commute on the 101 in NorCal)

When I take it for a long road trip without a lot of traffic maybe I would try autopilot again.

Reactions: tvad
Let's see...I've been driving for 45 years now, long before there was any auto braking system and I've never rear ended anyone, but I've been rear ended twice. Once I was stopped at a light and once at a stop sign. Fortunately, I escaped with minor injuries. Both times cost me many hours of my personal time to deal with and loss of my car for repairs even though they weren't my fault. Maybe you don't think this is a big deal, but IMO you shouldn't be driving anything and need to take public transportation. You could kill someone. What if next non-attention "incident" is a child in the road? 10 mph could still kill them. As far as I'm concerned you're a public menace. Five times is ridiculous. Your Tesla isn't going to save you or someone else everytime.

Again, it's all my fault for the accidents and sorry to hear your suffering from such accidents. For the full record though, I have driven over 100k highway miles over the past 20 years and never came even close to any accident. I have also never even once come close to endanger any pedestrian under any circumstances. All the rear ending accidents, minor or severe, happened when I was following the traffic on local roads at low to medium speed.

So here is a clear pattern, that under high speed or critical conditions I have no problem to stay focused and attentative, but in this kind of very mundane and slow traffic condition my attention tend to drift. Yes, I need to improve myself unquestionably but in this post what I'm trying to say is that the tesla's technology can definitely help people like me. It's not so dissimilar to that eyeglasses can help, actually are required for, near sighted people to drive safely.

Reactions: KenC
Again, it's all my fault for the accidents and sorry to hear your suffering from such accidents. For the full record though, I have driven over 100k highway miles over the past 20 years and never came even close to any accident. I have also never even once come close to endanger any pedestrian under any circumstances. All the rear ending accidents, minor or severe, happened when I was following the traffic on local roads at low to medium speed.

So here is a clear pattern, that under high speed or critical conditions I have no problem to stay focused and attentative, but in this kind of very mundane and slow traffic condition my attention tend to drift. Yes, I need to improve myself unquestionably but in this post what I'm trying to say is that the tesla's technology can definitely help people like me. It's not so dissimilar to that eyeglasses can help, actually are required for, near sighted people to drive safely.
Your willingness to share this in a forum requires very thick skin. I give you credit.

Southern California freeway - heavy to moderate traffic.

Aborted lane changes, abrupt/phantom braking, left lane passing and then slowing rather than continuing acceleration to designated cruise speed, missed exits...

I share this assessment. Lane changing attempts are way too conservative for the driving style around here (Boston metro area). I disabled the lane changing in NoA because it cancels out all the stress that autosteer+tacc removes, and then some. The car is unable to change into a dense lane during traffic because there's never a large enough gap that it deems safe enough to move into, so I can't rely on NoA to take an offramp unless I've been camping in the right lane the whole time. The right lane is generally the worst lane to be in when you're in AP due to the widening of the lane lines (this has gotten better over time) and the car spacing itself out as it approaches an exit. NoA works very poorly in most off/on ramps here because they are so poorly designed and inconsistent in how the lanes are marked, and whether they merge into rotaries or other less-standard patterns.

Just so you know, the new FW(40.50.2 or so) dramatically improved auto-lane-changes. Its far more aggressive than before.

only for when you manually turn on the blinker, right? NoA still waits a long time after the blinker to move, presumably to give you time to cancel it. At least that's what I remember it doing when i went out to test it when that firmware was released.

only for when you manually turn on the blinker, right? NoA still waits a long time after the blinker to move, presumably to give you time to cancel it. At least that's what I remember it doing when i went out to test it when that firmware was released.

Yes, I so far have not let it completely auto-change-lanes, although I recall there are options to change or eliminate the warning that its gonna change lanes automatically that I don't think were there before.

It might save you most of the time, but keep in mind that the Tesla has a problem with objects that it has NOT seen as moving when it began to detect them. An object in the road that has not been "registered" by the AI as previously moving causes it have to question whether or not it's something to worry about and this is where you can get into trouble.

It might save you most of the time, but keep in mind that the Tesla has a problem with objects that it has NOT seen as moving when it began to detect them. An object in the road that has not been "registered" by the AI as previously moving causes it have to question whether or not it's something to worry about and this is where you can get into trouble.

Is it a tumbleweed or a rock?

Is it a firetruck along the side of the road or a billboard with a picture of a firetruck?

Is that a bridge (that we can fit under) or a semi truck trailer that we can't?

I think they error on the side of "if it isn't moving don't worry about it too much." because otherwise you would have too much "phantom breaking".

Yes and I have researched this topic quite a bit. It seems that ALL the present collision warning/detection systems, Tesla included, have a potentially fatal defect that they can not detect stationary objects on the road when cars are moving above around 50mph. It's simply the limitation of the current techs and I'm 100% aware of that. I think this is has been also discussed at this forum regarding the few fatal Tesla AP accidents.